Default Hey brownie

What do you think of the Boker Applegate Fairbairn boot knife:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAMVET72 For This Useful Post:
MajO (02-23-2015), sdmc530 (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I don't know about him, but I like it.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:15 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I don't know about him, but I like it.

Ditto that....

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Sweet looking!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I love these knives. Wikipedia says:

"The Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife is a double-edged fighting knife resembling a dagger or poignard with a foil grip developed by William Ewart Fairbairn and Eric Anthony Sykes in Shanghai based on concepts which the two men initiated before World War II while serving on the Shanghai Municipal Police in China.[1]

The F–S fighting knife was made famous during World War II when issued to British Commandos, the Airborne Forces, the SAS and many other units, especially for the Normandy Landings in June 1944. With its acutely tapered, sharply pointed blade, the F–S fighting knife is frequently described as a stiletto, a weapon optimized for thrusting,[2] although the F-S knife is capable of being used to inflict slash cuts upon an opponent when its cutting edges are sharpened according to specification.[3] The Wilkinson Sword Company made the knife with minor pommel and grip design variations.

The F-S knife is strongly associated with the British commandos and the US Office of Strategic Services (OSS) and Marine Raiders (who based their issued knife on the Fairbairn-Sykes), among other special forces / clandestine / raiding units. It features in the insignia of the British Royal Marines, the Belgian Commandos, the Dutch Commando Corps, founded in the UK during World War II, the Australian 1st Commando Regiment and 2nd Commando Regiment, and the United States Army Rangers, both founded with the help of the British Commandos. A solid gold F–S fighting knife is part of the commandos' memorial at Westminster Abbey."

"Rex Applegate (June 21, 1914 – July 14, 1998) was an American military officer who worked for the Office of Strategic Services, where he trained Allied special forces personnel in close-quarters combat during World War II. He held the rank of colonel."

I have several of the folders.

NRA Member
:stand:
Old 02-23-2015, 09:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

I have been getting into blades more and more thanks to you all on here, can you show me the sheath for a boot knife? Thinking of getting like the OP shows. You can never have enough tools!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Spoke to brownie, he said to send it to me.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
Spoke to brownie, he said to send it to me.

Namvet, it's a special purpose blade design that fits a niche role well but no other role as well as other blade designs for sd. First, because it's ground on both sides, the blades weight is reduced. That will adversely affect slashing depth for size to weight ratio over other designs.

It's a stabbing knife, not really made with the intent to slash with a lot of effectiveness [ comparably speaking ]. That's a deal breaker for me personally, I want my blades to be as effective at cutting as well as stabbing. I could make due with this design due to specific training using nothing but stabbing skills, but would prefer to carry something with both excellent stabbing and cutting qualities/effectiveness

Hope that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"

Last edited by brownie; 02-24-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post

Namvet, it's a special purpose blade design that fits a niche role well but no other role as well as other blade designs for sd. First, because it's ground on both sides, the blades weight is reduced. That will adversely affect slashing depth for size to weight ratio over other designs.

It's a stabbing knife, not really made with the intent to slash with a lot of effectiveness [ comparably speaking ]. That's a deal breaker for me personally, I want my blades to be as effective at cutting as well as stabbing. I could make due with this design due to specific training using nothing but stabbing skills, but would prefer to carry something with both excellent stabbing and cutting qualities/effectiveness

Hope that helps.
What if it was longer, much heavier, and the person in possession had popeye forearms for slashing?

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
What if it was longer, much heavier, and the person in possession had popeye forearms for slashing?
Sounds like you're describing this blade. I have an original one of these issued to OSS with the original sheath from ww2

https://www.google.com/search?q=ww2+...t%3B1000%3B750

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-US-WW2-O...item19fb064e99

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"