COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols

Old 12-08-2016, 12:50 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

For a little over budget, you can get into a DW with everything you need.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...8+1+45ACP+5%22
Old 12-08-2016, 12:57 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
For a little over budget, you can get into a DW with everything you need.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...8+1+45ACP+5%22
... !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Ahem...... if you can find one under $1k.

Of the ones I have I got them all on Gunbroker or Buds. My Ranger II was well under 1k and is a GREAT gun, my Trojan 5.0 was slightly over the 1K mark 7 years ago though. The other was WAY under 1K but it was a armscore gun that STI had made for them and just put their name on so it was basicly a RIA. STI's Spartan line wasn't in house built. No longer sell that line.

STI's are great!! Yes the Guardian is way over 1K...so pretty
Old 12-08-2016, 04:52 PM
COTEP Member

Thank you all for such great info and willingness to help a newbie of .45 ACP 1911. I heavily leaning to a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded. What you say? I like it, the appointments look top notch, it comes already with what could be regarded as custom work... ?

ETA: I could also go with a Stainless Steel Colt Competition Pistol, looks darn beautiful to me.

Last edited by pitor; 12-08-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:57 PM
COTEP Member

I'm a Colt fan and have a few so I say get THE iconic 1911 ... an original Colt. Regardless of what you buy I suggest you check out prices/selection at Grab A Gun. They have great prices and excellent service in my experience. I'd also suggest that once you decide which one you want, you watch the prices for the next month. I'd be surprised if there weren't some nice sales around Christmas/New Year this season.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:14 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2A View Post
I'm a Colt fan and have a few so I say get THE iconic 1911 ... an original Colt. Regardless of what you buy I suggest you check out prices/selection at Grab A Gun. They have great prices and excellent service in my experience. I'd also suggest that once you decide which one you want, you watch the prices for the next month. I'd be surprised if there weren't some nice sales around Christmas/New Year this season.
Great info and making this decision even harder. I truly love the Colts for what they stand, what they represent, and how beautiful their 1911 slow. Grab a gun, huh? Is that a website or an actual physical store?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:20 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Great info and making this decision even harder. I truly love the Colts for what they stand, what they represent, and how beautiful their 1911 slow. Grab a gun, huh? Is that a website or an actual physical store?
Both but it's in TX so for us Sunshine staters it's online. They ship for six dollars though and more often than not have the best online prices, delivered. Bud's might show a cheaper 'cash' price but I cannot be bothered to send a check or MO in 2016
Old 12-08-2016, 05:24 PM
COTEP Member

I have a quick question, can someone explain to me the advantages or need of a flared and lowered ejection port? I've heard it helps with the ejection of spent brass and not getting
it dinged up, apart from adding aesthetic value to the gun.

The Springfield Armory loaded model comes with a flare and lowered ejection Port, it seems the the Colt does not

ETA: what about the main spring housing? Flat or rounded? This is just a preference in terms of how the grip feels in one's hand?

Last edited by pitor; 12-08-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:28 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
I have a quick question, can someone explain to me the advantages or need of a flared and lowered ejection port? I've heard it helps with the ejection of spent brass and not getting
it dinged up, apart from adding aesthetic value to the gun.

The Springfield Armory loaded model comes with a flare and lowered ejection Port, it seems the the Colt does not

ETA: what about the main spring housing? Flat or rounded? This is just a preference in terms of how the grip feels in one's hand?
It's pretty much to guarantee reliable ejection of spent casings. Do you "need" it? Depends on the pistol and if has week ejection I think. Any who, it doesn't hurt to have it.

Yes, the MSH decision will be up to you and how it feels in your hand. I have medium to small hands so, I prefer the flat. I would go to your LGS and hold a few rounded and a few flat and see how it feels to you. It also helps with point ability (at least for me) as well.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:30 PM
COTEP Member

I like Grab-a-gun as well as Buds, both places are good to deal with. Also, Buds does price matching and/or "OBO Or Best Offer" plus free shipping.