COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Okay...here goes

I have posted pics of my work across the inter web but never on this fine board, and never in a single place...sooooo..............

Here are a few builds from recent years.

First up. A Titanium framed CCO model in .38 Super. Caspian Ti Officer frame, Commander slide and Schuemann Barrel. Slide finished in IONBOND DLC

Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Here is it's brother in .45This one started as a Caspian Ti Officer frame and Colt Enhanced model Commander slide. Installed a Bar-Sto Bull barrel, hard fit then flush cut and given a polished 11 degree crown. EGW supported reverse plug with fluted FLGR, dished and cats tongue stippling on the end. High cut and Hand checkered the front strap at 30 LPI, bordered ...never, ever again in Titanium Also removed the series 80 roll marks. Gave the slide a carry bevel.

Other bits, rounded butt and stippled/serrated MSH, Wilson BP blued grip safety, my own custom Barstock rear sight cut from a block of 4140 as well as my own Gold bead front. Rear serrated at 50 lip to match. Ball mill cuts in my typical pattern (I really love the gold cup style rib!) EGW thumb safety given a custom profile. flattened and serrated front of trigger guard at 40 LPI.

Internally EGW Disco and Sear, with a CW TR cut, lightened and shortened EGW Solid trigger and a Wilson Stainless ultralight hammer tuned to a crisp 3.3~ pound break. Frame rails are tungsten Carbide coated by me (Hooray Travers Tools!)

Slide flats are polished to 2000 grit mirror and the slide is coated with IonBond Diamond Black, shows the metal prep very well. I was aiming for a true blended fit on the front and rear sight to the slide, incorporating the slide top rib. My next will be even better (building it as we speak).

Stocks are my own from 2x2 twill CF stock, "medium width" required custom tuning of the bushings which are individually numbered.

Now for pics, enjoy:

Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

This one is my Daily carry piece (off duty). A Titanium framed Officer model in .45.
his started as a Caspian Ti frame and Caspian Carbon steel GI slide. The slide was flat topped and you can see the ball mill cuts. I also did something a bit different on the inside, grit traps. The rear sight is the third sight I had made from 4340 barstock and had sent off with the slide to get ionbonded. The front sight started as a blank SDM, I turned down and mounted into it a 9 carat gold pin then blended it to the slide with boardering ball cuts. The rear of the slide was serrated at 50lpi with a matching extrctor and ejector. I finished the slide with a bead blasted rounds and bevels; and a 600 grit satin finish, then DLC black. The pictures don't do the finish justice!

The frame has carbidized rails and was deburred inside and out. I found that the magazine well was out of spec slightly and had to be massaged. The font of the trigger guard is serrated at 30lpi and the bottom was given a (purely cosmetic) ball cut. The MSH was blended to the frame and then stippled in a stinger pattern that terminates on the bottom of the MSH. The pad on the beavetal was also stippled and cut with a simple groove to compliment a high hold. The Beavertail started life as a Wilson BP stainless one and was shortened by a quarter inch and reprofiled slightly.

The thumb safety is an EGW that was reprofiled for easier carry and concealment. The Slide stop is the 10-8 Gen 2. Barrel is a Wislon combat Forged stainless barrel with an 11 degree crown. The trigger is a 10-8 flat triger that has been internally lightened and the bw drilled and polished. Mated to an EGW hard sear and Harris Design trigger and Diso. the sear was given CW's True Radius on the nose and the pull breaks at a smooth, but snappy 3.5 lbs. I also used the EGW flat wire set-up with an eared Reverse plug. I luted the Guide rod, mainly cause it looks cool.

As for the Mag release. It is an EGW HD stainless that was cratered then given a "cat's tongue" finish reminiscient of the old Gerber Mark II handles. The tera drop thumb relief on the frame is a shout out to Gary Smith at Caspian, he knows why :mrgreen:

Finishing it all off is the set of Carbon Fiber thin grips I made using CF from Dave Erickson, thanks again Dave.

And now for the pictures:

Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

This one was done for a friend and fellow CPO. He had an early 90's stainless steel 1991A1. He didn't particularly like the gi grip safety, the trigger or the front and rear gi sights. He also wanted a match barrel installed, and the pistol tuned for reliability. Here is the build details:

S&A Beavertail safety
Hgh cut under trigger
Serrate rear of slide 40LPI
Custom MSH/Round butt
Replace cast internals with Tool steel
Wilson Ultralight hammer
C&S Sear and discoReprofile Slide Stop (3.5 pound let off with CW TR)
Polish stainless pins
Bevel mag well
Wilson Match Barrel and bushing
10-8 Rear U notch site (GI cut)
Staked gold bead front (my own)
Greider Medium LOP solid trigger
Debur inside, polish series 80 saftey parts
Polish Sides to Brushed stainless look
Bead blast the rest to 120 grit glass bead.
light carry bevel to all sharp edges, lines straightened.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

I like the 2nd 1911 how long did it take you to do it????????????

Keep the pics coming please.............

Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

More to follow.

Each build takes a few weeks once all the parts are in one place. Hours on each fitting process and the sights are a whole nother story...cause I make them from Barstock in house. The IONBOND I have to send out, so that adds a few weeks (6-8 usually). I do my own Rust bluing as well and that takes about 3 days.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

nicely done

heh. I have always dreamed about having a combo gun

1 frame 5 slides and barrels

22 lr
9mm
super 38
10mm
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Founding Member