COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 10-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Thinking about taking the plunge (need advice)

Ok guy's, I need advice from the more experienced people on here! I'm thinking about doing a home build 1911,officer size.I want to do a two tone,nothing too fancy-beaver tail G.S,skeleton hammer,fancy looking trigger,and maybe a rounded butt & mainspring housing. I'm thinking I'll go with a kit that already has the slide,barrel,and frame fitted since it's my first build! So any advice that you guy's can give,as far as manufacturers,kit's and any other info you are willing to give would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all for the wealth of info that you share with the rest of us!
Old 10-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Sparks, a full-size Wilson Combat frame and fitted slide is currently running $427.00. According to the website that's the only setup available right now. A fitted barrel(Strongly suggest a non-ramped barrel) would add another $300.00 or so to that.

Caspian offers an Officers' Model Carbon steel frame for $197.00(Basic, no extras) and a Carbon commander slide for another $220.00. They don't offer a barrel. A Kart E-Z fit barrel and installation set(Strongly recommended) would run you about $225.00 at Brownells

Remsport offers Frames/slides for about $425.00 or so but, you have to do a lot of machining with them. They're a Gunsmithing supplier.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Old 10-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanks dave for the response! How about Fusion? I've been looking at some of their kits, like the scout. what your opinion on these?
Old 10-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Founding Member
Admimberistrator

Remsport also does fitted frames and slides and they will fit a barrel too. They had Officer combos last time I asked them. I believe it is a big secret but i'm 99.9% sure they made the frames for Dan Wesson for a long time, not sure if they still do now or not.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thank you very much Alex, I'll check them out! I'd still like to hear some opinions on the fusion kit's if anybody as any experience with them!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Dale, you will have a great time on your first build!! I strongly suggest that you have the barrel fitted as it is not something to mess with on your first one. They can be finicky to fit properly.

You need to post pictures of your build!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanks John! I Def. plan to have the barrel fitted! I don't think I"m quite ready for that yet!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I am really interested in your build because I have thought to do the same. I may try I CCO one of this days.

Rick
Old 10-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Well....If I actualy decide on a kit, and get to do this, I will def.post pics!
Thanks everyone for your response's! And please keep posting opinions & experience's. I feel that I need to take my time and learn as much as I can from you all before I dive in