COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 06-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
My only 1 cent is that unless you shoot A LOT! (5-10,000?) rounds a month, it doesn't make sense (to me). You are relying on your attention for detail.

I tried it, froze, and never finished one round, sold the whole lot.

I have an Ammo Can full of commercial ammo. I'm fine.
Yep, I get that^^^and there is nothing with buying all your ammo, nothing wrong at all but saying its not worth it isn't completely true.

I shoot about 5-6K of .45 per year give or take. If you do the math on that alone you save enough to make it worth it.

Buying 45 230gr at a local store you pay someplace in the .40 cents range give or take a few cents. When I reload it costs me in the range of .18 cents assuming I didn't buy any new brass ( I never do ). So you save .22 cents(ish) per round fired. Now take that 5,000*$0.22=$1,100. I don't think I save quite this much but you get the idea. It is defiantly worth it. (to me) Now time, I can load about 2,000 rounds a session per day without getting really bored but in a wintery weekend I will do the 5K rounds I shoot in a year and be set. Now when you factor in the 10MM I also load and some other odd stuff for my FIL and stuff for myself its so worth the investment (to me).

I have a Dillon press, the higher end priced press. If you go a bit more conservative and nothing wrong with that at all and spend 30-40% less for your reloading set up you can make your saving pay off in one year. A press lasts decades so the savings is there.

I will say this, I never used to shoot thousands of rounds a year either, I simply couldn't afford it, reloading I can not afford it. I was shooting 1/5 of what I do now before a press, now I can shoot when ever how much I want and not worry so much about the ammo budget.

sorry this got long but reloading is worth the effort and investment.....

carry on
Old 06-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Padre, I'm dead set on a Lee turret press. It fits my reloading needs perfectly.
and it will serve you very well. I started on a Lee single stage and it was great. Just my needs made it difficult to use a single stage. I think Lee stuff is very nice. If I had gotten a Lee turret press to start with I might have kept it and not gone blue.....maybe...
Old 06-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

To paraphrase 's comments.... reloading doesn't save you money, it only allows you to shoot more with the money you have.

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:22 PM
COTEP Member

Thanks guys, appreciate all the info and encouragement.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post
To paraphrase 's comments.... reloading doesn't save you money, it only allows you to shoot more with the money you have.

Da
I said that?

yeah, that is what I was getting at