COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 10-13-2020, 04:38 PM
COTEP Member

Update: All purchased items received, as of this afternoon. I received the 2nd gas block from Optics Planet. It was not exactly the same as the first one (ie. did not have a lower rail) but, at least it came with set screws and it fit the barrel. I'll find my own allen key, I guess...

I should be able to start assembly, shortly. I'll mount the new vice onto some particle board and then test that out. I have all the vice blocks, etc. I will also need to resolve the "handguard cap" issue. Now that I have the MOE handguard, I'll check it against the triangular cap. But I think, honestly, it is not going to fit, and I will need the circular one. But I see several different sizes. Brownell's has two circular caps (one .755" and another that's .625"). There's also a triangular cap that's .750" (which I think mine is). I'll do some more measurements, but if anyone can tell me which is right for my handguard, I'd appreciate it.

We're definitely on our way. Thanks!

2nd Update: The triangular handguard cap does seem to snap in place and fits over the front of the MOE handguard. It is not a loose fit, either. Its pretty tight. Although, there is a slight bit of space at the top of the handguard that is not covered by the cap. It's on both sides of the triangular point where the gas tube hole is. If that's not an issue, then problem solved for that.

So, as soon as I anchor my vice, then I can get started. Where I think I'll need help next is in how to lubricate all the parts that need lubing when being assembled. I'll watch my Youtube videos but whatever points you have will be appreciated.

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 10-13-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:18 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Woohoo! Awesome. You will enjoy this I’m sure and shooting what your two hands built will be satisfying. Then you will want to do it again.

I use never-seize on the threads of the upper for the barrel nut as well as a light coat on the barrel hood where it goes into the upper. That’s all the “lube” I use for assembly. Before I shoot it, I will liberally oil the BCG and a little on the charging handle where the bolt slides. That’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2020, 09:04 PM
COTEP Member

I believe molly grease is what is recommended for the barrel nut. Other manufacturers have said anti-seize which is available at auto parts store. You don’t need much. A small tube would probably work for a dozen builds. That is the only spot that requires lube. Maybe some oil on the trigger pins, also I put a drop of heavy oil in the moving parts of the trigger group.

Lube points from AR15.com

Last edited by Gatorade; 10-15-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:42 PM
COTEP Member

Day 1 of assembly complete. I focused on the lower. Completed the Mag and bolt catches (although that bolt catch was a "B-Word"). And this, without my roll pin pusher (I expect that on Tues - Wed.). I did get it installed, but it seems there's isn't a lot of play in that bolt catch. There is some, but I don't know how much I should have and how far the catch should extend.

I also completed the two take-down pins and the buffer tube (with spring and buffer). I would have done the "selector switch" but I bought an "ambidextrous" selector switch and that requires dissembling it with an allen key. Lo and behold, I can't find my Allen Keys (#*@+#*$_@#). I should get them by tuesday 10/20. When I get them (and I get my roll pin pusher, I'll continue work. It's actually going pretty fast. I just hope it's right. Maybe I'll do the FCG and trigger guard while I wait for the other tools.

One thing I have learned... Make absolutely sure you can contain any springs/detents from springing away from you if at all possible. THankfully, I had some spares since I also got the Geiselle takedown pin set. They actually went in pretty easily.

Anyway, Time for some dinner. Tomorrow is another day.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:30 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
...... shooting what your two hands built will be satisfying. Then you will want to do it again ......
EXACTLY !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:34 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
EXACTLY !!

And thus, I have a 2nd lower just waiting!
Old 10-18-2020, 01:55 PM
COTEP Member

Day 2 of assembly complete. Lower is completely done. Although with one issue. The rear roll pin on the trigger guard won't seat fully. And I don't want to pound it too much because I fear it may damage the lower. I'm wondering if I can get away with, perhaps, just dremeling it down, or should I pull it out properly and insert a new one. Also, I decided not to wait for my Allen keys and installed the single sided safety lever. Maybe I'll switch it out later.

Started on the upper, but only the barrel is installed. I tried to do the delta ring, but I truly need a set of snap ring pliers for that. They should arrive Wed. I'll go back to the build then. BTW, I checked the gas tube and it seem to fit and align perfectly with the upper port andthe port on the barrel, so we'll see, once I get the block put on.

But a quick break from assembly over the next 2-3 days. On Tues, 10/20, I get to pick up my new toy from my FFL! IT's a RIA 1911 FS .45ACP!

Finally, my 1911 replaced! I bought this as an "insurance piece..." that is to have at least something for that ammo in my inventory should Biden win the election and prices go haywire thereafter. I'll wait on the other items until after the election. Hopefully, Trump will win and the prices will fall (and inventory released)... for a while, anyway. Then they'll rise again once people start gearing up again for the BLM/ANTIFA onslaught coming.

Anyway, I'll catch up with ya. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:19 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Excellent! You are doing well Sir, keep at it! As far as the roll pin not seating all the way.... you probably rolled the edges with the punch a little and it won’t seat properly. I would remove it and install a new one (only because it would bug me). Put a very light coat of oil on the new pin and it should go in much easier.

Nice 1911 purchase, I’ve been wanting to get another one but have decided to hold off till after the elections. When Trump wins, I predict there will be a ton of never used guns for sale.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Congrats on the RIA....they are good guns. I have one with a full rail and its heavy as heck but shoots great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
E
Nice 1911 purchase, I’ve been wanting to get another one but have decided to hold off till after the elections. When Trump wins, I predict there will be a ton of never used guns for sale.

Same here....wanting a 10mm but market is lousy right now. Waiting till 2021 myself when all calms down.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

A 10mm longslide is on my "When I get rich" bucket list, LOL.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell