COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 03-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Okay, I watched some more videos and I know what checking powder means. My understanding is you put powder into a primed case and then dump the powder out into a scale to make sure that you have a consistent measurement. You do this about 5 to 10 times and measure the grains. If there is consistency in the measurements you proceeded to load, or continue loading . Am I correct?
Correct.

Everyone does a different number based on experience and faith in the system. for 45 I am 1 per 100 round checker. Depending on the type of scale you use you just put on measure tray to make sure its in check.
I started with a beam scale and it was slower, but more accurate but drove me kind of crazy waiting for the balancing act. So I purchased a really nice digital scale.

When I am loading I just pull a case off the plate every 100ish check the weight. If its good pour the powder back in put it back on the plate and carry on. If its off I check the next few and maybe have to adjust. Don't have to tweak very often I am lucky mine is so good.

Example: You are loading 45acp 230gr....you are using Win231 (great for target rounds) You are set for 5gr. You measure a load and its 4.9...your good. You measure a round at 5.1 your good, I like to stay within .2 of my desired set gr. But you could be a bit looser for target loads.
If you are loading HOT with same round I think the max is someplace around 5.8-6.0 depending on what book you read then you might have a tighter tolerance for play. maybe .1ish. I hope you get the idea.

You will love reloading!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Thank you guys. I plan to reload only for 45 ACP, and possibly 9 millimeter. My only rifle is a Ruger 10/22 Takedown so no reloading there.
Then look at the Dillon Square Deal. Perfect for pistol. Only downside is you have to use the special dies
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 03-10-2017, 09:42 PM
COTEP Member

Is the factory crimp die a must?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
No. I use it on my Lee 4 hole turret, but I seat and crimp in separate steps
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
for straight walled cartridges no, but its a good idea. I do crimp...I would bet most guys do?

But not necessary although some guys might not agree with that opinion.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Then look at the Dillon Square Deal. Perfect for pistol. Only downside is you have to use the special dies
Yep, the only downside. This was the last factor on me passing on this one and going up to the 650. Dillon dies are really nice too,but the SD dies are not usable in anything else, but all other dies work in most every press out there with the 7/8"set.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:58 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
After doing some very quick research, I was watching videos of the Lee turret press that has Auto indexing. It seems like a very nice beginner set-up, the kit comes with a lot of goodies necessary to reload, and only a set of appropriate dies will be needed to get started. About 250 rds per hour once familiar with it. Of course I need a tumbler and other tools are not part of the press kit but that's fine. What you all think?
The only suggestion I would make, and this is purely my opinion, is to invest in a decent digital scale. Frankford Arsenal makes a decent one for about $70 that is very accurate and has a quick response time.

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:09 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
The only suggestion I would make, and this is purely my opinion, is to invest in a decent digital scale. Frankford Arsenal makes a decent one for about $70 that is very accurate and has a quick response time.
Thanks Mike
Old 03-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

OOoo, Oooo! I've got 2 cents!

So here goes... I have an RCBS Rock Chucker and a Dillon RL550B and love them both. I retired my old Pacific Precision a few years back due to enough post wear to cause repeated decapping pin breakage. Oh yeah and a MEC 650 for shotgun 12GA.

The RCBS does the long stuff and high accuracy rounds. The 550 does all the handgun (9mm, 38/357, 45acp) and 556. Has it been flawless no, but dillon service ABSOLUTELY. I bought it used and had some issues with it. I called Dillon service and they talked through troubleshooting. I ended up needing a couple of small parts totaling maybe $20-$25 bucks. A shoe cup, spring arm pin little crap and yes the nasty little plastic primer boot. While troubleshooting I broke the primer catch cup. In my parts shipment was a new catch cup and 2 sets of primer boots and a complete tune up kit for free.
The tech said Dillon feels that they make the finest reloading systems on the market. That being said, they are mechanical devices. If your service and customer support doesn't match your product then what good are you. Something to think about.
I've been eyeing the 650 for a while now, I ran into these guys in Reno a few years back. Haven't been able to beat their prices yet.

http://www.scheels.com/shop/scheels-...ze:&pageTop:0&

To be honest I have heard good and bad about all of them, in the end ya gotta find what works for you.

COTEP 439
Old 03-11-2017, 12:40 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajO View Post
I have read the above posts and in a sacrificing frame of mind I offer the following solution to the high coast of a progressive set up.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/...for-big-bucks/

Good luck and let the bidding begin.

Thanks to and Chris, they made excellent points about the advantages of a single stage press for long cartridges (rifle) and or accuracy. They are perfect for just that.