COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 01-17-2018, 06:26 AM
COTEP Member

Unhappy Boy, 6, dies from rabies ...

... after being scratched by sick bat.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/01/15/florida-boy-6-dies-from-rabies-after-being-scratched-by-sick-bat.html

So sad !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RKP For This Useful Post:
FfNJGTFO (01-17-2018), skosh69 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
Sad indeed. And I don't mean to sound insensitive in re: the parents' loss and suffering, but I have to wonder if the parents will face charges for not providing adequate medical care when it might have made the difference (i.e. the article said he didn't take the son to the doctor right away because he (son) didn't like the shots/vaccinations).

I mean, I know those rabies series shots are horrifically painful, but that's one disease with which you don't mess around. I've seen massive efforts by EMS and LE to find rabid animals and get them tested in order to avoid having to give those shots to some kids. I've seen kids in agony as the shots are being administered. I've seen pet owners in agony when their animal has to be destroyed, having tested positive for rabies.

I, myself was bitten by a dog once while at college. And, although it was just a scratch, I was ordered to go the local hospital by my RA and be treated with anti-biotics, etc. And, much against my wishes, two different LEAs were called to my treatment bed (where I had to wash my own wound ) to interview me. The hospital called the local City police (City of Evanston, Ill.), and they (in turn - again, against my wishes) called the Chicago Police (where the bite occurred). The objective being, to locate the dog that bit me and have it tested. I didn't want that, because I knew that the dog would have been quarantined for a time, which I didn't want for the owners of the shop. I never found out what happened, but I have to assume it was not a rabid dog, or I would have been notified to begin the vaccination series. Thankfully, I wasn't.

Point being, they (EMS/LE) didn't mess around and did what had to be done, even against my wishes as an adult. I hope we can all learn from this tragedy and seek immediate care at the slightest suspicion of an animal bite.

May the young lad rest in peace and be received into Heaven quickly!
Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I feel for the kid.....parents should know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

I feel the same way, very sad. But if they knew it was a bad medical attention should have been taken right away.

Parents are pretty sad in my book because the child didn't like getting shots, who the f likes getting shots at all. Dumb decisions make bad choices.....very sad. They should have known better and should be charged!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Sad indeed. But the theres a lesson here folks, don’t f**k with the wildlife people.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:46 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
Sad indeed. And I don't mean to sound insensitive in re: the parents' loss and suffering, but I have to wonder if the parents will face charges for not providing adequate medical care when it might have made the difference (i.e. the article said he didn't take the son to the doctor right away because he (son) didn't like the shots/vaccinations).

I mean, I know those rabies series shots are horrifically painful, but that's one disease with which you don't mess around. I've seen massive efforts by EMS and LE to find rabid animals and get them tested in order to avoid having to give those shots to some kids. I've seen kids in agony as the shots are being administered. I've seen pet owners in agony when their animal has to be destroyed, having tested positive for rabies.

I, myself was bitten by a dog once while at college. And, although it was just a scratch, I was ordered to go the local hospital by my RA and be treated with anti-biotics, etc. And, much against my wishes, two different LEAs were called to my treatment bed (where I had to wash my own wound ) to interview me. The hospital called the local City police (City of Evanston, Ill.), and they (in turn - again, against my wishes) called the Chicago Police (where the bite occurred). The objective being, to locate the dog that bit me and have it tested. I didn't want that, because I knew that the dog would have been quarantined for a time, which I didn't want for the owners of the shop. I never found out what happened, but I have to assume it was not a rabid dog, or I would have been notified to begin the vaccination series. Thankfully, I wasn't.

Point being, they (EMS/LE) didn't mess around and did what had to be done, even against my wishes as an adult. I hope we can all learn from this tragedy and seek immediate care at the slightest suspicion of an animal bite.

May the young lad rest in peace and be received into Heaven quickly!
It may have been against your wishes but they had an obligation to others to make sure the dog wasn’t a rabies threat to others as well.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
It may have been against your wishes but they had an obligation to others to make sure the dog wasn’t a rabies threat to others as well.
Oh, I know.... and, in hindsight, I absolutely agree with what they did... which was my point in mentioning it.