COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 04-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Springs for Checkmate Mags

I just started getting some 3 point jams and noticed that the springs are getting weak(er) on my Checkmate (Colt branded) mags. I have quite a few and have been rotating them periodically (every few months) so I don't believe they should be wearing out yet. They just haven't been used that much. Some of them have always been a little weak (too easy to insert first round) but it's now starting to impact function.

When you take the follower out, how far out should the spring be? On some of these only one coil was showing. On one mag, over 4 coils were showing and it was still pretty stiff empty.

I have stretched the springs for now to match the mag that was still good, and will only load 7 until I can remedy this.

What is the best spring for the 8 round Government Checkmate mag? How long will stretching the springs get me? I imagine it will hasten the demise of the springs.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 04-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Look at Wilson Combats website and buy the 7.95 kit, spring with follower..same one they use in the ETM's. All my wilsons are over 5 years old and function without a hiccup. Just bought that kit to replace one in a Shooting Star
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Look at Wilson Combats website and buy the 7.95 kit, spring with follower..same one they use in the ETM's. All my wilsons are over 5 years old and function without a hiccup. Just bought that kit to replace one in a Shooting Star
This is a good option or you can also check out Wolff springs too, use them and have had really good results.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 AM
COTEP Member

You can also go to Tripp Cobra(Tripp Research) for internals. These are my preference. No logic or anything bad to say about others, just been mostly with Tripp for years.

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
You can also go to Tripp Cobra(Tripp Research) for internals. These are my preference. No logic or anything bad to say about others, just been mostly with Tripp for years.

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html
I looked, but when I got here I didn't know what to do.

MS-12C042
MS-13C042
MS-14C042
MS-15C042
MS-17C042

MS-14C048
MS-17C048

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
I'm with Mike on this one. I recently suggested to Keith Lawton that they issue WC ETMs with new pistols rather than the Checkmates.
Jim
Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 PM
COTEP Member

I agree with the folks above, but you might call Checkmate Industries. I just spoke with Roger who handles sale to LEO and ret'd military and he was extremely generous with the cost on 10 new mags and threw in base pads.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Had trouble finding springs, everyone was out. I finally snagged a 10 pack of Wolff springs on Brownells and the last ISMI spring Midway had in stock.

All arrived today. I've only installed one, a Wolff, but now the 8 round mag will only fit 7 rounds. I seem to remember reading something about this and that after they take a set you can get the 8th round in. It seems unlikely however since the 8th round is a LONG WAYS from being able to go in.

Looking at the spring, it's got the same number of coils as the original, but one of the coils has a bend.

All 10 have the same bend so I guess it is part of the design, but I think that bend is what is keeping it from compressing far enough.

Anyone have the same experience? Any solutions?

- George Orwell
Old 10-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

same deal when I put the Wilson spring/follower kit in a Shooting Star. They ain't gonna take a set enough to get 8 rounds in. The polymer follower is taller than the original metal one
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Original metal follower, only the spring changed

- George Orwell