COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 PM
COTEP Member

Default Do you know how many times can you- - -

“tap” someone in one second with either or both hands while defending yourself?

How many times can you cut someone with a blade in one second while defending yourself with either or both hands?

How many times can you shoot someone in one second staying COM from 3 yrds, not including the draw? Ever been timed to know what your “splits” are?

How fast is your draw stroke/speed from concealed? From open carry? Ever been timed?

How many times can you hit someone with a stick, using either or both hands together?

Does hand speed matter to you?

If so, why? If not, why not?

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brownie For This Useful Post:
Barbie (08-07-2014), milkmanjoe (08-07-2014), Rick McC. (12-28-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp (who lived to 80)

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 08-06-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:40 AM
COTEP Member

Never checked but very good question
Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

I don't want to be close enough to anyone who can cut me. speed matters...I can draw, fire twice in 2 seconds....

I practice a lot!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:13 AM
COTEP Member

I don't use a timer, but I think I can unload a G17, from crotch on target to skull, in under 6 secs. You might know my time better, Brownie.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:42 AM
COTEP Member

Drawing from OWB (open carry) one shot COM in 1.24 (or was it 1.34?). That was a couple of years ago. Have not been timed for 2 shots or from IWB (concealed) draw.

Last edited by LittleGator; 08-07-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:42 PM
COTEP Member

Not timed with knives. I know I had it slapped out fast last time I tried to practice Held it better later but still slow. I've always thought it's not worth to time it if you are too slow to count for anything and I’m slow.

Shooting, timed IWB OC (garments out of the way), best was first at 1.36, 6 under 2 secs COM to head. Drill with only 6 rounds. Fully covered… pff… first between 1.96-2.30 … all this more than a year ago… so totally not valid. For me speed is a very perishable skill. You don’t practice, you lose it.

But... real life... a lot have to do with reaction time and while the best average would be .25 (?) (human reaction to action-not drawing time), mine is really not close to that… and I would dare to say most people around the street go with minds somewhere else… so that adds up to much more… So my question to you, Brownie…. How important is timing when it is done under special conditions? When you are timed you are hyped for the buzz…. (It is like walking in a dangerous situation fully knowing what you are getting into). There is a surprise factor but you are half there already. At least for me, who trains for self-defense situations and not competitions nor professional responses, it’s a little senseless. Does it really give you useful information? If so… what information?

eta: when I said "Does it really give you useful information?" I did not mean "you" but anybody...like me
"The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."
COTEP#CBOB0760
Old 08-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

I'm old. I'm slower. I can still catch a fly in the air, a snake behind the head before it strikes, or a boob before I'm slapped
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
I don't use a timer, but I think I can unload a G17, from crotch on target to skull, in under 6 secs. You might know my time better, Brownie.
I would guess you can unload a g17 in 4.5 seconds. 6 seconds is less that 3 rounds per second, you're trigger speed is faster than that Joe.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:58 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
I don't want to be close enough to anyone who can cut me. speed matters...I can draw, fire twice in 2 seconds....

I practice a lot!
I'm timed at .43 seconds to the first shot from the holster open carried and .88-.94 from concealed to first shot. Splits run .14 [ on a good day ] to .20 seconds. That's 4-5 rounds a second running the trigger of either a G17 [ or any ] or a 1911. I might get another round per second with the shooter 1911 trigger weight.

The above from 6 feet using WW2 1/2 hip. This skill can be used out to 10-12 feet when you own the skill.

Closed Thread