COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 04-08-2021, 11:21 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Nothing inherently wrong with the 260 Remmy cartridge itself, but Remington screwed the pooch with the rifles they chambered for it when it first came out. The problem comes when you put it in a short action rifle and then don't have enough magazine length to seat it out enough for heavier bullets that you need for LR. So Remington optimized the rifles for 120 grain bullets...which kinda defeated the whole purpose of the cartridge.

With standard short action magazines you would need to seat the base of a heavy bullet DEEP into the case, reducing powder capacity. The Creedmoor solves this by using a shorter case leaving more room in a short action magazine for the bullet, and then raising the max pressure to allow the same performance as the 260 Remmy in a shorter case. The 6.5 Lapua takes it one step farther by shortening the case even more and using an even higher max pressure (blown primers are common in the Lapua).

In a single shot rifle you have no such limitations. I know of LR target shooters that love the 260 Remmy, but then they have single shot target rifles.

I had a single shot falling block chambered for it at one time, but the barrel was too light leading to rapid heat buildup in the barrel. Again, not the fault of the cartridge itself.

Thanks much! What about "6.5 Creedmoor?" I understand it's a direct competitor to .338 Lapua Magnum. But I'm also finding a bunch of LR Rifles available and "in stock" for 6.5 Creedmoor... not necessarily the same weapon in .308 Win, which is what I'd like to get.

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 04-08-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:08 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
.... What about "6.5 Creedmoor?" ....

https://ruger.com/products/precision...ets/18029.html
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:38 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Both Savage and Tikka make good rifles. Don’t count out Howa and Beragara. The best bang for your buck out of the box is the Ruger Precision Rifle, IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that's precisely on what I've settled. The RPR in .308 Win. I should acquire it within the next month or two. I'm a little busy scoring some ammo to do my test/check firings of my new inventory.

But a question... how much should I "pimp my RPR?" That is, what accessories are good to add and which aren't worth the trouble? I'm considering:

1. Timeny 2 Stage Trigger group;
  2. Anarchy Outdoors Titanium bolt shroud;
  3. MAGPUL MOE+ PRS Stock
  4. MAGPUL Pistol Grip (I that on my home built AR-15;
  5. Catalyst Arms Mag release Extension;
  6. Anarchy Heat Treated firing pin;
  7. Catalyst Arms Fast track Hand guard Allows me to slide the bipod back and forth;
  8. Anarchy Scope base with bubble level;
  9. Catalyst Arms Enhanced Bolt knob.

Which of these are "worth it" and which are rubbish? Of course, I'm going to go with a Timiney 2 stage trigger group as well as the Catalyst Arms Enhanced bolt knob....

And a month after I acquire the RPR, I'll go for the optic- I've seen both a Leupold and a Vortex in the $900.00 range that looks pretty good.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2021, 11:02 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Congratulations. It’s your rifle so you can trick it out however you want. But, I see no need to swap out the stock as the one it comes with will do everything you want it to do. The pistol grip is ok but I prefer a more vertical style for precision shooting. Bolt knob is a “want”, not needed to be swapped out. The factory trigger is ok but the Timney will be 10 times better. Look at Athlon scopes... really good bang for your buck. I have a Vortex $900 scope on the 308 and an Athlon $400 on the 6.5cm. Honestly, the Athlon out performs the Vortex in my opinion.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:19 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Congratulations. It’s your rifle so you can trick it out however you want. But, I see no need to swap out the stock as the one it comes with will do everything you want it to do. The pistol grip is ok but I prefer a more vertical style for precision shooting. Bolt knob is a “want”, not needed to be swapped out. The factory trigger is ok but the Timney will be 10 times better. Look at Athlon scopes... really good bang for your buck. I have a Vortex $900 scope on the 308 and an Athlon $400 on the 6.5cm. Honestly, the Athlon out performs the Vortex in my opinion.

I agree. I would leave the stock as is.
I have a Timmney single stage trigger I installed it on my Remy 700. It’s set at about 3lbs. Love it.
I also lean towards Leupold, but that’s because all my training including sniper school was on a Leupold. There are good as or better out there. I’m just not experienced enough with them. So I go with what I’m comfortable.

Now, you blokes got me thinking about adding a 6.5 to my collection. Sigh! More money!

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:52 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I agree. I would leave the stock as is.
I have a Timmney single stage trigger I installed it on my Remy 700. It’s set at about 3lbs. Love it.
I also lean towards Leupold, but that’s because all my training including sniper school was on a Leupold. There are good as or better out there. I’m just not experienced enough with them. So I go with what I’m comfortable.

Now, you blokes got me thinking about adding a 6.5 to my collection. Sigh! More money!

Meh, it’s just a 223 that can hit MOA (with the right equipment on and off the gun) at 1200yds. Who wants that in their arsenal?

Old 04-13-2021, 09:31 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Meh, it’s just a 223 that can hit MOA (with the right equipment on and off the gun) at 1200yds. Who wants that in their arsenal?

Well, it’s either that or a .338 Lapua. Always liked that round. But the 6.5 would be cheaper.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:47 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Well, it’s either that or a .338 Lapua. Always liked that round. But the 6.5 would be cheaper.

A whole lot cheaper!!!!!

Old 05-06-2021, 11:53 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:

I've decided to go with the Ruger Precision Rifle in .308. That way, my next upgrade could be to .338 Lapua Magnum. But first things first. Gotta get the RPR out to 1000yds on .308 175 grain. We'll see.

Hopefully, I should have it ordered within 1 week.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:15 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
I've decided to go with the Ruger Precision Rifle in .308. That way, my next upgrade could be to .338 Lapua Magnum. But first things first. Gotta get the RPR out to 1000yds on .308 175 grain. We'll see.

Hopefully, I should have it ordered within 1 week.

Awesome and good luck hitting at 1000. The furthest I could somewhat consistently hit with my 308 was 900yds with a crosswind of 10mph average. Not saying it can’t be done, just that I couldn’t with my rig.