COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Other Semiauto Pistols

Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Sig P238

I've had a bunch of puny pistols over the years with a KelTec P11 and AMT 380 Backup II lasting the longest. The P11 had a lousy long trigger pull and was no fun to shoot but very very reliable. The factory belt clip was a great feature making concealed carry cheap and easy. My youngest son owns it now.

The old AMT was one of the good ones in that it not only went boom every time the trigger was pulled, the grip and thumb safeties worked very well. But despite the weight, it too was no fun to shoot. I also found I had to alter my grip to be able to thumb off the safety. Didn't make for the fastest to get into action at all. It's gone, traded in on a Mossberg 500

These days I have but one puny pistol which serves as a BUG and in warm weather, when carrying a Dan CCO just isn't practical, a prime. It has familiar controls similar to the classic 1911 in many ways. Very sweet to shoot! Mine has proved reliable although like far too many guns these days this model had an initial recall and some teething issues. A 3rd iteration of both recoil spring and magazine designs seems to have finally solved things for the marketplace. Highly recommended!

Some eschew cocked 'n locked for any pistol carried in a pocket. Personally I see absolutely no problems especially with this pistol which has a VERY positive engagement of the thumb safety and sound internal safety design.

The 380 is no ones favorite round but as many have opined, it beats not having a gun at all. I favor flat nosed solids over JHPs and pack either Buffalo Bore 100gr +P hardcast lead or Winchester Q4206 95gr FMJ-FN.

A leather front pocket holster from RKBA or a "clipless" IWB from Remora handle the duties well. Sarge's Malle grips have displaced an earlier Brazilian Cherry set I picked up elsewhere.

Last edited by bald1; 04-13-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I'm with you. Around the farm the CCO is just too big when working. I carry a P238 in an IWB and at times it seems like I've lost it because it's light and comfortable.

Jim

Last edited by herefordman1; 02-25-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I bought mine for no other reason than i think it's cool...

and was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot.

I bought the HD model cause i figured "if" I'd ever carry it, I'd stoke it with heavy +P ammo and shoot a fair amount of it

I'm playing around with different grips now.
different thickness and stuff too

to date, I've shot appx 400 rnds thru it.
I've had no FTF with any ammo (that includes 100 rnds of various HP ammo)

but three times the trigger failed to reset

Because of that, I won't trust this pistol for carry til i detail strip and have a look at what's going on

..L.T.A.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I bought 1 last fall just for warmer weather (I actually had 1 on order for almost a year). Now that summer is almost here, it will finally get to go places other than the range.
COTEP #0123
CBOB - 09
Guardian - 10
A few other non DW's & a USFA Single action on order.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I bought one for my wife to shoot three months ago and I have to say that it is a neat little shooter. It is in dire need of some new wooden grips though (like that last set of buckeye burls of Cap's).

Between my wife and I we have put 200 rounds thru it so far with the only problem being that about a total of 10 times a round doesn't fire with the first trigger pull. But once you recock and pull the trigger the second time on the same round it goes BANG. Not sure if this is hard primers (PMC ammuniton) or if the mainspring is a little underpowered.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Here is a pic of my wife's sig

She really likes it but can not hit the side of a barn as she shoots right but is left eye dominant. I am buying her a Crimson Trace laser this week as they are running a $50 rebate on all lasers sold between April 2 and June 30th.

We have a great life here in [Texas], and we're never going back to America again – Homer Simpson
Texans and Guns The All Mighty JMB
Old 04-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Mike,

I too am right handed but left eye dominant. I simply hold handguns such that the sights line up with my left eye.... doesn't affect accuracy at all. Now with rifles it's different of course.....

Eschew Tupperware!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald1 View Post
Mike,

I too am right handed but left eye dominant. I simply hold handguns such that the sights line up with my left eye.... doesn't affect accuracy at all. Now with rifles it's different of course.....
Thanks bald1. We are going to try and get to the range this weekend, but we have been saying that for the last couple of weeks.

Mike

We have a great life here in [Texas], and we're never going back to America again – Homer Simpson
Texans and Guns The All Mighty JMB
Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have seiously been contemplating one of these. However, I am just not fond of .380. If, for some reason, the Kimber Solo I have coming in the near future doesn't work out, I may go ahead and get one.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neener Neener View Post
I have seiously been contemplating one of these. However, I am just not fond of .380. If, for some reason, the Kimber Solo I have coming in the near future doesn't work out, I may go ahead and get one.
I've been thoroughly satisfied with mine, and the odds are that you would also. With warm loads that aren't that far behind the 9mm, so it should do the job if I do mine.

There are a few potential caveats, but it's a quality little piece that shoots very easily.

Last edited by Grizzman; 05-12-2011 at 09:54 PM.