COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 02-25-2021, 07:56 PM
COTEP Member

Update: I have all the parts for the 2nd build ordered and/or shipped. Just a few stragglers. I should be ready to go on it shortly.

That said, I think I'm going to change direction and start working on a long range rifle acquisition. I have two in mind;

1) Tac-Ops Bravo-51 (classic KATE II); chambered in .308 Lapua/Winchester

2) Barret .50BMG (either the M82A1 or the M107A1).

And, then, after that it's time to consider a couple of NFA items but I'll have to save some big bucks for those. We'll see.

If anyone has "resources" on pricing etc. for the Bravo-51, I'd appreciate the help. It's hard to find.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:00 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Interesting....... sorry can’t help you there. My 1000 yd rifle is a Beregara B14 HMR in 6.5cm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2021, 09:15 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
Update: I have all the parts for the 2nd build ordered and/or shipped. Just a few stragglers. I should be ready to go on it shortly.

That said, I think I'm going to change direction and start working on a long range rifle acquisition. I have two in mind;

1) Tac-Ops Bravo-51 (classic KATE II); chambered in .308 Lapua/Winchester

2) Barret .50BMG (either the M82A1 or the M107A1).

And, then, after that it's time to consider a couple of NFA items but I'll have to save some big bucks for those. We'll see.

If anyone has "resources" on pricing etc. for the Bravo-51, I'd appreciate the help. It's hard to find.

Go for it man!

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:46 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
Go for it man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Interesting....... sorry can’t help you there. My 1000 yd rifle is a Beregara B14 HMR in 6.5cm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I had a nice chat with one of the head honchos and designers at TAC-OPS. Apparently, due to the lack of materials (stocks, etc.), the "Bravo-51" is no longer in production. The "goto" model is now, either:

1) The "Delta 51" used by most LEAs, with a stock made of polycarbonite fiber. A lot lighter to carry, but a little harder to control the recoil (it would be chambered in .308 Lapua/Winchester). About $6000.00

2) The "XRAY-51" - A lot heavier stock, but easier recoil management. A little more expensive ($7000-8000).

If I didn't need to "move around" with it, the XRAY-51 would be a better choice (i.e. sitting or prone position with bipod, etc.). But I wonder if the Delta-51 would be a better choice, recoil not withstanding. I need to learn how to manage it anyway, and I can still get it configured with a bipod for prone or seated work.

I have a couple of months to think about it, as I'll need that much time to come up with the down payment on it.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:23 AM
COTEP Member

Dang, you're certainly on one impressive roll lately bud, adding some nice pieces to your arsenal for sure, not to mention your hand built ones !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:46 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
Dang, you're certainly on one impressive roll lately bud, adding some nice pieces to your arsenal for sure, not to mention your hand built ones !!

Making up for lost time, and bad decisions. I had always been "Pro 2A..." even since childhood, when I went to a summer day camp where one of the chief counselors and bus driver would take us shooting at a local HS range (some private schools actually did have them back then). Turns out he was also an NRA instructor. I learned to handle a .22 bolt action rifle.

That education continued, oddly enough, at University, where the P.E. dept. offered a course in "Riflery" taught by, as I discovered, the GySgt. on station at the University for the NROTC program. I learned a lot, and I even got to participate in a team competition. My team won! We even beat out the campus police team (although they did win Individual titles). One has to wonder if they still offer that course, or even the NROTC program at all...

After that, I simply went "dormant" for a long while. Not being "anti 2A," but not actively embracing it either, and not owning anything. That all changed in 2013 while still in NJ, thanks to my Cave diving buddy who was also an NRA instructor. He got me hooked again. I began to see the need for us to take action, in part, thanks to my living in the PRNJ and seeing the injustice of some states like it. I became a gun owner for the 1st time in 2013 (a P226), having acquired my NJ FPID card and a couple of P2Ps. I joined a gun forum in NJ and in 2014 I joined FCC.

