COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Mimber

Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
COTEP Member

I own Kimbers, I own Wessons. Like both manufacturers; Wessons trump Kimbers, and wouldn't sell any of them.

E.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Here's my take:
Purists do not like MIM parts. Ever.

there are dozens up dozens of anecdotal experiences of MIM parts failing. But I haven't seen any.

Most, if not all the major manufacturers have gone to MIM parts for non stress / low stress parts. Some have even gone to MIM for some higher stress parts.

It's metal injection molded. It's been around a long time. It works. Until it doesn't. If there is a bad batch made, its going to affect the guns that use that batch of parts. Doesn't happen with bar stock. Strength? Got to say that from what I've read, mim is as strong as machined parts. But I WILL catch flak for this opinion.

Kimber? I'd go SIG 1911 before I went Kimber. But that's just me. KImber DOES sell a whole bunch of guns... so someone likes them. I do like my DW CCO a whole lot tho. And the Sigs are beautifulugly in their own way. You love em or you hate em... Personally... I love them.

Just my 2 cents.
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've come to the conclusion that discussing calibers and manufacturers is akin to the old Ford vs GM vs Mopar or Harley vs others. People are just going to stick to their favorites.
I'm a big Kimber fan. I own two, but also a fan of Glock.
To that end, my first duty was a Sig (229) and loved it. On the contrary I hear Sig quality control has tanked these past few years. While I do know if this is true or not I do not like their latest model of pistols they have been putting out. Although, I have no experience with their 1911 line.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I've come to the conclusion that discussing calibers and manufacturers is akin to the old Ford vs GM vs Mopar or Harley vs others. People are just going to stick to their favorites.
I agree.

And I think someone else said it in this thread. Buy what you're comfortable with and don't let anyone tell you different.

Lacking real, verifiable evidence for one against another, it comes down to personal preference.

But don't come crying when your MIM part breaks!

Sorry, just a joke. Couldn't resist

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've only owned one Kimber, but it was a really nice pistol.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default I've had several

I've owned a number of Kimbers; a Custom II was my first, then a Stainless Target II 10mm, then a Tactical something and that was the last one. The Custom II was actually my first 1911.

I honestly never had a single issue with any of them. They were flawless out of the box, never failed a single time and were more accurate than I was at the time. The LGS here is big on Kimber although they are starting to branch out. Few or no Colts, more STIs now, some Ruger and Remington, virtually no Dan Wessons, which I just don't understands, the Springfields. Many of the 1911s they sell are easily as expensive as the Dan Wessons.

As for MIM, I just don't know. Cheaper, yes, less durable, don't know. That has been an argument going on for a very, very long time. I'm sure there are some cast and barstock parts that are lower quality than the MIM parts in many guns.

If you like them and they work for you, then go for it. I have only Dan Wesson right now, some pre-CZ Patriots, a CBOB and an early Valor. I also have two early SIG GSRs for which I have an unreasonable fondness. I really have not desire, for some reason, to own a Kimber. I look, but they just don't evoke any excitement. Springfiels somewhat more excitement.
COTEP CBOB #289

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it".
Old 10-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

A thread about the name that shall not be mentioned! WOW! All joking aside my problem with Mimbers is they make 40,000 guns a year and quality control sometimes suffers. That is why you get people that love them and hate them. My other problem is they use mim for their sears. While mim may be good for some parts the sear is not one of them. IMHO

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 10-05-2014, 01:40 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

My only complaint about them was take down and reassembly. Launched too many dang springs into the atmosphere. Hated having to use the paperclip to keep things from going "sproing". But other than that it ran flawlessly and was extraordinarily accurate.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Well, if the Marine Corps Special Ops guys are willing to carry it during missions...

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
they make 40,000 guns a year and quality control sometimes suffers. That is why you get people that love them and hate them.
Exactly.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, Kimbers are like a box of chocolates...

A historical reason to bash Kimbers is how they totally screwed up on their external extractors and couldn't figure out that the problem was simply that they made them too short. So instead of correcting the problem, they ditched them. That legacy still lives on in their 22 Conversion slides...

S&W and Sig both screwed up on their first go at external extractors too, but they corrected them.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell