COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 04-20-2014, 11:24 AM
COTEP Member

I've read that the idea behind the snakeskin pattern on the EB Kobra pistols is that the texture is one-way. Your hand slides smoothly up the texture as you're getting your grip, but sticks once you have your grip. It might be bunk. I've never tried it and can't comment directly but it sounds like a great idea.

Anyway, I prefer a textured frontstrap and haven't noticed it hindering my draw. Of the patterns I've tried I like 30 LPI the best. I'd like to try that EB treatment to see how it feels, though.

CBOB0715
Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

When I do any shooting with 1911's, all pressure is fore and aft, not side to side. Push forward with the strong hand, pull back with the supporting hand, with my right index finger wrapped around the front of the triggerguard. I like checkering
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in GA View Post
I've read that the idea behind the snakeskin pattern on the EB Kobra pistols is that the texture is one-way. Your hand slides smoothly up the texture as you're getting your grip, but sticks once you have your grip. It might be bunk. I've never tried it and can't comment directly but it sounds like a great idea.

Anyway, I prefer a textured frontstrap and haven't noticed it hindering my draw. Of the patterns I've tried I like 30 LPI the best. I'd like to try that EB treatment to see how it feels, though.
I'm going to a dealer on Friday who is a friend of the Ed Brown family, I'm gonna ask him to call them and get us a clear answer. Never heard of this, am wondering if it is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
When I do any shooting with 1911's, all pressure is fore and aft, not side to side. Push forward with the strong hand, pull back with the supporting hand, with my right index finger wrapped around the front of the triggerguard. I like checkering
The old "push/pull" eh??? No wonder you work on a college campus! Nah, this is about the drawstroke grip w speed. Getting to the push/pull fast with your own grips in the right place.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
I see complaints from all over, and discussions about how course to make the front strap.
I'm guessing 25 LPI and finer is going to be much more comfortable than course checkering or other aggressive patters. It does a good job of keeping the front strap from sliding in your hand, but doesn't dig into your skin the way courser checkering might.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
I'm going to a dealer on Friday who is a friend of the Ed Brown family, I'm gonna ask him to call them and get us a clear answer. Never heard of this, am wondering if it is accurate.
I was trying to remember where I read about that, and then it hit me. From the Ed Brown website:

"It is a directional pattern, meaning it is smooth to slide your hand up, but bites in for a snug grip the other way where you need it."

http://www.edbrown.com/kobra.htm

I guess I believe it now. And I kinda want one.

CBOB0715
Old 04-23-2014, 11:01 AM
COTEP Member

You should try to get your hands on a ball milled front strap or the the wave treatment that Dane Burns originated. It allows the smooth flow of your fingers over the the front strap but when you apply pressure the channels grip your skin and give you firm hold. I for one love the feel of it, kind of the best of both worlds if you ask me.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911KY View Post
You should try to get your hands on a ball milled front strap or the the wave treatment that Dane Burns originated. It allows the smooth flow of your fingers over the the front strap but when you apply pressure the channels grip your skin and give you firm hold. I for one love the feel of it, kind of the best of both worlds if you ask me.
I like that......there are many patterns that can be applied......they look great and function. For me speed on the draw is key, and a grip that is hindered cause it is struggling to get across an excessively rough texture costs time, and time could be taking the first round instead of delivering it.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
COTEP Member

I went back and for with this too Joe, but never could decide which was better. I ended up with the houge grips on mine because the single stack was a bit thin for me and I would draw consistently. I liked the hogue grips because of the finger grooves and because I knew my hand was right where it was supposed to be.

Just like I prefer the Gen 4 Glocks because of the finger grooves. No question when I remove it from the holster whether fast draw or slow.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" Thomas Jefferson