COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 03-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFadda View Post
AND...... for you folks with really deep pockets.... No 650 or 1050 is truly complete without this add on from Ponsness/Warren. It's only $950... just a house payment... or a case of really good wine... scroll down the link to watch the video.... ... you're gonna drool over this one!

https://www.reloaders.com/products/d...650-auto-drive
OMG...., we NEED this. So awesome, tell you what you buy one I will try it out and make sure it works right and then I will send it to you.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

I hear ya padre on the initial cost of the set up. But that being said, what is your time worth? Not you persay as you're retired. But let's say mine. My free time is starts at $50 hr. Now, that being said, why would I want to waste my time and money doing the same thing over and over again?

We drop serious coin on our rifles and pistols, so why not into reloading equipment? That always baffles me.

I'm still a firm believer in buy once, cry once. Wish I would've Known that statement years ago and bought the Dillon and not the RCBS.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:27 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I have to agree with here I don't get a lot free time these days. With kid, wifes super busy career me working crazy hours i like to give my free time to jr when i can. On my days off besides house chores i like to bike and shoot of course.

I am not saying nobody else has a crazy life no matter what age you are but if i can reload at a faster pace and still put out a good boolit then its a win win. Guys will drop 2k on a gun or whatever but reloading that saves money they don't like.

I only had to pony up half of my set up as my dad gifted me half so I could afford the set up of my wet dreams. If for not him I would still be on a single stage. Although with the time it takes to do a couple thousand rounds I probably would have stopped reloading until i had the time again years down the road.

I think it really depends on your time allotment you can give to a certain hobby. If i would have to give up reloading now it would kill me. Just great fun.

I do have to admit one thing the single stage purchase that got me started i now feel was not worth it. I knew back then I would get a progressive of some sort someday i do wish I would have not purchased it and gone big right off. My lee set up was excellent and worked like a champ but just should of been more patient.

Last edited by sdmc530; 03-13-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:37 PM
COTEP Member

I am not sold on loading dirty brass.

Just sayin.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:44 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Bumped today 3/13/17 to show my reloading routine.
Awesome. Lee 4 hole turret seems to be winning in my eyes and for what I need it for. Thanks Padre
Old 03-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I am not sold on loading dirty brass.

Just sayin.
Me neither. It takes little effort to clean brass and in a progressive I think it's critical. Keeps press clean and you only handle the brass once so you need to inspect them well. I clean every case and inspect every case. Might be my ocd kicking in though.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
Me neither. It takes little effort to clean brass and in a progressive I think it's critical. Keeps press clean and you only handle the brass once so you need to inspect them well. I clean every case and inspect every case. Might be my ocd kicking in though.
I'm thinking the only thing dirty that you cannot get to is the primer area. Tumble the cases with the spent primer intact, then start the process? I think Gatorade checks and cleans each of his primer pockets. Perfect time to check for small primer pockets in 45. But I have a question... I believe you load primarily 45 acp. What happens when a small primer case slips through? Does it jam up the machine? just crushes the new primer? spills powder? Nothing? Serious question because I just don't know.

Michael
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
I'm thinking the only thing dirty that you cannot get to is the primer area. Tumble the cases with the spent primer intact, then start the process? I think Gatorade checks and cleans each of his primer pockets. Perfect time to check for small primer pockets in 45. But I have a question... I believe you load primarily 45 acp. What happens when a small primer case slips through? Does it jam up the machine? just crushes the new primer? spills powder? Nothing? Serious question because I just don't know.

Michael

I do tumble with the old primer in, its too big of a pain to clean out primer pockets. Learned that the hard way. I tumble in media and a bit of NuFinish car wax in and tadaa clean brass.

Every once in a while I do get a small primer mixed in. When cycling the press It will size, deprime and bell the case just fine. But when you try to prime a small primer case it will just abruptly stop the process. So all you do is remove the case and keep going its really no big deal. its a show stopper but not really a big deal.

I plan on making a video soon, was going to this morning but water heater stopped being hot so new install is this morning.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:59 AM
COTEP Member

GREAT thread Gents !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
GREAT thread Gents !!
Agreed