COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 11-28-2019, 01:07 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

If I were to start a fantastic build now, I'd try really hard to snag a Geissele Super Duty Receiver Set tomorrow for $157.

Yep, that's more than an Aero or Anderson, but you're worth it.

Another super solid option is the Sionics Gutless Lower Assembly. I took this route with one, and it's a supremely well machined and finished lower.

Last edited by Grizzman; 11-28-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:22 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

If you'd really like a Colt 6900 series, there are options for that as well.

Brownells has the Colt LE6960-CCU upper on sale right now for $515, not including BCG. It should be possible to find a new Colt BCG for around $190. I bought the BCG for mine from Arms Unlimited. In case you don't know, the 6960 was a rifle Colt sold for a while with a mid-length lightweight (but not pencil) profile barrel, shaved FSB gas block under a Centurion Arms 13" M-LOK rail, an ambi safety, and a Magpul SL-S handguard.

In 2017, Brownells was selling complete Colt M4 lower receiver assemblies for $250. It shouldn't be too difficult to track one of these down without paying too much of a markup.

This will give you a close equivalent to the 6960 for a bit over $1,000, which is what basic 6920s now cost.

Last edited by Grizzman; 11-28-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:16 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
If you'd really like a Colt 6900 series, there are options for that as well.

Brownells has the Colt LE6960-CCU upper on sale right now for $515, not including BCG. It should be possible to find a new Colt BCG for around $190. I bought the BCG for mine from Arms Unlimited. In case you don't know, the 6960 was a rifle Colt sold for a while with a mid-length lightweight (but not pencil) profile barrel, shaved FSB gas block under a Centurion Arms 13" M-LOK rail, an ambi safety, and a Magpul SL-S handguard.

In 2017, Brownells was selling complete Colt M4 lower receiver assemblies for $250. It shouldn't be too difficult to track one of these down without paying too much of a markup.

This will give you a close equivalent to the 6960 for a bit over $1,000, which is what basic 6920s now cost.

Thanks much! But I think I do like the concept of me "building" the gun from scratch and picking all the parts (with help from you folks). In that way, I can also give a real nice "big finger" salute to Colt!
Old 11-28-2019, 02:34 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

If you want to build it from scratch, then go for it. I will be finishing up a 308 lower on Saturday.

Would you like the lower to have any features beyond what's found on a standard forged mil-spec one, like ambidextrous controls, or do you like the appearance of billet lowers? If ambi is important, I'd choose an LMT MARS-L or Radian's ambi offering. They're not inexpensive, but probably less than an SR-15 ambi lower. I've got no experience with billet receivers.

If nothing non-standard is needed, then LMT's Defender, Geissele's Super Duty, or ZEV Technologies lower would be worthy of consideration.

Aero and Anderson make solid lowers, but I personally wouldn't use one in a fantastic build.

Last edited by Grizzman; 11-28-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:10 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
Aero and Anderson make solid lowers, but I personally wouldn't use one in a fantastic build.

Why not? Please explain.

man has suggested really nice “higher end” products you can use, the quality is there for sure. You won’t be disappointed with any of those lowers/uppers.

If you plan on only building one (1) rifle then, go big or go home. Otherwise, I suggest you start off in a more budget friendly build. This way you can learn the ins and outs of building the rifle and if you scratch it along the way, you won’t cry too much damaging that Instagram worthy upper/lower.

Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2019, 05:27 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I may be incorrect, but the word "fantastic" implies that this build should be something special. With the current cost of complete ARs, building with nearly top tier components makes a lot of sense.

I'm a big fan of Aero Precision. I've completed builds with three of their lowers (two 308s), three uppers (two 308s), and I've got two more 5.56 uppers sitting in a drawer for a rainy day.

Anderson seems to be on a quality level equal to Aero, but I've never used one before. They may be good, but not what I'd consider "fantastic" worthy.

If it's decided to use Aero or Anderson for this build, I have full confidence that there won't be any surprises due to the quality of product. It also may come down to simple pride of ownership. At the last gun show I attended, the vast majority of stripped lowers for sale were Andersons....most likely because they're inexpensive and easy to get, not because they're the best option available for a once in a lifetime build.

If the total build cost will end up in the $1,000-1,200 range (with good irons), an extra $60-80 to upgrade from an Aero to an LMT or similar makes a lot of sense to me. When the total cost is $500-650....not so much.

A bit of duct tape placed onto the lower receiver (in case of a minor oops), and the use of the correct tools should eliminate any change of damage to the receiver. So far all of mine have turned out flawless.

Last edited by Grizzman; 11-28-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:30 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

^^^^ Very good points, makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2019, 10:00 AM
COTEP Member

Well, with all of the 'Black Friday' sales going on have you started the build shopping process yet?
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

This is giving me the itch. But, my priorities in the coming year is to finish mt G19 build I started and purchase some new firearms I have my eye on.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:50 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
Well, with all of the 'Black Friday' sales going on have you started the build shopping process yet?

Not yet. Still cleaning up some of the "financial" issues. But I should be ready to start buying parts by the beginning of the new year. Until then, I'll be studying YT videos and your comments. I should have my picks for a lower shortly for y'all's review.

Do you favor "matched" upper/lowers (i.e. that can "swivel open" or does it matter?