COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 10-29-2021, 02:24 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Mine don’t look much different than yours on the lower access spacing/gap. So I’m thinking it’s the spring. Are you sure you used the correct spring when you installed the lower parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2021, 02:28 PM
COTEP Member

Yes, the StrelokPro app has a Kestrel connection/ compatibility.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:11 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Mine don’t look much different than yours on the lower access spacing/gap. So I’m thinking it’s the spring. Are you sure you used the correct spring when you installed the lower parts?

No, I'm not sure of that. I've ordered a couple of Bolt catch replacement kits that have the appropriate spring, detent, and roll pin. As soon as I get those in, I'll pull out the old assembly, hopefully without damaging the lower. Ill have to lube it up with penetrating oil to loosen the old pin. Then I an pull it out.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:00 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
No, I'm not sure of that. I've ordered a couple of Bolt catch replacement kits that have the appropriate spring, detent, and roll pin. As soon as I get those in, I'll pull out the old assembly, hopefully without damaging the lower. Ill have to lube it up with penetrating oil to loosen the old pin. Then I an pull it out.

That’s a good start.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:00 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
That’s a good start.

What's your recommendation on removing the old bolt catch roll pin? I'll probably start with some penetrating oil and light taps. I just have to be real careful I don't damage the lower.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:28 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
What's your recommendation on removing the old bolt catch roll pin? I'll probably start with some penetrating oil and light taps. I just have to be real careful I don't damage the lower.

Tape up the lower anywhere the punch or hammer may come in contact with. Use the proper sized punch and lightly tap it out from the muzzle towards the Butt end. Take your time and use oil. Should come out somewhat easily.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:43 PM
COTEP Member

Update: The replacement Bolt Catch groups arrived today and took less than 1hr to install (including removing the old parts).

These are some pics below of both the original group and the replacement group. The original is on the right. First the spring and detent.

You'll notice the spring on the right (original) is shorter and a little thicker, but it matches the fit of the detent/plunger on the right. The spring and detent/plunger on the left also match each other and the spring is softer. So, I conclude that the original spring and detent/plunger were the correct ones for the bolt catch group installed. But was the group itself correct?

Now, the view of the bolt catches, themselves. Original on the right.

You'll notice the big difference in design. I think this was the primary issue causing the catch not to lock. The spring didn't help either, but I think this was the real culprit.

I completely replaced the original parts with the replacements, all except the roll pin which fit back in properly.

The bolt catch works flawlessly, now. I tested it with some new snap caps that actually had the same weight as live rounds. They ejected properly and the last ejection resulted in the catch locking strongly. I dropped the empty mag and then gave the weapon a light bang, and it held. Only when I pressed the release did it close and go into battery. I will do a final test at JTAC this month at my next visit to confirm it will hold after firing/ejecting the last round in the mag.

Thanks to all for your help. The AR is fully functional now. Confidence totally built.

Sometime early next year, I will begin the 2nd build. Hopefully, to go a lot smoother.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:10 PM
COTEP Member

And yet another Update. Had an excellent day on the precision range. Got a really nice grouping on the RPR. I just have to adjust a smidge more and I'll be right on target. But I also have to learn to control my own movements as well because no matter how accurate you are with your rifle, you also must have accuracy in how you hold it. And I'm complicating things by learning how to shoot left handed (I'm right handed, left eye dominant).

The AR is working perfectly and the bolt catch held after I emptied a mag. It is 100% now. I just have to keep it cleaned and oiled. And I have to make some minor adjustments in re: zeroing it in. At least, I'm on paper and very close to zero. I think one more range session should do it.

Thanks all. I'll most likely start the 2nd AR build in early 2022.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:51 AM
COTEP Member

Quick Question: What are you all recommending for "Frangible 5.56?" If I'm going to put either this build or "Build #2 (comming in 2022) into the HD plan, I'm not going to be able to use "Green Tip" for that So, I'm looking for some good Frangible 5.56 that will get the job done without overdoing it.

Any recommendations?
Old 12-16-2021, 09:25 PM
COTEP Member

Hey bud, sorry for being out of touch lately.

I’m glad you were able to get the AR to 100%. Now that you have experience building and troubleshooting this platform, your second one will be as easy as on his first date.

I can’t imagine learning to shoot precision shots with my off hand, but you have to do what you have to do. Work on your fundamentals before every shot at first and you will eventually just do it properly unconsciously. Remember, don’t death grip the grip. A light touch with focus on the trigger finger is all that’s needed. Your shoulder and either bag or bipod will hold the gun steady.

I don’t know anything about frangible ammo, sorry.