COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Blades

Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 PM
COTEP Member

Default EDC vs SD knives

After receiving my Kershaw folder from Michael I have found myself in a little Selina. Previous to this I had a couple cheap folders that I used for everything from package opening, to screw driver, to pry bar. This Kershaw is way too good for that. Now I find myself carrying the Kershaw more places but putting it to use less often due to wanting to keep it in the best shape for self defense.

This got me thinking about what factors y'all think of when looking for a daily utility knife, and what differences you look at when looking for a self defense knife. Also which would you on have in your pocket on a daily basis.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:48 PM
COTEP Member

For me, a daily knife has to be easy to sharpen and sturdy. I wouldn't spend too much on it. Usually I swap between the Kershaw Blur and a Spyderco Tenacious.

For SD, I prefer fixed blades. I carry either a 10-inch custom Bowie or a Sypderco Street Bowie in a Panther Sheath.

I usually carry both. I also have a small neck knife that I will carry as well.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

left pocket....Sodbuster Jr for utility work. Right pocket, Spyderco Endura plain edge. If it looks like Bowel Movements matter is gonna kick up it's heels on campus, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie in a Panther sheath under my shirt
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523

Last edited by Riverpigusmc; 08-24-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

As previously stated, SD knife would be a fixed blade. I personally don't carry one but, been thinking about it. My pocket folders are not cheap but, definitely not considered expensive. It's usually the Kershaw Piston ($60ish) in my pocket for edc
Old 08-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

i only carry folders. my favorite is my flash II. i like the pocket clip kind personally.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:44 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I only carry one knife for all. I sharpen it several times a week. I probably should use another knife for utility work.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 08-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

First off... thanks for the compliment on the Kershaw. It is one of my favorites. To answer the question tho... I carry a zero tolerance 350, which uses the same Kershaw single finger opening system. Love the knife. it IS a bit heavier than my Kershaw, but I really do like the single flick opening. I actually like it better than a switchblade, since it's not really mechanical. Less to break. The most fun is when some liberal says "does anyone have a knife" and two seconds later I've got an open ZT in front of them saying "what do you need this for?".... The look on their face is "pricesless".

Michael
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:47 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post
First off... thanks for the compliment on the Kershaw. It is one of my favorites. To answer the question tho... I carry a zero tolerance 350, which uses the same Kershaw single finger opening system. Love the knife. it IS a bit heavier than my Kershaw, but I really do like the single flick opening. I actually like it better than a switchblade, since it's not really mechanical. Less to break. The most fun is when some liberal says "does anyone have a knife" and two seconds later I've got an open ZT in front of them saying "what do you need this for?".... The look on their face is "pricesless".

Michael
This, I carry the ZT 350 I won here, best defensive folder I currently own. I like the Kershaw Blur but I feel it needs a better finger choil so hand doesn't slip over edge.

But seriously, how many here are trained to use blades defensively? And if you did use it defensively how is that going to look to a prosecutor? Knife wounds (slashes and puncture wounds) are normally associated with criminal elements. If you can stab someone like that, especially with a 10 inch Bowie (really?) then you ought to shoot the bastard.

A good solid kubaton fits my need better, you can easily crack a sternum and kill if thrusted into neck areas or the temple. Also consider I work at a school so carrying a fixed blade for defensive use is a no-go. But my zero tolerance is stout when deployed to the point I don't feel feel under knifed if I have to put it into action.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:11 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
This, I carry the ZT 350 I won here, best defensive folder I currently own. I like the Kershaw Blur but I feel it needs a better finger choil so hand doesn't slip over edge.

But seriously, how many here are trained to use blades defensively? And if you did use it defensively how is that going to look to a prosecutor? Knife wounds (slashes and puncture wounds) are normally associated with criminal elements. If you can stab someone like that, especially with a 10 inch Bowie (really?) then you ought to shoot the bastard.

A good solid kubaton fits my need better, you can easily crack a sternum and kill if thrusted into neck areas or the temple. Also consider I work at a school so carrying a fixed blade for defensive use is a no-go. But my zero tolerance is stout when deployed to the point I don't feel feel under knifed if I have to put it into action.

I treat the Bowie like most people would treat a BUG. But the tool I would use when attacked would be based on the situation. If my primary gun went fubar the knife would be there. Or if I was attacked on my strong side where I could not draw the gun, I could draw the knife from the left side.

And as you know, yup I've had a number of knife classes, including a class on long knives.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:21 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehill View Post
I treat the Bowie like most people would treat a BUG. But the tool I would use when attacked would be based on the situation. If my primary gun went fubar the knife would be there. Or if I was attacked on my strong side where I could not draw the gun, I could draw the knife from the left side.

And as you know, yup I've had a number of knife classes, including a class on long knives.
In your case I'm not questioning the training I know you've had, I'm questioning the practice of carrying a 10 inch blade that was appropriate for the old Wild West. You would have a really hard time explaining yourself if somebody was found slashed and stabbed with a 10 inch knife. A lot more scrutiny that if you just shot someone. If you use the 10-inch bowie knife as a bug why not just carry a bug?

I believe when it comes to knife fighting and long blades (bowies and such) there is a lot fantasizing an era we're big blades were called for. Unless you're hiking up in high mountain or the Plains, in an urban setting a 10 inch Bowie really has no practical purposes in my opinion. A short fixed blade as a last ditch effort, or gun retention tool is one thing, a 10 inch Bowie is a complete different story.

Last edited by pitor; 08-26-2017 at 08:28 AM.