COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 11-23-2015, 01:25 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
That pretty much describes a large percentage of immigrants these days. People used to come here to build a better life and integrate into the society, that's been changing for a long time. Just look at the number of immigrants today who don't even bother learning the language, they do however expect all of the free benefits they can get.
So much for "building" a better life.
And they used to give the citizenship test in only one language, English.
You didn't learn it you could understand much less pass the test. People used to struggle to learn English in order to pass the test. Now they give the test in over 30 languages no English neccesary.
I remember when I went to my mother in laws ceremony they were all waving the little flags they got and TRYING to sing the Natl Anthem for the event and all I could see and hear were people who had no idea what they were saying or why? Just wave the flag and get your cert is all it was to them. I didn't really see much joy in people's eyes either.

Sad place we've become....
COTEP#782
Old 11-23-2015, 04:59 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca Busa View Post
And they used to give the citizenship test in only one language, English.
You didn't learn it you could understand much less pass the test. People used to struggle to learn English in order to pass the test. Now they give the test in over 30 languages no English neccesary.
I remember when I went to my mother in laws ceremony they were all waving the little flags they got and TRYING to sing the Natl Anthem for the event and all I could see and hear were people who had no idea what they were saying or why? Just wave the flag and get your cert is all it was to them. I didn't really see much joy in people's eyes either.

Sad place we've become....
I agree, it is Sad and even sadder that it's getting worse. Sometimes it's good to be old, I won't be around to see how bad it really gets.