COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 02-10-2017, 01:01 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Second batch started much better with the airsoft bbs. All they had was the red ones. Gave a much improved coating. The parchment paper didn't work out so well. I think the thermostat on my cheap oven got a little too high. Melted a couple bullets and the parchment burnt up. Next trip to Publix will get non stick foil. Had to pull them out a couple minutes early but the ones that didn't melt look better.
yeah, cheap to mid priced toaster ovens are notorious for never being accurate temperature wise. it was suggest to me that I either spend even more coin on a convection oven or buy a cheap oven thermometer. I opted for the thermometer.

before I got non stick foil i'd just stand the boolits on their bases. after they were done cooking but before they were fully cooled I could usually break them from the foil before it was fully stuck. on the ones where the foil did stick I figured it would act like a mini gas check lol.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 PM
COTEP Member

These were coated twice and sized but the second coat with the air soft bb's was so thick that I probably won't need to do two coats next time. Some of the ones that got too hot in the last batch had some deformity at the base that when pushed through the sizing due were not usable at all. Chucked those into the melting pot. I read up on the gas check issue. I was thinking the gas check was to necessary to keep the end of the bullet from melting under hotter loads and powder coating would eliminate the need for the gas check. Wrong. The gas check essentially seals the gaps around the bullet that gas could escape from. So powder coating wouldn't matter if the load was hot enough to require a gas check. For now I won't have any loads that would require a gas check so no need to mess with it. I am happy that powder coated bullets will act like jacketed bullets in the large majority of my loads.

Thanks again for your insight and experience!
Old 02-12-2017, 11:20 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

your boolits look good! glad I could help!

now it's time to go shooting. let us know how they do.