COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > STI

Old 10-02-2020, 12:16 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I actually started looking for a short 1911 in 9mm for the boss to carry (she's no a fan of my 938... My BIL came across a Kimber CDP ultra at a competition a while back, a friend of his was having to pair down a little. So he shot a practice round with it and was surprised at how well it ran. When they broke it down for cleaning he was shocked to find there was no Schwartz in it. He thought it was an older model but his friend said he had purchased new from his LGS a year ago. Well he liked enough to take it home, where my sister got a hold of it. Long story short, he doesn't get to see the little CDP no more. This peaked my interest so I contacted Kimber and spoke with the custom shop, and by golly they are making the series 70 straight CDP in 9mm again, in all 3 sizes. Bad news is... only through the custom shop. I asked how and where to get one, he said get on the list at the custom shop, and wait... the wait 9 - 12 months. That was last year, with that and $1200 bucks, I didn't get on the list... I'm beginning to think that might have been a mistake.

COTEP 439
Old 10-02-2020, 08:44 AM
COTEP Member

Default 9mm

Until recently, I didn't carry 9mm, but started about 4 months ago. Since I made up my mind to get a carry 9mm almost 6 months ago, I've been collecting brass at the range and compulsively reloading range 9mm. I have about 1500 rounds now.

I only carry commercial self defense loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Congrats and sorry you have to wait for so long. That would kill me!

Yeah, changing calibers...

I anticipated maybe carrying a 9mm at some point, and after what happened during the Obama shortages I started stocking up on it once it became available. Actually, now that I recall...I actually started stocking up on it during the Obama shortages because I was trading 223 brass for 9mm ammo.
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 10-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
Until recently, I didn't carry 9mm, but started about 4 months ago. Since I made up my mind to get a carry 9mm almost 6 months ago, I've been collecting brass at the range and compulsively reloading range 9mm. I have about 1500 rounds now.

I only carry commercial self defense loads.

With 9 mil, I would carry commercial too (and I already have PLENTY of them). The reloads are to practice with (and for the zombie apocalypse, LOL) Over half my reloads are using plated bullets. They aren't as reliable for some reason as jacketed, and even though they are hollow point, they don't really expand much. But for practice that doesn't really matter (and I get to practice clearing jams)

I've been meaning to trade my CZ-75 (which I would not carry) for a CZ-P07 (which I might), but kept putting it off, I wonder if I can even find one now...

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 10-02-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:29 AM
COTEP Member

For a while there, the plated ones (Berrys) were easier to get, and maybe still are - I've got enough to last a while and haven't looked.

Zombie apocalypes, heh heh. Or riots in the neighborhood. At my age, I doubt I'd get off more than 50 rounds in any sort of fight before I was gone.

But somehow it makes me feel more comfortable having a large collection.

And I just flat out like the entire process of reloading them. Especially, for some reason, the slower, more focused .308 ammo, which I do single station vs on the turret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
The reloads are to practice with (and for the zombie apocalypse, LOL) Over half my reloads are using plated bullets. They aren't as reliable for some reason as jacketed, and even though they are hollow point, they don't really expand much. But for practice that doesn't really matter (and I get to practice clearing jams)
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 10-02-2020, 04:26 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

I have a 3.9 inch STI VIP 2011 in 45 ACP. It like my other STI's (5) run flawlessly. I'm not sure what is going on with STI they get a new CEO about every six months and can't seem to figure out what they are going to do as far as marketing and which direction the company is going to go. Also they are no longer STI they are Staccato.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414

Last edited by Sheepdog; 10-02-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:55 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
I have a 3.9 inch STI VIP 2011 in 45 ACP. It like my other STI's (5) run flawlessly. I'm not sure what is going on with STI they get a new CEO about every six months and can't seem to figure out what they are going to do as far as marketing and which direction the company is going to go. Also they are no longer STI they are Staccato.
Agreed! they are all over the map these days. The new STI the "Staccato" are nice as always but don't understand the direction they are taking.

I have been a LONG time STI fan. I have the Ranger officers size, the Trojan full size and the baby 1911 Spartan. All are great shooters. I can't even imagine how many rounds I have through my Trojan. Probably my favorite 1911 to shoot.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:37 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I love my two STI 1911s. I hate the finish tho but, it’s a small price to pay for such an incredible piece of hardware. Not hating the 2011 line even though it’s not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2020, 05:09 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
I love my two STI 1911s. I hate the finish tho but, it’s a small price to pay for such an incredible piece of hardware. Not hating the 2011 line even though it’s not my cup of tea.

the finish was always there one down fall, such a shame. My Trojan has some slight holster wear but when its bad enough I will get it re-done. I had a little issue with it right out of the box and they were more than happy to take it back and re-finish it but I though why would I let them refinish it the same way I got it to begin with and just figured someday I would have it blued when it was too far gone and bothered me enough.

so far its been fine actually but yeah, their "bluing" wasn't the best. They just need more finish care than a typical 1911 IMO....
Old 10-04-2020, 05:18 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
the finish was always there one down fall, such a shame. My Trojan has some slight holster wear but when its bad enough I will get it re-done. I had a little issue with it right out of the box and they were more than happy to take it back and re-finish it but I though why would I let them refinish it the same way I got it to begin with and just figured someday I would have it blued when it was too far gone and bothered me enough.

so far its been fine actually but yeah, their "bluing" wasn't the best. They just need more finish care than a typical 1911 IMO....

I know a guy for bluing.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:47 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Rangers are cool they are actually smaller(thinner) than the Officers. They are built on the Combatmaster frame. Hang on to it, there are not many out there. Lots of Ranger ll.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414

Last edited by Sheepdog; 10-08-2020 at 05:50 PM.