COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 02-16-2018, 11:17 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts
Default Here goes

A few simple questions:

1) Do you use Government issued ammo cans to store loaded ammo?
2) Also reloading supplies like: primers and dies?
3) How do you keep moisture out of yours?

Yes we all know is only allowed one rd per gun he has in Commieland lol

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NAMVET72 For This Useful Post:
Gatorade (02-16-2018), RKP (02-17-2018), sdmc530 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:41 PM
COTEP Member

Loaded ammo goes in either .30 cal or .50 cal cans. Primers or primed brass go in a Plano plastic ammo can, powder in an MTM plastic Zombie can. My thinking was I didn’t want the powder or primers in a sealed metal can if they happen to be in a fire. If the fire is so hot that it melts the can and the jug the powder is in then the powder lighting off won’t make that much of a difference. However in a sealed metal can if there is enough heat to ignite the powder then you could have some shrapnel issues. I throw a pouch or two of desiccant I save from new items like electronics. My last small tv had three or four of them.

Dies, sizers, trays, scales, press, measures and components like brass and projectiles are all on the bench. Even in South Florida humidity I only had some surface discoloration on one or two of my oldest die sets. Ever year or so I give them a wipe down and spray with Rem oil just in case.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 PM
COTEP Member

I store ammo in USGI ammo cans. I use silica gel packets to help absorb moisture. Every 6 months or so, I heat the gel packs in an oven set to 225 for about 30 minutes to get rid of any absorbed moisture.

Never store loose, bulk powder or primers in a USGI ammo can. Once you latch the can, you have a bomb.

Never store loose powder or primers in a gun safe for the same reason.

I keep my dies in die boxes on a shelf, powder and primers are kept in original packages, on an open shelf.

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

Last edited by AFJuvat; 02-16-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

1: Plastic ammo cans similar to the metal USGI cans, MTM brand I think.

2: Powder and primers are just stored in their original containers in a wooden cabinet - in an air conditioned room. Ditto with dies and all other reloading supplies. I used to keep them in the shop, but I had problems with rust.

3: I have metal desiccant packs that can be refreshed in the oven. There is a little window and when it turns pink it's time to refresh it.

Similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Sil.../dp/B006L882NM

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 02-17-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:12 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

All my ammo goes in MTM cases and in a cupboard up high. No issues with moisture really here in SD but I do keep the gun room temp and humidity controlled. Same with reloading supplies. In original containers in a cool dark dry cupboard. Never had an issue yet thank goodness. If it’s not reloaded ammo it stays in the factory box but I don’t have much new ammo around. That is pretty rare these days.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

All my ammo are kept in their original boxes in the attic. I have several old military ammo cans filled with the more common ammo I use for training and such. When they get low I refill them from my stock. Those I keep in my closet.
My house is sealed all year around due to my daughter’s allergies so it’s always temperature controlled. I’ve also never had any issues in the attic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Here's mine: Long term storage of loaded ammo, vacuum packed and stored in a locked locker in my garage.

Short term loaded ammo, on a shelf in my gun room, which is climate control and locked at all times.

Powder and primers: Kept separate from one another. Primers in a plastic ammo box, powder in my gun room, although I'm thinking of taking the powder over to my storage unit and picking it up during loading days.
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.