COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Honor, Duty, Country

Old 11-30-2014, 10:32 AM
COTEP Member

Thanks for posting / sharing this with us, I always find history like this very interesting !
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:49 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipersnest View Post
The ribbon you showed with the three campaign stars appears to be the European Theater of Operations and the one on the right appears to be the WWII Victory Medal. Can't distinguish what the far left ribbon is.
Yes, those are correct. The coloring was a bit off because of whatever is on the ribbons but those two are correct. The other I can't make out colors to try to match up.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:43 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Yes, those are correct. The coloring was a bit off because of whatever is on the ribbons but those two are correct. The other I can't make out colors to try to match up.
Update:

I just got off the phone with him and he confirmed the two above, he thought the third was good conduct medal but I checked the ribbon and it is not that. He also said he received combat infantry medal but that is a badge with no ribbon, so the third on the left is still a mystery. My mother is checking the list she compiled last year.

The one below is in the first picture and is the Netherlands War Cross. It was presented to him when his unit the 104th Timberwolves went back to France and the Netherlands to retrace their troop movements.

Last edited by Gatorade; 11-30-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:42 PM
COTEP Member

Very cool history - glad you posted this up!
Old 11-30-2014, 04:38 PM
COTEP Member

Keep us posted on what all your Mother comes up with on this.
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Gatorade, as an aside, if he was awarded the Combat Infantryman's Badge (CIB) he automatically is awarded the Bronze Star Medal. Anyone who served in the ETO and was awarded the CIB can apply for the medal if they haven't had it awarded yet. I found that out when researching my Dad's service. I would look into it, and have him apply if he's still alive, but the family can apply if he's passed on.
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer
Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 PM
COTEP Member

I think the 3” card is a compass correction card. Most aircraft have a primary compass system and a backup compass system. The backup system was very inaccurate and the easiest way to correct for the error was to fly a slight correction, or deflection, for the actual heading the pilot wanted to fly.

North can be shown either as 0 degrees or 360 degrees since there are 360 degrees in a circle. 180 degrees represents South. The error for this compass flying due north or due South is zero. That means to fly a course due North or South, the pilot didn’t apply any correction.

This compass had primarily an error when flying East or West. If the primary compass system failed and the pilot had to fly off of the back-up system, this card indicated the indicated course to fly to get the desired result.

To fly north, the pilot would fly an indicated 360 heading. The fly southeast on a direction of 120 degrees, there is a correction of 4 degrees. Usually -4 means the pilot would indicate 116 degrees on the compass. To fly a southwest course of 240 degrees, the pilot would fly a corrected heading of 244 degrees.

To determine the corrections, the technicians would paint a compass rose on the ramp and taxi the aircraft out to the rose. They would point the aircraft to each heading, and then let the 'whiskey compass' settle down and read the indicated heading. They would write down the corrections for each heading and then mount this card on the instrument panel next to the compass. The card could easily be replaced in case the stand-by compass needed to be replaced. After replacement, they would have to ‘swing’ the new compass around the compass rose and install a replacement card. That's why your grandfather could easily swipe this one from the cockpit.

Today they ‘swing’ the compasses with electronic test kits.

The name and serial number of the individual that swung the compass and published the new card was entered at the top of the card. Usually the technician and his supervisor both entered their names and serial numbers to prove that the work was double checked. Since I don’t read or speak German, so I can’t translate the data at the top of the card.

You should be able to Google the German words by typing “Translate Ablenkungstafel” into the search box. The answer is “deflection panel.” We call this card a correction card and apparently the Germans called it a deflection panel.

I hope this helps.

Owl

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.”
- Winston Churchill
Old 12-01-2014, 11:31 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
I think the 3” card is a compass correction card. Most aircraft have a primary compass system and a backup compass system. The backup system was very inaccurate and the easiest way to correct for the error was to fly a slight correction, or deflection, for the actual heading the pilot wanted to fly.

North can be shown either as 0 degrees or 360 degrees since there are 360 degrees in a circle. 180 degrees represents South. The error for this compass flying due north or due South is zero. That means to fly a course due North or South, the pilot didn’t apply any correction.

This compass had primarily an error when flying East or West. If the primary compass system failed and the pilot had to fly off of the back-up system, this card indicated the indicated course to fly to get the desired result.

To fly north, the pilot would fly an indicated 360 heading. The fly southeast on a direction of 120 degrees, there is a correction of 4 degrees. Usually -4 means the pilot would indicate 116 degrees on the compass. To fly a southwest course of 240 degrees, the pilot would fly a corrected heading of 244 degrees.

To determine the corrections, the technicians would paint a compass rose on the ramp and taxi the aircraft out to the rose. They would point the aircraft to each heading, and then let the 'whiskey compass' settle down and read the indicated heading. They would write down the corrections for each heading and then mount this card on the instrument panel next to the compass. The card could easily be replaced in case the stand-by compass needed to be replaced. After replacement, they would have to ‘swing’ the new compass around the compass rose and install a replacement card. That's why your grandfather could easily swipe this one from the cockpit.

Today they ‘swing’ the compasses with electronic test kits.

The name and serial number of the individual that swung the compass and published the new card was entered at the top of the card. Usually the technician and his supervisor both entered their names and serial numbers to prove that the work was double checked. Since I don’t read or speak German, so I can’t translate the data at the top of the card.

You should be able to Google the German words by typing “Translate Ablenkungstafel” into the search box. The answer is “deflection panel.” We call this card a correction card and apparently the Germans called it a deflection panel.

I hope this helps.

Owl
Outstanding information! I now know what this is and why it was important. All I ever knew was where he got it and it was a compas card. I am guessing it was not exclusive to the Messerschmidt 262 but all aircraft that had that type of a back up compas. Still his eyes light up when he thinks back to being in that cockpit. I will relay the information to him so he knows exactly what it is as well.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Outstanding information! I now know what this is and why it was important. All I ever knew was where he got it and it was a compas card. I am guessing it was not exclusive to the Messerschmidt 262 but all aircraft that had that type of a back up compas. Still his eyes light up when he thinks back to being in that cockpit. I will relay the information to him so he knows exactly what it is as well.
All aircraft, then and now, must have a magnetic compass and a correction (or deviation) card. So, no it's not exclusive to the ME-262. But, that card was exclusive to that particular aircraft.