COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols

Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM
COTEP Member

Default Sig Sauer

Are these 1911's shunned here? I actually sold my Colt XSE Lightweight Commander model in favor of keeping the Sig 1911 Carry when I needed some funds.

My reasons were as follows:

Side by side, the Colt was out shined by the Sig. Fit, finish, front strap checkering, non-polymer mainspring housing, night sights, all in a cheaper package. (albeit not by much)

The Colt would fetch more money, and held it's value better than the Sig.

The only thing I don't care for in the Sig is the external extractor, but the Sig ran just as good as the Colt as far as reliability, and both had zero issues with any malfunctions.

What are some members thoughts on the Sig Sauer 1911's? Mostly speaking of comparably priced similar models of 1911's.

-S.c.o.t.t.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:55 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

I have two Sig 1911's. Have had ZERO issues with them, same for the 3 other models of Sig I own.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:02 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

WHAAAAAAAAATTTT?!!!

The only thing I don't like about the Sigs is the fat slides, box looking. The external extractor is ok and works fine. But, honestly lately I have been looking hard at the RIA's. Dollar for dollar, they are a great bargain.

Don't worry about guys bashing you for what you own/carry/buy, we are not like other forums. We do joke around a lot, tho.

Last edited by NAMVET72; 06-01-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:22 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbonz View Post
I have two Sig 1911's. Have had ZERO issues with them, same for the 3 other models of Sig I own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
WHAAAAAAAAATTTT?!!!

The onlyvthing I don't like about the Sigs is the fat slides, box looking. The external extractor is ok and works fine. But, honestly lately I have been looking hard at the RIA's. Dollar for dollar, they are a great bargain.

Don't worry about guys bashing you for what you own/carry/buy, we are not like other forums. We do joke around a lot, tho.
LOL! That reminded me of the part in the Monty Python Holy Grail movie where they wanted to burn the "witch"... "Burn Her"

Ya I like to joke around too, and my skin is very thick nowadays in case it's serious...

I do agree with you though, but it doesn't bother me a whole lot, but the slides certainly could have been more traditional, but I guess that's why they have their "Traditional" models of 1911's... (Which still seem less than traditional on the slides...)

-S.c.o.t.t.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I recently (two weeks ago) found out that Sig Sauer gives a significant discount to retired military, as well as AD military and law enforcement.

"SIG SAUER is proud to offer discounts to Law Enforcement and Military members on a wide range of our most popular duty-style pistols and rifles. Those who carry a firearm on duty as a public safety official or military member may qualify for our discount programs, through one of our SIG SAUER Law Enforcement Distributors (SLED).

Qualifying individuals:

•Active or Retired Law Enforcement with official agency credentials
•Court Officers with official agency credentials or official documentation
•State / County / City Coroners with official agency credentials or official documentation
•First Responders with current credentials or official documentation
•Active Duty Military with an active duty identification
•Retired Military with retired military identification
•Active Reservists with Military Identification
•Active National Guard with Military Identification
•NRA Certified Firearms Instructors with current certificate of training"

http://www.sigsauer.com/LawEnforcement/Default.aspx

It would be nice if Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt, or any other American manufacturer would give such a discount. It seems ironic to me that two German companies, Glock and Sig Sauer do.
NRA Member
:stand:
Old 06-01-2014, 04:22 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
WHAAAAAAAAATTTT?!!!

The onlyvthing I don't like about the Sigs is the fat slides, box looking. The external extractor is ok and works fine. But, honestly lately I have been looking hard at the RIA's. Dollar for dollar, they are a great bargain.

I disagree. My Sig's don't look any fatter or boxier than my Springer. If you search for my Sig and Springfield threads and look at the photos you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Since Sig primarily makes other pistols, the management didn't deem the Sig 1911 worthy of its own section, so we get lumped into the Sig section in "Other Semiauto Pistols."

I have two.
My Ultra Carry is the most reliable pistol I've ever owned...well, I guess with the exception of my Encore pistol...

And it's the best looking pistol I ever owned too.

I like the external extractor. It just works. A lot of the bad rap for external extractors was due to the aborted attempt by Kimber at putting external extractors on their 1911s, which were way too short to be effective.

BTW, my DW has an external extractor too. It just works, too.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 06-01-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajO View Post
I recently (two weeks ago) found out that Sig Sauer gives a significant discount to retired military, as well as AD military and law enforcement.

"SIG SAUER is proud to offer discounts to Law Enforcement and Military members on a wide range of our most popular duty-style pistols and rifles. Those who carry a firearm on duty as a public safety official or military member may qualify for our discount programs, through one of our SIG SAUER Law Enforcement Distributors (SLED).

Qualifying individuals:

•Active or Retired Law Enforcement with official agency credentials
•Court Officers with official agency credentials or official documentation
•State / County / City Coroners with official agency credentials or official documentation
•First Responders with current credentials or official documentation
•Active Duty Military with an active duty identification
•Retired Military with retired military identification
•Active Reservists with Military Identification
•Active National Guard with Military Identification
•NRA Certified Firearms Instructors with current certificate of training"

http://www.sigsauer.com/LawEnforcement/Default.aspx

It would be nice if Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt, or any other American manufacturer would give such a discount. It seems ironic to me that two German companies, Glock and Sig Sauer do.

Joe Dan Wesson does give a Discount to Military but not Retired which suxs,

Old 06-01-2014, 06:57 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbonz View Post
I disagree. My Sig's don't look any fatter or boxier than my Springer. If you search for my Sig and Springfield threads and look at the photos you'll see what I'm talking about.
Give us some aerial pics of the sigs next to the springers, I bet they are different. (unless I'm missing something).
Old 06-01-2014, 08:13 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Give us some aerial pics of the sigs next to the springers, I bet they are different. (unless I'm missing something).

There are 2 Sigs, 2 SA's 1 Colt and 1 RIA here. Can you tell the difference?
(sorry for the lousy pics, a photog I ain't)