COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 10-19-2016, 05:06 AM
COTEP Member

If my pistols get shot, they get cleaned, after all they're self defense tools. Every 6-8 months I completely disassemble them and clean them up.

My only rifle, a Ruger 10/22, I dont obsess as much. Lots of Hoppe's n9, a toothbrush, boresnake, and every 3-6 months I disassemble and clean the trigger group.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Yes I do a complete field strip after every time I go to the range, it only takes a little gun powder and fuzz to lock your gun open or closed............. IMHO

Old 10-19-2016, 02:58 PM
COTEP Member

I clean after every shooting. Just raised that way.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I was trying to find out how long my DW Panther could go without cleaning before it started to jam. You know, trying to prove to myself it was as reliable as a *cough* *cough* Glock under adverse conditions. And I was shooting cast bullets which leave a LOT of soot.

Well, I forgot about the fact that I had not cleaned it in a coon's age, and I took it to the gunsmith to have an extended safety fitted. He gave me a tongue lashing about how dirty it was and said he should have charged me for cleaning it.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 10-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

No, I do not obsessively clean my weapons. If I shoot it, then the bare minimum it'll get is some fresh lube.

If I know I'll be shooting it again soon (and it's not part of the following paragraph), I won't clean it. If it's primarily for range use, like a rimfire pistol or rifle, then I won't clean it. If it's a revolver, then I generally won't clean it immediately.

If it's my primary carry piece or HD weapon (rifle, pistol, or shotty), it'll get completely cleaned. If it's the truck 1911, it'll get completely cleaned. If it's likely I won't be shooting it again for quite a while, like a bolt action hunting rifle, I will clean it thoroughly.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:25 AM
COTEP Member

I'm the exact opposite of most of you guys. I don't clean my weapons often but I also don't blow thru 1000s of rounds a week. The only thing I make sure is clean and good to go is my SD AR. No carry here in jersey

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count
Old 10-20-2016, 10:32 AM
COTEP Member

I used to be more obsessive.... Now not so much. Range guns get shot several times without cleaning. Carry is clean and barely shot. And cleaned when shot.

Two days in a row going to the range? Not even bother to take out the bag. Some wipe with rem oil in the morning and good to go. It helps being reliable Tupperware too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
If my pistols get shot, they get cleaned, after all they're self defense tools. Every 6-8 months I completely disassemble them and clean them up.

My only rifle, a Ruger 10/22, I dont obsess as much. Lots of Hoppe's n9, a toothbrush, boresnake, and every 3-6 months I disassemble and clean the trigger group.
If the get shot? Really?.... I've seen you cleaning them WHILE shooting, at lunch time. Unless you worked that OCD of yours, doubt is different.

...from phone
"The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."
COTEP#CBOB0760
Old 10-20-2016, 11:20 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
I used to be more obsessive.... Now not so much. Range guns get shot several times without cleaning. Carry is clean and barely shot. And cleaned when shot.

Two days in a row going to the range? Not even bother to take out the bag. Some wipe with rem oil in the morning and good to go. It helps being reliable Tupperware too...

If the get shot? Really?.... I've seen you cleaning them WHILE shooting, at lunch time. Unless you worked that OCD of yours, doubt is different.

...from phone
Shhhhh. I'm a bit better now. I will still clean them after shooting, probably at the range since I carry my cleaning tools in the range bag.

I will do this if the gun used for the practice, class, competition, session is also the one being used for SD, which my Glock 19 you've seen me shoot is.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:09 PM
COTEP Member

Depends on the firearm. I don't try for 'basic training military clean' any more.

I spend about 30 minutes cleaning the ARs, most of that is soak time for the barrel and BCG.

The AKs get some foaming bore cleaner and a few patches through the barrel about twice a year, then wipe down and grease the BCG.

1903s, Garand, M1A, and M1 carbine get a wipe down and lube, use an OTIS pull through for the barrel, detail stripped\cleaned once per year.

M2 carbine gets a detail strip after each trip to the range.

About 10 - 15 minutes on pistols, .22 pistols get a bit more because they tend to be dirtier.

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.