COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 06-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Interesting and (thankfully) brief dilemma

My CBOB is my primary carry gun. It gets carried a lot and shot relatively little. I try to clean and lube it every month. Today I pulled it and broke it down and cleaned. I've been trying grease on the slide and frame and did so after cleaning. Got ready to put the slide on the frame and it would not travel more than 1.5 inches along the rails. I took it off and put it on several times. Initially I thought the grease was not doing it's job, but that nuts.

Finally, I closely inspected the slide rail channels and found a TINY piece of paper towel trapped within the left rear of the slide channel.

Got it back together fine after finding the debris.

Tight tolerances on these DW's!

RMD
Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

They can be very tight. You got shoot her more!!!! LOL!!!

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Yea they are very tight and just like you found out a small amount of debris can cause problems.
I have always used Q-Tips to help in cleaning my pistols (some people think this is a big no no) especially in the really tight places or even the rail channels. I still do sometimes but then after the Q-Tips I use a cleaning cloth and try and get any little fuzzy left over and before I lube and reassemble the pistol I do a thorough inspection to make sure there is no fuzz or other debris anywhere. This does take me awhile but I am pretty anal about certain things. I want to make sure I never have a foul up during fire due to something I did. I have never had any problems with my DW's or any other pistol for that matter using the method I use.

Everyone seams to clean there weapons differently. I have found that there is no right / perfect way to clean a weapon. But there are some big "NO-NOs" that most come to learn.

Anyways I am glad you got it worked out. How do you like the grease instead of oil? I use to use a little grease only on specific parts and thicker oils for the rest but now I use Wilson Combat Ultama Lube II (Universal) and it is pretty great. I use it for everything, it's a lot thicker than a regular oil and doesn't dry up or run all over the place it pretty much stays where you put it. But it's not as thick as grease so in my mind and what I have come to find out it's the best of both worlds.

Anyways that was my little rant for the morning. Again glad you got here running good again,

-Ryan S
2010 DW SS RZ-45 Heritage, 2011 DW SS Valor Bobtail (V-BOB), 2010 DW CCO, 2012 DW ECO, Sig Sauer P238 SAS edition, Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion (5in barrel), Kahr P380, ,Kahr PM9->Black Diamond coat-Night sights, Daniel Defense DDM4 V4, LMT308MWS, and a FN SCAR 17 "Heavy".
COTEP # CCO0488
God Bless Our Troops
Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Not being a SA

I may be doing something wrong here, so I may have to be corrected. I clean with the breakfree and whipe her down real good. Then put a couple of drops of the oil that came with my DW on the slide. Of course i wad the barrel with the breakfree till its sparkling and hand work the all the various parts etc.

I've never had any trouble at all, even with my kimmy.

Please let me know your thoughts Ryan.

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar

Last edited by Thedragonslayer; 07-05-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Personally, I believe hand working all the parts with a good light oil is 90% of the game. A vapor deposition (vapor phase) oil is even better. If you always do that, a few drops of a good gun oil on the friction areas will keep it running. JMO.. I've used grease for the rails on carry pistols, but I don't like it.. I just use a little less oil now.. Ron