COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Other Semiauto Pistols

Old 04-16-2011, 03:20 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Correction on the Crimson Trace rebate.

The current rebate does not include the P238 laser.

I purchase one today anyway as I feel that my wife would shoot more confidently with it. When I am a way from home I want to make sure if she has to use it she can put one on target.

We have a great life here in [Texas], and we're never going back to America again – Homer Simpson
Texans and Guns The All Mighty JMB
Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I wholeheartedly agree with the positive comments. I bought two of these because I was so impressed. Reliable, accurate, fits my hand well, great sights, great trigger, VERY easy to conceal and nowadays the .380 SD ammo is much improved over just a few years ago.

It's probably the ONLY pocket gun I would ever carry cocked and locked. I carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis holster and don't think it's possible to come off safe accidentally.

Retired Navy, Life Member Disabled American Vets, NRA, TSRA, GOA, Admiral Texas Navy, COTEP# 251
Old 04-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

The 238 has also been high up on my wish list
Old 04-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

So as noted I purchased a CT laser for the wife and her Sig as before she could not hit the side of a 67 story building.

Here is the CT on the Sig:

And here are her results, her hits are all the small holes on the right.

I am soooo happy with the results and she is so much more confident. The best $200 I have ever spent.

Mike

PS: Also bought her a knife to match her gun.

We have a great life here in [Texas], and we're never going back to America again – Homer Simpson

Last edited by Mike45; 04-24-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

That is why the old timers dont like them! They make a bad shooter decent! The 1911 setup from CT is perfect. They make it so easy to get on target quick!

I do like the P238 too!

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar
Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default P238 w/ X-Grip magazines

I just got back from putting 150 rounds through my P238 with a pair of the new extended magazines, so here's a little range report.

I fired 75 rounds with each one for a grand total of........150 rounds. 100 of them were Winchester white box FMJs and 50 were my handloads using Sierra 95 grain FMJs driven by 3.9 grains of Unique.

It ran just like I'd hoped it would. The only two issues experienced were caused by my strong side thumb sitting on the slide stop. The slide stop didn't catch the slide at an empty mag, and the slide returned to battery, catching the empty brass before it could clear the slide. I presume the lack of the extra drag of picking up the next round increased the slide speed enough to cause it. I might as well just stop trying to shoot it with 2 hands. It ran great at all other times, with all other hand holds.

It did chew up the mouths of about 8 pieces of brass I was able to retrieve (not including the two that were caught), but the gun kept on running. It makes me a little nervous.....but no huge deal.

An oddity is in the pattern of brass ejection. Basically, there is no patten, and there never has been. Some fly straight forward, some straight up, some straight to 3:00, and some bounce off my head.

I shot two handed strong-side and weak-side, and single handed strong and weak pretty much equally through the ammo supply. The range was between 7 and 10 yards at approx a round a second.

The pistol was very comfortable to shoot with the extended magazine, but it's also comfortable for me with the standard magazine.

I'd say that I'm 100% happy and the extra round of capacity is welcome.

Here's a pic to prove it happened.

Here's a pic of the P238 with X-Mag in my hand to show my pinky purchase.

Darn, put it in the wrong section.....

Last edited by Grizzman; 04-25-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Cool . Where did you get them?

I purchased some from the local gun show and they seam to work good but I would like to have some Sig mag's.

Thanks
Mike

Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I got a three pack directly from Sig.

Last edited by Grizzman; 05-12-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have two SIG OEM 6 rnd'rs .
The slide rarely ever locks back with one mag and only 2/3rds of the time with the other
Doesn't matter what ammo...light or hot, ball or HP.
so maybe it's common???

Mine flings the brass pretty consistently .
To the right and forward between 2 and 3 O'clock .
Distance depends on the ammo's octane rating ...

Is this the first time you've shot yours, ??

..L.T.A.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've probably put between 750 and 1000 rounds through it so far. I've been using two Sig (one 1st gen & 1 2nd gen) and two Colt Mustang (1st gen design) magazines that I believe are made by Metalform. I ground off the front tab of them so they don't protrude past the frame.

Yesterday's session was the first one in which I used Sig's new 3rd Generation X-Mags, the primary reason for the range report.

Following my standard grip positioning with a right hand strong side 2-handed hold, my right thumb sits on the rear half of the slide stop. I can place my right thumb on top of my left thumb, indexing the tip of my thumb on my left thumb's basal joint or up in the air, but this doesn't feel especially natural.

I don't like relying on different hand positions with different handguns, as in a fight situation I'll just subconsciously put it right where it belongs....on the slide stop. With a strong side only grip, my thumb naturally rests between the magazine release and slide stop, and the slide locks back 100% with all my magazines.

Because it's doubtful I'd use it with a 2 handed grip in a fight, this is not a problem. Naturally, I shoot it 75% of the time one handed for the practice.