COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 08-24-2014, 01:03 PM
COTEP Member

Default RV trip around the country

We are in the initial stages of planning an RV trip next summer for about a month. We live in Florida, I have my Florida Concealed Weapons License. We are thinking of going as far west as the Grand Canyon, or north to Canada through Maine, or to the Great Lakes area. So I am not going to travel that far in an RV without carrying. I plan on a long arm and a pistol at the minimum. I know NJ is off limits for these so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions OTHER than concealed is concealed. I am not ruling that out but wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience.

For long arms my choices are AR, AK-74, SKS, and a Winchester Lever Action 38-40. Yes the Winchester would fit right in if we go West but 10 rounds and gate loading is not my ideal thoughts. AR with 5 loaded 30 round magazines would me my first choice.

Pistols are S&W M&P .40, .45 Auto, PA-63 9mm Mak., Taurus TCP .380, .38 Rossi. They are in order of preference. Any problems with any of these in particular? Hollow point ammo problems?

I can look up which states have reciprocity for my Florida CWL so I am pretty much asking is there anything that would rule some states off immediately. No plans on NYC, slight interest in Chicago. A possibility of a trip to Massachusetts to visit the grave site of one of my ancestors who fought in the American Revolution.

I would probably stash the long arm in the RV somewhere near where I am going to sleep and ideally wouldn't touch it again till we are unloading back home. It would just be for emergencies.

I would also have access to a Mossberg 500 for the trip but have never fired it and I like things I am familiar with. However I suspect the learning curve with a pump shotgun is pretty slight. Safety off, rack it, pull the trigger, repeat till threat is hamburger.

So there you have it! We are going to be hitting a lot of National Parks and using it as a field trip for my home schooled daughter so lots of fun, education and history to be had.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Good luck on your trip. In the east, stay out of land, (obviously DC) New Jersey, New York and Massachusetts. Here in PA, the NRA has won its case and you can carry legally in adelphia; but should the police discover that you have a concealed firearm, expect to be hassled at the very least. Chief Ramsey seems to be a gun grabbing whore. He was previously in DC and seems to show up in the media whenever there is a firearm related incident.

I took a CCW class up here and, in addition to my PA CCW, have Florida, Virginia and Utah nonresident permits. Although, through reciprocity, I am supposed to be able to legally carry in 33 states, and I live outside adelphia, I avoid adelphia.
NRA Member
:stand:
Old 08-24-2014, 01:46 PM
COTEP Member

Entering Canada with a firearm is Verbotten. Customs WILL ask.
COTEP #744
Old 08-24-2014, 01:58 PM
COTEP Member

I've traveled most of that route, except Canada. I believe if you go West that you're good in all those areas. If you do the North route, I'm not sure how you get to Mass. without going through New York or Jersey which I think are off limits.

MajO, I used to live outside ly. I live in Abington for a while and lived in Media before I left for Florida.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

If you make it to Cali...call me, I'll show San Francisco. ....

I don’t think California recognizes any other states ccw. I believe there is a free travel guide regarding ccw.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Just remember some states don't like Guns, and before you travel to find out if any states changed their CCW laws..........

Here is the latest and greatest, Good Luck these laws change once a year most of the time:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

Old 08-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDC View Post
Entering Canada with a firearm is Verbotten. Customs WILL ask.
this^^^ is gospel. they will not allow a handgun in, long arms are even sketchy!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:21 PM
COTEP Member

Since the RV will be your Domicile as well, some States will allow carry in vehicle as long as it is not readily avail to driver. When driving and when parked the rules can change. While parked they need a Search Warrant. Its your home at that moment. While driving, CCW laws apply. However, there is a Federal Firearms transportation law that permits the transport of firearms across state lines. In some States you are always just passing through! Hint hint.

Here is the link:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/artic...portation.aspx

FYI. Wife and I did a little of this type of RVing. Carried everywhere we went and had zero problems. NO Canada on guns. Just like Mexico. Leave them with friends or ship them to me I will be happy to store them for you in one of my safes and ship them back to you upon re-entry to the USA.

Have fun brother!

AdamG247 (Oath Keeper-Not on our watch)
""I, do solemnly swear that I will support and
defend the Constitution of the United States
against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same,
so help me God!"
Old 08-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

If you do happen to come to Mass., look me up!
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer