COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols

Old 12-31-2014, 01:02 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I put the first 3 mags of my SWC reloads through the gun just a few minutes ago.

The gun doesn't seem to want to feed them. Dropping the slide lock on a loaded mag feeds perfectly, but the slingshot method won't feed. It's like the round is feeding at too step is an angle and gets bound up. I can drop the mag and lock the slide open and raise the bottom of the jammed round and it will slide right in. I was getting about 2 to 3 FTFs each mag.

I know these reloads cycle fine in all the other 1911s I've had over the years. I'll probably head out to the range tomorrow and put several hundred more through the gun and see if that helps with the break in.

Class 07 FFL and Dan Wesson Dealer
Old 12-31-2014, 01:20 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Thanks for t ghost e range report, hope it clears up for you. Sure is a purdy pistol.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

So I rang in the new year with a trip to the gun range at about 9AM this morning! I only took the Night Watchman and 300 rounds of ammo. I cleaned and relubed the gun before heading out to the range.

I continued to have the FTF malfunctions which I believe are called 3-point jams. Towards the end of the session, I noticed that the malfunctions were decreasing, but I was still average 1 or 2 per mag. The Ruger factory mag that came with the gun would rarely have an FTF though. I thinking that some additional break in might help cure this problem. But have I have several Mec Gar mags that I have never had any problems with and they seemed to have the highest rate of FTFs with this Ruger.

Another thing I noticed is that the recoil spring might be a little light. I was throwing brass into the next county. Much further than my 10mms throw their brass. I'm wondering if a stiffer recoil spring would have more power to chamber the rounds instead of causing a 3 point jam.

Other than the FTFs and throwing brass excessively far, I had no other problems with the gun. It shot very well and accuracy was very good. I shot from a rest also and noticed that the gun shoots left, so I'll need to drift the rear sight a little bit. The trigger is still heavier than I like, but I loaned my gauge out so I can't check it right now after a good range session under it's belt. I'll try to keep updating as it progresses since this is still a fairly new model without a lot of info on the forums.

Class 07 FFL and Dan Wesson Dealer