COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Product Reviews

Old 02-04-2022, 07:51 PM
Founding Member
Admimberistrator

Default Cryptocurrency Exchange Platform Reviews

Lately, I have been doing a lot of research on this. I like Coinbase the best so far. It gets good reviews, seems pretty intuitive and simple. If you want to start investing in Crypto I would suggest starting with a Coinbase account. If you use this link supposedly we will both get $10 free. It looks like I did get $10 for signing up. https://www.coinbase.com/join/3FCPIU

I started out buying $1500 of Bitcoin in Coinbase. You can set up a bank account so you can buy directly from your bank account. Some of the other trading platforms don't allow direct transfers from banks so it's handy. It takes a few days to get your bank account set up. They do 2 deposits of a few cents to your account to validate that the account is real and you own it. Once set up you can click the "Buy/Sell" button and buy Crypto using your bank account. I have a bank account that I just use for online stuff like Paypal and such and don't keep a lot of money in it.

I watched a video on Youtube about Crypto loaning and wanted to see how that worked. So I signed up for an account on the KuCoin platform. The KuCoin trading platform seems to be a good one for loaning if you're not doing transfers greater than $1500. You can't buy crypto with a bank account on KuCoin so I transferred about $1300 of my Bitcoin from my Coinbase account. Then I traded my Bitcoin for USDT and made it available in the loaning pool. One person borrowed it for about a day and I made next to nothing. The loaning rates are really low right now so I pulled it out of the pool and bought ETH - Ethereum.

Now as luck would have it ETH went up today and I made a litttle. Here's what each platform looks like...

Any thoughts? I'm betting the stock market is going to keep going up a little longer but I also think all the money printing and inflation is going to catch up and the stock market is headed for a big downturn. I have a gold miner hedge on my 401k but I'm noticing on the down market days even gold is down so it's not really helping. During the COVID crash, the hedge didn't help at all. Most of the Crypto's are down quite a lot right now so maybe it's a good buying opportunity.

Granted, this is an odd product review but maybe we can buy more guns to review if we make tons of money buying Crypto.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:53 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Well you are braver than I am. I have a few concerns of Crypto. Take bitcoin, its only value is what the owner(s) of bitcoin say its worth. You can just sell it you have to sell it to another person or investor. While its become more and more prevalent its not insured, the stock market isn't either I know.

I asked my wife about this being she is a financial mind and she laughed at me. Said hard no.

I have co-workers who have money in it as well. they have some up to 1k, most is just a few hundred. They are just playing with it. If they make money they are of course happy but I think they more or less use it as a hobby or something to play with.

I hope you make a killing at it though. Honestly makes me nervous. But I have never been a gambler.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:02 AM
COTEP Member

I'd actually prefer to trade in real precious metals (gold/silver). I think the risks are a little lower than Crypto, as the Feds will be all over Crypto soon enough... and especially if we go "cashless" in this society. As stated on a different site, I'd rather trade in gold, sliver, and .45ACP!
Old 02-05-2022, 10:08 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Remember the dot.com bubble of the 90s?

Lots of Internet startups with no hard assets and their only revenue stream was from selling stocks. People were quitting their jobs to focus all their time on investing in dot.coms.

I look at crypto and wonder what the difference is.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 02-05-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:38 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

Shit, I can barely count what's in my billfold. Can ya trade all these xs and 0s into real money?
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 02-05-2022, 03:56 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Yeah, its like investing in anything else, I get the allurer, just not for me. I have silver though, cant afford gold lol

But yeah, who knows....
Old 02-05-2022, 05:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
cant afford gold lol
Buy 1/10th ounce coins.
The safest inexpensive gold coins are 1/10 ounce American Gold Eagles. Bid on them on EBay. I picked up several of them cheap that way.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23440111455...8AAOSwUlJh-DTK

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 02-06-2022, 10:29 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Buy 1/10th ounce coins.
The safest inexpensive gold coins are 1/10 ounce American Gold Eagles. Bid on them on EBay. I picked up several of them cheap that way.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23440111455...8AAOSwUlJh-DTK
that is a good point.

I mean if I can't get a full bar.....
Old 02-12-2022, 05:54 PM
Founding Member
Admimberistrator

There's a big Bitcoin giveaway contest during the Superbowl tomorrow. Except I need to figure out how to retweet the FTX commercial to enter. And I have no Twitter friends to Tweet to. And I'll probably be riding the fatbike and forget.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:51 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

There's a football game?
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523