2-3 pistols and a 12G in, I moved to FL in 2015. It's where I wanted to be. Not only for 2A, but for cave diving and just overall atmosphere. It's where I wanted to and had planned to retire, eventually. But I hadn't planned on it so soon. Property values in NJ shot up to where it made sense to sell my townhouse and go right away. So I did, even at the risk of my IT business not being as successful as in the NY area. Within 6 months, I had sold my townhouse in NJ for a nice profit and had enough to pay off that mortgage and also pay for my home in FL in cash (no mortgage).

Unfortunately, the success of that move was short lived. As I feared, the IT consulting business did not do very well in FL, as no one in FL likes to pay for computer repairs, etc. Why should they? They have grandchildren for that! That, and I didn't have the networking contacts, I had up there. I ended up folding the business and getting into some financial difficulties. I had to sell a lot of property to straighten things out, including my car, most of my diving gear, and all but one of my valued "inventory items."

But, fear not. I found out last year that I was eligible to start my "retirement" and receive Social Security benefits a little early. And it was a rather nice amount (and was only $500.00/mo short of what I would have received at "full retirement age"), thanks to my days on Wall St and all the FICA taxes I paid. I may as well get something out of it before they declare Soc. Sec. "insolvent." And I make some supplemental income teaching English to Foreign students over the Internet. I can make up to $19K in supplemental income before hitting the Soc. Sec. threshold.

That settled, it was time to "reclaim" the inventory I lost... and to do it with 2020 restrictions, and Covid, and all that. Hence, my current "spending spree." And I've managed to do that while keeping up with my real estate taxes and other expenses. I renegotiated my Home Owner's policy and make monthly payments on it, which freed up the cash flow. And this new policy doesn't have a "dangerous dog" prohibition so I can, eventually, own my family's favorite breed, a Doberman Pinscher. But that, in time. Abd the Diving gear will also take some time. But I will get it back.

At present, I've manged to replace every piece of inventory I had to sell, and then some. I even have two items I'm saving for my niece and nephew.

So that's where we're at. I have pistols, ARs and 12Gs covered. Now, it's time for a long ranger or two. Then we'll work on the NFAs.

But I wouldn't have been able to do it without your help.

Thanks all!

Old 02-28-2021, 04:42 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've been fortunate. Through my career I've had the opportunity to make overtime. While I shared with my family and took vacation I always used it for my to "toys." Never our living wages.
Now, that I'm retired my range job pays for more. Even in this communist state I managed to pick some great ones. Some worth a lot of money and some historical.
What burns me is certain specific items that I can't have. For example I want to build an M16A1 clone like I shot in boot camp. Also, a suppressor and/or suppressed weapon.
One day.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:44 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
I've been fortunate. Through my career I've had the opportunity to make overtime. While I shared with my family and took vacation I always used it for my to "toys." Never our living wages.
Now, that I'm retired my range job pays for more. Even in this communist state I managed to pick some great ones. Some worth a lot of money and some historical.
What burns me is certain specific items that I can't have. For example I want to build an M16A1 clone like I shot in boot camp. Also, a suppressor and/or suppressed weapon.
One day.

I wouldn't say I've been "unfortunate." I had a decent career and income in corporate life, culminating in a 12 year gig on Wall St. which resulted in some nice income/bonuses. My downfall was not saving as much of it as I could. Instead, I traveled Internationally a lot (which was actually quite nice... been to 6 out of 7 continents, with only Antarctica left). I should have prioritized savings a little more and traveling a little less.

No matter. I'm still alive with a fully paid roof over my head. I'm minus a car but, oddly enough, I'm finding I can take care of my basic transport needs with "Lyft" services and the occasional rented car. Over this year, we'll see if it cost me less to own/maintain the car (including Fuel, Auto Insurance, maintenance etc.), or to use Lyft and car rentals. Oddly enough, I also find that I don't make as many "superfluous" trips that I'd not even worry about when I had the car (I'd just hop in). I have most of my groceries delivered (the Wally World in my area does that now). So, I'm doing fine. I'll probably do the rental thing when I need to travel up to Cave country or to a range. So we'll see.

But so far, so good.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

As long as you’re happy and healthy that’s all that matters.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
As long as you’re happy and healthy that’s all that matters.
^^ Exactly !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.