COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > STI

Old 11-19-2017, 09:17 AM
COTEP Member

Default 2011 Pistols with 3.90” barrels

I am learning towards the STI Gaurdian 2011 in 9mm as a new addition for my CCW, but have so far been unable to find anyone reviewing these pistols. Anyone have any experience with these shorter pistols in 9mm?

It’s a bit of money to put into one which I plan to put into the CCW position without benefit of being able to fire them first. Thanks in advance. For the responses.

Lost While Camping:
Ruger SR1911
Springfield XD45 Service
Springfield XDs-45
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DevilDawg For This Useful Post:
Caleb (11-19-2017), Riverpigusmc (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Might look at the STI subforum on 1911forum. runs STI, I think
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 11-19-2017, 02:11 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I experience with the 2011s but, both STI 1911s I own served me well for ccw. They are 3.5” and 4” versions. No issues at all in functionality.

I believe all the 2011s are double stacked so, the grip will be pretty thick. Might have issues printing, or you might not.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:33 PM
COTEP Member

Thanks RiverPig and will check into it.

Thanks CALEB, and I will take one of my holsters with me to a LGS that sells them and see how they fit. It shouldn’t be any worse than my XD-45.

Lost While Camping:
Ruger SR1911
Springfield XD45 Service
Springfield XDs-45
Old 11-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

First STI is flawless guns so if you want one you better get one in 1911 anyway before they are gone. Second I have an officers but nothing as short as your looking but I have never heard of anyone complaining among the sti guys. You should be fine.

2011 versions are double stack and will run great but probably not a best option for carry but that is just my opinion. They are more designed for play and comp and not geared toward carry doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t. I would not hesitate to buy a sti if you want one.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:26 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
First STI is flawless guns so if you want one you better get one in 1911 anyway before they are gone. Second I have an officers but nothing as short as your looking but I have never heard of anyone complaining among the sti guys. You should be fine.

2011 versions are double stack and will run great but probably not a best option for carry but that is just my opinion. They are more designed for play and comp and not geared toward carry doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t. I would not hesitate to buy a sti if you want one.
Thanks sdmc530 and we got my son one of their 1911 Trojans for his college graduation. It’s a sweet shooter which has started my “Want” for one of these. However I know from holding the DVC line that the double stack is barely thicker by feel, and some YouTube videos confirm my grip-o-meter.

My concern now is that the safety isn’t as positive as it is on the 1911 models. Not sure if this is inherent in the 2011 models or if just with the one I held, however I am getting similar concerns voiced on another board. Of course those guys are saying get the Wilson EDC X9 for another grand. I can get a LOT of safety tuned for far less that that and ammo.

Lost While Camping:
Ruger SR1911
Springfield XD45 Service
Springfield XDs-45
Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Wilson’s are super nice but just so much when I can get two nice for that money. I have heard rumors of the safety issue but the 2011 is made for competitors so most want it touchy anyways. I think sti going to all double stacks is probably a good move for them and I really want one!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:14 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

The safety on my Guardian is easily switched off and on (main reason I don’t edc it anymore) but, the one on the 3.5” “officer” is very positive and tactile. I guess it all depends on that particular pistol you end up with. Like you said tho, you can have it tuned for way less than a grand.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:33 PM
COTEP Member

Reviving your own necro thread... Nice

Long time and glad to say it was worth the wait. I should get my Staccato C2 right at 3yrs after starting this thread. I ordered it through the Staccato page to take advantage of the Veteran discount, down side is a 90 day wait.

This will give me time to find a decent holster, I want to stick with kydex, and there only seems to be a couple options for these so far. QVO and LAS. If anyone has any other options I’d be happy to look into them.

Additionally having to wait until after the election means I won’t be tempted to buy any of the ammo (if I could actually find any) at the current insane prices. Shame on me for changing calibers in the middle of a Trade War/Petro Crash/COVID/Election cycle

Lost While Camping:
Ruger SR1911
Springfield XD45 Service
Springfield XDs-45
Old 10-01-2020, 10:10 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Congrats and sorry you have to wait for so long. That would kill me!

Yeah, changing calibers...

I anticipated maybe carrying a 9mm at some point, and after what happened during the Obama shortages I started stocking up on it once it became available. Actually, now that I recall...I actually started stocking up on it during the Obama shortages because I was trading 223 brass for 9mm ammo.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell