COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > RIA

Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

We live and learn!
Nobody was born knowing everything!
COTEP #373

Our intentions do not always predicate our actions, but we own the consequences nevertheless.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Mike, if you go hard Chrome let me know how it comes out. I'm saving to get my frame Hard-Chromed.
Dave
Old 04-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

as he said...the rollmark isnt deep at all. It will be alot easier to remove than that dang "1991-A1" I took off my build slide haha. That thing was dug half way to China on just one dang number.

I thinking about hard-chroming my barrel at Metaloy just to break up the look of my build. It has a silver, aluminum trigger and a stainless hammer....all the rest will have the black Atranite treatment. My Colt barrel was still good, so I couldnt see springing for a new barrel just to have it stainless lol.

I have to think on it....all black with just a silver hammer and trigger might look sharp too. Man...decisions! lol
COTEP #0443 USMC #0311
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." ~Robert E Lee
“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.” ~Dante Alighieri
Old 04-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

this is kind of like beating a dead horse...but here's the pics AGAIN of my Rock lol.
before:

After:
COTEP #0443 USMC #0311
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." ~Robert E Lee
“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.” ~Dante Alighieri
Old 04-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I changed the thumb safety, mainspring housing, and threw on some old GI grips.

I also smoothed the VERY-SHARP outer edge of the slide stop so it would quit cutting into holsters and gave it the logman mod while I was at it.

I did drop in a Springer grip safety that had a nicer, more rounded-shaped tail on it (thanks Cap!)....but its not in the pic

The parts are just rattle-canned until after I do some other things to it...then she will get reparked.

What's in the works: I have a Colt widespur hammer I am going to install, and I may put some slightly larger Colt sights to improve visibility but maintain a GI appearance. I will also smooth out a few burrs and such before I park it. Otherwise, this one feeds everything Ive tried in it...so internals will be left alone. May change the barrel bushing, but idk yet. Still on the fence about removing the rollmark also...its growing on me lol.
COTEP #0443 USMC #0311

Last edited by SemperFi1977m; 04-15-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1977m View Post
this is kind of like beating a dead horse...but here's the pics AGAIN of my Rock lol.
before:

After:
I really like that classic look Marine.

We have a great life here in [Texas], and we're never going back to America again – Homer Simpson
Texans and Guns The All Mighty JMB
Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
Mike, if you go hard Chrome let me know how it comes out. I'm saving to get my frame Hard-Chromed.
Dave
Will do Dave.

Hopefully Arnel will be done with my slide next week and I have the hi cap LS back together. If so then I think that I am home in a couple of weeks then I will made the decision on what type of finish and then send it out. I hope.

We have a great life here in [Texas], and we're never going back to America again – Homer Simpson
Texans and Guns The All Mighty JMB
Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike45 View Post
I really like that classic look Marine.
Thanks Mike...Im a huge sucker for classic 1911's (but live on a RIA budget lol). Just like my current CCO build...if I cant afford it, I'll just build it myself lol.

You wouldnt believe how hard it is right now to find that dang thumb safety. The one on there is an unused Auto Ordnance part from before their latest quality upgrade....so it took alot of TLC to get it looking nice and to spec. (Colt is using that same style on a ton of their models currently, but have the part backordered for the last 6 months)

alot of TLC...had to work over every single surface of it lol:
COTEP #0443 USMC #0311
Old 04-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

I believe I have a servicable Auto-ord takeoff in the parts bin Gyrene. Post a pic of the one you're talking about.
Dave
Old 04-15-2011, 01:22 PM
COTEP Member

Is this what you want? Untouched by a file.