COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols

Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 PM
COTEP Member

Default Roberts Defense 1911

Anyone have any information on these? They have a big billboard name on the side and otherwise seem to make a decent pistol. I'm interested in the recon 3.5" LW

I spoke with their sales rep and he said all the right things.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

here's one from Truth about guns....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...review-update/

And a little more information: theres a couple of threads off of the one below to read too.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=420926

Seems the company has been in business for about a year or so....was a 1911 gunsmith who is branching out to build his own. Good for him. Price on a 5" rail gun is looking at around 1380, which puts it in the same market as several others.... including well known names like Kimber, Springer, Rock Island, and of course... our blessed and coveted Dan Wesson 1911's. My suggestion: Proceed with caution. Any long term support may not be present if an entrepreneurial company goes under. You could end up with an orphaned firearm. Personally, in that price range, I'd look for a used DW. But that's just me....
Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.

Last edited by DaFadda; 05-14-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post

And a little more information: theres a couple of threads off of the one below to read too.

Seems the company has been in business for about a year or so....was a 1911 gunsmith who is branching out to build his own. Good for him. Price on a 5" rail gun is looking at around 1380, which puts it in the same market as several others.... including well known names like Kimber, Springer, Rock Island, and of course... our blessed and coveted Dan Wesson 1911's. My suggestion: Proceed with caution. Any long term support may not be present if an entrepreneurial company goes under. You could end up with an orphaned firearm. Personally, in that price range, I'd look for a used DW. But that's just me....
Da
+1 on that advice......

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post

Da
Listen and heed the word of the fathah....he speaks the "word of the lord".
Old 05-14-2014, 02:29 PM
COTEP Member

First, for all intents and purposes I'm a 1911 baby, with MUCH more to learn. Moreover, I've yet to buy a gun north of 1K. That said, it's a 1911 not a hybrid car. Even if the company goes under, wouldn't anything that goes wrong be fairly easy to make right?
Old 05-14-2014, 02:38 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2A View Post
First, for all intents and purposes I'm a 1911 baby, with MUCH more to learn. Moreover, I've yet to buy a gun north of 1K. That said, it's a 1911 not a hybrid car. Even if the company goes under, wouldn't anything that goes wrong be fairly easy to make right?
Yes but, why get stuck throwing money into a 1000+ dollar gun if you have no company support. I'm fairly newish to the game also but, wait till they get a little more established. New DWs are in the 1200 - 1900 range. Then you have Colt, SA, STI, I saw a used Brown for 1500 a couple of dayd ago. Just my $0.02

Either way, let us know which route you take.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:56 AM
Mimber Lover

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I recently bought a Roberts Defense Operator. The main reason I bought it was because I wanted a commander sized 1911 with a rail. My small list of requirements.

4 1/4" barrel with bushing
Traditional guide rod with plug
Traditional slide profile
Internal extractor, and of course...a rail

I was going to have one built, but living in California, things are changing starting next year that would make it next to impossible to have it shipped to my local FFL(all you native Californians know what I'm talking about), and there just wasn't enough time.

I'll admit I had never heard or read about Roberts Defense, and a google search turned up very little from actual owners, mostly people who had seen to handled one, but little else. I found this one on gunbroker for just over $1400. I took a gamble and bought it. Kind of a steep price for not knowing anything about this company, but I guess I was feeling a bit risky. Upon picking it up (about a month ago) It felt great. Very solid. No rattles, and damn near impossible to strip down without a wrench. I wasn't, and still am not happy with the sights, but that's an easy enough swap. I took it straight to the range and ran 100 rounds of WWB and 40 rounds of PDX1's through it and it ran flawlessly. I took it out again yesterday, and put another 140 rounds of WWB, again without a hiccup. I'm no 1911 expert, but I am impressed with the fit, finish, and performance. It shoots better than i do, no doubt. It's every bit as nice as(dare I say it?) my Dan Wessons. I'm not a fan of the billboard on the slide. I'd much rather have a more subdued mark like my DW's, but I can live with it....for now. Also, it would be nice if it came with more than one magazine, and a bushing wrench, that thing is tight....So, for anyone considering a Roberts Defense 1911, maybe take a chance. True, a newer 1911 company might not be around for long, but what you get for the price, I can see them hanging around for some time. And if I'm wrong, it's a 1911, most 'smiths can make them run if something goes wrong.Anyways. Here's some pics

In good company

Last edited by spyke-52; 09-20-2015 at 01:54 AM.