COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 09-26-2021, 10:10 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I use some Wilson Combat lube that River gave me a year or so ago but, any good lube will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2021, 06:14 PM
COTEP Member

Update: 2nd round of diagnosis completed. I note the following:

1) The "elevated barrel" test (where I hand insert a round into the barrel and then turn it vertical) was successful with a live round, but only a live round. It failed with one of my snap caps (had to self extract with needle nose pliers) as well as an empty shell. Neither of those had the same weight as a full live round (obviously). In fact, because of that, I believe these snap caps I have (plastic) are worthless because they don't simulate the full weight of a live 5.56 62 gr round.

2) The current jam cleared once I pulled the charging handle with some extra force, and the plastic snap cap ejected. But I'm thinking there may be some damage to the upper now. See this picture and see the aluminum sheer on the lower inside of the upper tract. This pic, of course, is with the BCG and charging handle removed. Note the gas tube is in place and is covered by the key when in full battery.

3) I did some tests with the BCG. I maunally loaded both my snap cap and the empty shell into the barelhead and attempted to close the BCG manually and get it into battery. It would not lock all the way into battery when I tried this.

The following is the BCG in full "unlocked" position (ie. bolt head fully extended).

When I pushed the BCG in after hand loading any/all items, it would only go halfway into battery. Like so: (Now it's on its side, now).

After giving everything a light coat of oil and replacing the parts, I noticed that when I pushed the BCG in with nothing loaded, it went into full battery, as follows (this pic is with BCG and charging handle properly installed into the upper):

I then re-assembled the upper to the lower and tested the charging handle, etc, etc. with no rounds. It also went into full battery (I could observe the BCG through the ejection port). Thinking that the problems may be with the snap cap and empty shell, I then went ahead and loaded one live round from the mag. I pulled the charging handle, and it responded correctly, going into full battery. I then removed the mag, pulled the charging handle, and the loaded live round did eject properly.

Conclusions:

1) Maybe it did need a small coat of oil.
2) I need to buy new snap caps that actually have the full weight of a live 62gr round.
3) If I still have issues after the next round of test firing, then I'll have to look at the buffer and spring next, or replacing the entire upper/BCG asssembly.

More to follow. Thanks.

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 10-03-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:44 PM
COTEP Member

Looks like you are in the right track to figuring it out bud, staying tuned for updates.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:56 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Looks like you are in the right track to figuring it out bud, staying tuned for updates.

Next round of test firings coming either this week or next week. I will also be testing the RPR with my new Armegeddon "Schmedium" sized squeeze bag. I would say that the pic below is about 2/3s of its actual size.

Hopefully, it will work much better and keep me a lot steadier than the smaller bags with which I was working.

I will stay at 100 yards for a while, until I master it. Then I will take the Long Range 201 course and get beyond 100 yards.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 10-17-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:28 PM
COTEP Member

Looks like a nice bag.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:21 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Looks like a nice bag.

It is. And it worked like a charm as I was re-zeroing this morning at 100 yards. All but one shot in the black. Yay!

But that's not all. My friend got me out to 250yds at least twice this morning, without any dope and a minor elevation adjustment. I am, though, going a bit left, although my elevation is spot on, per what he said. I'll be working on it.

But that's not the biggest news.

The AR is now WORKING! YAAAAAAHOOOOOOOO! It cycles completely! It ran through a full mag without any problems. It seemed that all I needed was a little oil on it. I'll be sure to keep it cleaned and oiled now. Now, I can go ahead a zero it to 100 yards. I'm told by my friend that it's way left, so as soon as I get it on paper, I'll start to zero it in. I"m using a SFP scope for it so, hopefully, I hope that doesn't cause any issues.

The only thing left to fix on it is the bolt catch release button. I'm told that it's possible that I need to shave a little metal off so that it can catch properly. Apparently, the Anderson Lower spec is a little off. I'll get some pics up here so you can look at it.

But that aside, the build is in full op! Confidence totally built, at this point!

Thanks to all of you!

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 10-27-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:02 PM
COTEP Member

That’s great news on the AR! I guess I should of mentioned that they like to run wet. Remind me of the bolt lock issue? You shouldn’t have to shave anything to make it catch…?….

I’m glad the bag worked out for you. I ditched the bipod a year ago and never looked back. I find that the bag is more consistent for me to get back on target also for follow up shots.

I like to use the StelokPro app on my phone to get my scope adjustments at different distances. So far it’s been spot on. If it tells me I need 0.5 mils at 200 yds from my zero, it centers that shot in the 200 yds target every time (as long as I do my part). You can get the free version but the Pro gives you more flexibility and it’s a one time purchase (cheap too).

If you are zero’d at 100 and then shoot at 200 and you are hitting far left (without wind of course) then, something is off. You might have to true your scope reticle your your bore.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:05 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
That’s great news on the AR! I guess I should of mentioned that they like to run wet. Remind me of the bolt lock issue? You shouldn’t have to shave anything to make it catch…?….

Here are the pics I've taken:

The first is of the Bolt Catch when not extended (i.e. charging handle not pulled back.

You can see that it doesn't fully cover the impression hole in the lower. I think that's what Mike was referring to when he said it's not properly oriented over the lower hole. Either that, or the spring is really weak.

Here's another view:

And another from the opposite side (sorry a bit out of focus):

If I open the lower and look at the inside, I see this:

And when I try to pull back the catch, I get this:

And, finally, from the other side:

Quote:
I’m glad the bag worked out for you. I ditched the bipod a year ago and never looked back. I find that the bag is more consistent for me to get back on target also for follow up shots.

I still have my bipod I may get the device that lets me tighten it more, because it needs to be, but I'll keep the bag on the rear.

Quote:
I like to use the StelokPro app on my phone to get my scope adjustments at different distances. So far it’s been spot on. If it tells me I need 0.5 mils at 200 yds from my zero, it centers that shot in the 200 yds target every time (as long as I do my part). You can get the free version but the Pro gives you more flexibility and it’s a one time purchase (cheap too).

I'll look into it. Does it have a Kestrel hook up?

Quote:
If you are zero’d at 100 and then shoot at 200 and you are hitting far left (without wind of course) then, something is off. You might have to true your scope reticle your your bore.

It's zeroed at 100, but not yet "true." We'll be working on that during the Long Range 201 course. I'll take that after a bit of practice at 100 yds. I need to make my groups a lot tighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Old 10-29-2021, 11:12 AM
COTEP Member

One other Update: I just did another test with an empty PMAG-30. This, having had comments about it being the "follower" of an empty mag that causes the Bolt catch to engage. I put in an empty mag and pulled the charging handle. Lo and behold, it locked into place! But the slightest little jolt of the rifle would cause it to unlock and the handle/BCG to go back into battery. I can pull the charging handle back and it will lock into place, as long as I don't jolt the rifle. I can even drop the mag and will stay locked back. But not for long, as the slightest little bump will cause it to close. I guess the reason why it wouldn't lock back after firing the last round in the mag is that ejection jolt. When it is locked back, I can push the bolt catch release and it will close, normally.

So, that helps, a little in terms of diagnosis and repair. Either the spring is not enough to keep the bolt catch extended out when the handle is back, or something is off that it can't get a full catch... only a partial one.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 10-29-2021, 02:23 PM
COTEP Member

Default Building Confidence

Here are three of mine….

1. Phase5 extended bolt release

2. Strike Industries extended bolt release

3. Standard parts kit bolt release

All of these hold the bolt back with and without the mag in place and a couple of smacks to the lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lol

Last edited by Caleb; 10-29-2021 at 02:25 PM.