COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 11-10-2020, 08:27 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
Received mine today, along with the metal 80% lower as well. The polymer lower does seem rather sturdy. I'll have to see if I can mount a metal upper on it to house the action. The jig is also workable as well, but it's plastic so I don't know if it would work with a metal lower.

But the thing is, if "President Harris" also bans the sale of parts and tools to make something out of our 80% lowers, then I don''t know what we do. I guess I'll need to start buying parts now for them anyway...

And, one other acquisition today... a Mossberg 590s 12G!

It's not a full size, but it actually may work better in HD situations.

Nice shotgun! I wanted a Shockwave but, now they are too much $$$$ and scarce. I’ll wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2020, 04:14 PM
COTEP Member

zzzzzzzz...........

Old 11-17-2020, 07:59 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
zzzzzzzz...........

Sorry man.... my last set of tools arrive tomorrow, so I should be back to it shortly. I have to do the gas tube assembly very carefully.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:14 AM
COTEP Member

No need to be sorry, I just like builds.

Old 11-28-2020, 03:48 PM
COTEP Member

Update: A wee bit of progress today. I was able to use the spare Delta ring assembly and fit it around the top portion of the HG (i.e. barrel nut teeth inside rear HG grove. So I have a little confidence in that. We'll see after I get the gas tube assembly completed, which is my next big task. With those two done, I can mount upper to lower, put on the stock, and get if finalized.

We'll see.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:56 AM
COTEP Member

Checking in, how are things moving along now?
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:14 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
Checking in, how are things moving along now?

Slightly delayed, as I am currently involved in the acquisition of one of the inventory items I had lost when I had to sell it. And it's a pretty big deal for me. I was able to re-acquire a Sig Sauer P226... the first gun I ever owned. I got the exact same model I had purchased originally and, from what I understand, NIB. And for a pretty sweet price... less than what I paid for the original one!

This was my first purchase via GunBroker Auction, and I won the auction. It cost me $10.00 over the starting bid as some %$(@#*$% tried to out bid me by $5.00 with 2 hours left in the auction. Either they were trying to be an "Alpha Hotel..." or he was counting on me not noticing he had outbid me. He was wrong. I re-up'ed him and kept watching the auction live until it ended. I was expecting him to "15min rule" me but he did not, and the auction ended on time.

But wait... there's more. The seller wanted Paypal for payment. But what I did not realize is that Paypal had flagged the transaction as a "security risk..." Either they knew it was a "Firearms transaction" (based on the prev. history patterns of the seller), or they imposed a $500.00 daily limit on paying money, per payee. So I had to wait 24hrs to pay the balance, but it got paid, and I now have tracking info. now. I expect it to arrive at my FFL from GA on 12/09.

Next acquisition: A Mossberg 940 JM Pro. I'm trying to take care of what I absolutely need to before Biden starts clamping down. After that, I'll put in a big order for more AR15 parts as they may also become "restricted." I'll buy three sets of parts to cover the three lowers I have waiting (2 of which are 80% lowers, one of those, polymer).

I'll try to work on the current build this coming Sat. I have to align the gas block and tube, connect it onto the barrel, and then mount the HG. Then I can put it together and finish it off.

Thanks much.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts
Default Another Source for Nice Uppers, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
Take a look at these uppers/lowers:

https://andersonmanufacturing.com/
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca...w-15-mlok-rail
They have Excellent Products and Fully Stand Behind them, I know from Experience
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-07-2020, 08:55 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1911 View Post
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca...w-15-mlok-rail
They have Excellent Products and Fully Stand Behind them, I know from Experience

Thanks much! I actually have 3 lowers (2 of which are 80% and one of those being polymer) so I will need all the other parts to go with them, eventually.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:40 PM
COTEP Member

Default Building Confidence

Update: A bit of progress, today. I was able to get the HG to fit into the delta ring on the main barrel assembly. It does fit. So, now, I have to put the gas tube back in after mounting the block to the tube. I have my gas block roll pin tool and, with a little bit of lube, that may help me get it across the block and in/out of the tube. Then I have to alight the block onto the barrel hole. I have my plastic pieces for that.

I was delayed a little bit because I was involved in re-assessing my priorities in re: the election and what weapons I need to secure pronto before they get scarce from being "hogged." And I struck a huge score, over this past week.

I just completed my first successful Gunbroker auction! And it was to recover one of the items I lost when I had to sell it previously. The very first gun I ever owned.... a Sig Sauer P226 Nitron. The exact same make and model I owned previously but NIB. I think I was successful because I watched the auction very carefully. It all comes down to the last 15 minutes of the auction.

I made the first (prelim) bid at the minimum bid price, roughly 1.5 days before the auction ended. I kept watching and there was no activity at all, until maybe 2 hrs before the auction was to end. Then someone outbid me by $5.00. But, thankfully, I was watching it directly and saw the bid. I was able to counter the bid by another $5.00. And that was the last bid put on the item when the auction closed. I won the auction!

After that, it was just arranging things with the merchant, who was very pleasant and helped me when Paypal wanted to screw me by not letting me send the entire price in one transaction. I had to do it in two transactions, one 24hrs later than the first ($500.00 limit per day). This worked, and the merchant shipped within 3 days. My FFL received the pkg today!

One thing to be aware of when using GB is the "15 minute rule..." also known as the "Going... Going... Gone" rule. It's used to discourage "sniping" (ie. someone out bidding someone else at the last minute with only a short time left in the auction). If a new bid is received with less than 15 minutes left in the auction, the closing time is extended by 15 minutes past the time that last bid was received, giving the other bidders time to counter. So, say the auction originally ends at 19:00hrs, and at 18:55, someone puts in another bid, the ending time is extended to 19:10. If I then counter that last bid at 19:05, then it's extended to 19:20. If no other bids are submitted, then the auction ends at 19:20 and the last bid wins.

I'll go to pick up my P226 on Monday. Once picked up, I'm going to send my P320 into Sig Sauer for that "voluntary upgrade." THen I'll work with my FFL to figure out how we're going to manage my purchases. He actually still has some things I could get from him, still in his inventory. But I'd rather hold off on those (I pretty much know he'll still have them) and finish up with the other things I need to get on the open market.

I'll try to work on the gas tube assembly this coming week. I'll keep you posted. Winning that auction was a big deal. Now I feel confident I can get other things on GB, as long as I vet the merchant.

Thanks all!

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 12-12-2020 at 06:48 PM.