COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 07-08-2021, 08:37 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Looks awesome!

Don’t forget to check the level of you reticle vs the level of your bubble level. There is an easy way to check it and I can post a how to when I get some time, if there is interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2021, 08:43 PM
COTEP Member

Update: Well, I had my safety briefing class at the JTAC ranch range, today. They had us shoot both a rifle and a pistol, 5 rounds each. For the pistol, I used my EDC (P365) which I hadn't actually shot yet. Works fine! They had us start from "unloaded." They had us load a full mag into the pistol and cock and make ready. Then, they had us unload and show clear, without firing. THen they had a reload the full mag a second time and "make ready." Then they let everyone fire 5 rounds, then unload and clear.

For the rifle, we had to do the same procedure. Most used their ARs, but I brought my RPR. Since it's "bolt action," the mgr. said we shouldn't load ammo (to conserve it as it's expensive), but just "show the motions..." which I did. They said I could actually fire it on the range after we finished. But the member sign ups took too long (everyone had to go into the office individually and sign up on their computer). After I signed up (for the "precision" membership) I ran out of time. I will go back one day to test fire it, as well as my built AR and the other of my Inventory.

All in all, a good day. I'll be back in mid-August for the "Long Range 101" rifle course. But I might come back earlier to do the test firings, etc. We'll see.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:34 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

sounds awesome!!
Old 07-19-2021, 11:12 PM
COTEP Member

That’s great! I wish I was closer, I’d go shooting with you any day.

Old 08-04-2021, 04:51 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
That’s great! I wish I was closer, I’d go shooting with you any day.

I wish you were, as well. I need a good shooting buddy as my number one buddy is out of state.

And, already, I have to delay my 2nd trip to JTAC for another two weeks. They pushed my Long Range Rifle class to 09/04. That's OK, though. I'll try to get registered for it ASAP as I think that's the Sunday before Labor Day. Range will probably be packed. At least I think we'll be on the 500yd range so not so many folks there. I'll get my AR and my RPR zeroed in before then.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:34 PM
COTEP Member

Good luck bro!

Old 08-04-2021, 07:17 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Good luck bro!

Thanks man. I just hope the AR goes "bang" when it's supposed to and stays quiet when it should.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:52 PM
COTEP Member

I have no doubts that it won’t do what it’s supposed to. When first shooting a new build I put together, I insert one round at a time. If all goes well, I load two or three. Hopefully it doesn’t go full auto on me.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:27 PM
COTEP Member

OK folks, here it is.... The long awaited "range report" on all my new inventory!

Had a rather decent day at JTAC, and I met some of my fellow "Hide" members. But I got all of my new inventory "test fired" and all went "BANG" when they were supposed to.

Now, for the AR I built at the beginning of this thread. Indeed, it went "BANG" but, sadly, it didn't cycle. I had to cycle it manually by pulling the charging handle. By doing so, the spent brass did eject properly and the new cartridge did load and go into battery. And yes, it fired and went BANG! But not enough gas pressure to make the rifle cycle... not even to push the charging handle back. So, it would appear I have some gas port/block issues to work out.

OTOH, the RPR went BANG! That thing is a beast! I really have a lot to learn in re: that rifle. First thing I have to learn is getting the proper sight picture via the scope. This, while wearing eyes and ears, etc. and not letting things like my ball cap getting in the way of getting the reticle picture. Anyway, I will have that class shortly, and hopefully, I'll have some practice in before then. Probably best to go "prone" here as I think I have better control of my head's angle against the scope, and my eyes will work better. I may seriously have to consider "contacts" rather than wear glasses. But we'll see.

Otherwise, all my other inventory (pistols, etc.) fired correctly and safely, And I tested them with both "practice ammo" (ball ammo) as well as EDC ammo (JHPs). Furthermore, I test my two shotties with both #8 Target load and 00-buck. Both my 940 JM Pro and my Shockwave did well. The kick wasn't so bad on the shockwave, but I think I'll have to find a better stance/posture to minimize recoil but get good aiming in.

Great range day and new friends made. I even got a "Wally Walk" in last night... no issues. Looking forward to the "Long Range 101" course in another month.

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 08-11-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:49 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Good deal, man!

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.