COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 10-26-2020, 03:40 PM
COTEP Member

Update: Had a good conversation with Magpul this afternoon. In brief, he stated that the delta ring/barrel nut can have variations in the external diameter (at the teeth). They guarantee that if you use a "Colt" Milspec barrel nut or similar one, it will fit. The diameter from tooth to tooth can be between 1.55 - 1.56" but no more. He did state that while the internals may fit the upper, the teeth can be different. So, my mission now is to find the appropriate barrel nut and hope that it fits my current delta ring assembly. I won't mind replacing the entire assembly if needed.

He also stated that I could use a low profile gas block and the triangular HG cap with the M-LOK model of HG that I have. So we'll see what's up with that.

OK, I'll be searching for that new barrel nut and will keep you posted. I'm also awaiting shipment of my replacement gas tube roll pins, so we'll see.

I'll post pictures once I get the barrel nut issue resolved (or not).
Old 10-26-2020, 05:45 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Glad you got some insight from the manufacturer. I don’t have much experience with delta ring barrel nuts as I always go the free float route. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2020, 03:17 PM
COTEP Member

Update: I've done some further research and I've discovered that Colt does make a "barrel nut assembly" (including the nut, ring, spring and spanner ring) rather cheep ($26.00). So I will order one of those and see how it goes. I've also been studying some Youtube videos on gas tube alignment, when I saw a handy tool to align the barrel gas port and the block hole. They sell these little push rods that you can fit into the barrel port hole, mount the block, turn it upside down and when you feel the port and block hole aligned (rod drops down into the block hole), you can then screw it down and then use a cleaning rod to break the pin so that both parts will fall out of the barrel (Make sure they do...). In a pinch, I even saw where one guy used a short span of Spaghetti to do the same thing!

I'll advise when the new Colt ring/assembly comes in. May be a while as I reached my spending limit for this month.

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 10-28-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:55 PM
COTEP Member

Mmmmm spaghetti. You are doing well Sir, keep it up.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:41 AM
COTEP Member

Update. Sorry I haven't given one in a while, but I'm still waiting for a few more parts and tools. In particular a set of roll pin holders because I don't want to try the gas block pin without one. They should arrive shortly. Also, I've been a little busy elsewhere. I acquired a couple of 80% lowers (unfortunately, one of them is a "Polymer" but oh well... it came with the jig), in order to prepare for what may be coming under Biden. Also, I may very well be able to acquire a Mossberg 590a 12G tomorrow. It's not a semi-auto like the 930s I had, but it should hold me until I can scrape enough up for a JM pro, assuming prices haven't sky rocketed.

As for the build, I received the Colt built Delta Ring assembly, but I find no appreciable difference between it and the one I assembled on the barrel, except that the spring tension on the Colt is much harder/tighter. Hard to depress it. I was trying to see if I could get the HG to fit on it. What I discovered about that is that HG has a grove on both sides where I believe the teeth of the barrel nut should fit. I wish I could show you and image of it but I can't upload images directly and "Imgur" now requires a login or white list on Ad Block Plus. I think the teeth of the barrel nut go inside that grove when the HG is attached. I'll have to work on that a little. It may require a wee bit of dremmelling on the HG. It still doesn't fit perfectly. Just a little dremmeling... not much.

Oh, BTW, I figured out what happened with that first gas block I purchased... the one where I thought they hadn't supplied the set screws. In fact, they had. What they supplied were internal allen key set screws, just not the ones with the heads on them. DUH! Well, I'l l be using that first one on the build. I just have some more parts for the next build.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I can finished up this build with in the month and get it ready for test firing. Then I'll be back for some suggestions on how to do that safely.

Thanks all!
Old 11-10-2020, 10:06 AM
COTEP Member

Take your time and do it right, you are getting there! I haven’t done any of those 80% AR lowers but, I’ve been curious. Please let us know how that goes for ya too.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:35 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Now you got me thinking about doing a polymer 80% lower while it's still possible to get them. President Harris will probably shut that down by executive order once sleepy Joe is out of the way.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 11-10-2020, 10:44 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Now you got me thinking about doing a polymer 80% lower while it's still possible to get them. President Harris will probably shut that down by executive order once sleepy Joe is out of the way.

This is the polymer 80% I got. And, as you can see, it comes with the jig and the drill bits... Still in stock as of this posting.

On Primary Arms Website.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:34 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:

Received mine today, along with the metal 80% lower as well. The polymer lower does seem rather sturdy. I'll have to see if I can mount a metal upper on it to house the action. The jig is also workable as well, but it's plastic so I don't know if it would work with a metal lower.

But the thing is, if "President Harris" also bans the sale of parts and tools to make something out of our 80% lowers, then I don''t know what we do. I guess I'll need to start buying parts now for them anyway...

And, one other acquisition today... a Mossberg 590s 12G!

It's not a full size, but it actually may work better in HD situations.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:03 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Damn! Someone else sees the nasty shit coming at us.

The American dream is alive and well... When a California call girl can get into the Whitehouse.

The question will be, did the old Joser die of natural causes.

BTW - All my dies are RCBS. Once set up, don't touch'em. Need a new set up buy a set up kit.

COTEP 439