COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 03-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

In my original post, I said I go through this LNL vs. Big Blue once a year or so... This, from 2016

http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthrea...ighlight=squib

The thread includes a very good commentary by and others. I'm still not convinced that an extra $1000 is worth either the LNL or the Dillons. , next time I come through SD, I'll buy dinner, and you can show me your reloading setup. That may change my mind!

But I promise, you'll enjoy the read.

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post
In my original post, I said I go through this LNL vs. Big Blue once a year or so... This, from 2016

http://www.cotep.org/forum/showthrea...ighlight=squib

The thread includes a very good commentary by and others. I'm still not convinced that an extra $1000 is worth either the LNL or the Dillons. , next time I come through SD, I'll buy dinner, and you can show me your reloading setup. That may change my mind!

But I promise, you'll enjoy the read.

Da
Deal buddy!!

Actually all this reloading talk has me missing making boolits so I may run some 45 tomorrow and gopro the process.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:01 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
Deal buddy!!

Actually all this reloading talk has me missing making boolits so I may run some 45 tomorrow and gopro the process.
Yes please do so, upload and post link, Pleeeease?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Yes please do so, upload and post link, Pleeeease?
Will see how my week goes:

I have to get a new chain ring on my bicycle, hit the gym, and I am classroom helper this week for Kaden's Kindergarten class. Lisa is at Mayo Clinic with her brother so I will see what I can do.

Last edited by NAMVET72; 03-12-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Yes we know you have Big Bucks,

Unless you have lots of brass and money just get a single stage to start with, get two or three reloading manuals, read and read again. Then take it slow, do one at a time, measure every single load.....Good luck
Old 03-12-2017, 11:33 PM
COTEP Member

I am still getting unpacked from vacation but one point I will make is that i have too much OCD to deprime and then load. I have seen some nasty junk in primer pockets and just jamming another primer in there before the pocket gets cleaned doesn't seem like a good practice. So I run the brass through the cleaner, deprive and resize. Then run it through the polish media. Then I can either bag it and pick up later or hand prime and flare. Charging and seating are pretty easy steps after that.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:47 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
As I have said, everyone has their preference and is passionate about what they use. And RickMc is surely correct in that you will like the 550. I would too. But I'll still stand by my contention that someone who has never reloaded before is better served by using a single stage or turret press to learn on, especially if they are learning the process on their own. In his last line, Rick mentions that he uses his Rockchucker for swaging. I'm not a betting man, but if I were... the Rockchucker was probably his first press.

Time doesn't mean much to me any longer. Being retired is good.

Da
Actually, my first few "presses" were the Lee $9.99 kits, where you supplied your own wood block and hammer. I had a few back in the early '70's.

That Rockchucker was quite a step up!

That said, I used it for only a few months before I bought the Dillon.

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Thank you guys, and thank you Padre for trying to steer me into a cost-saving direction . But I know that I'll want efficiency over control of the process. Understanding reloading is not as complicated nowadays. You can watch a couple of YouTube videos and have a pretty good idea of everything involved and the steps. I want to be able to spend an hour reloading and have all my reloads done for the month. So a progressive reloading system is what I need. Hence I'll be saving my money and waiting for when the time is right for a Dillon Progressive. Is Dillon the only brand that makes Progressive reloading presses?
No, Hornady, Lee, and RCBS also make progressive presses. Attached is a very well written article that outlines the pros and cons of Hornady, Lee and Dillon. Might help in your final selection.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:57 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
No, Hornady, Lee, and RCBS also make progressive presses. Attached is a very well written article that outlines the pros and cons of Hornady, Lee and Dillon. Might help in your final selection.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf
Padre, I'm dead set on a Lee turret press. It fits my reloading needs perfectly.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

My only 1 cent is that unless you shoot A LOT! (5-10,000?) rounds a month, it doesn't make sense (to me). You are relying on your attention for detail.

I tried it, froze, and never finished one round, sold the whole lot.

I have an Ammo Can full of commercial ammo. I'm fine.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria