COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger

Old 09-08-2014, 11:08 AM
COTEP Member

Default Hope this is in the right place

If not mods, can you please move to the right place.

The difference between games and defensive training
http://www.funker530.com/sniper-dodges-bullet/

One quick video that explains the proper use of cover and concealment.
Never extend a gun barrel, through around or over cover/concealment. It exposes your position. This guy got lucky this time.

In IDPA, IPSC and 3- gun this is done often.
I am always asked why I don't shoot the games to teach the games. This is why, it ingrains bad habits for proper defensive use of a firearm.

Let the railing begin.
- Samuel Adams
Old 09-08-2014, 01:05 PM
COTEP Member

I've said it before and I'll echo it. I'm not a fan of the weekend matches. For me learning from instructors that I have researched and that I trust, is paramount. I always leave classes with new skills, the reason(s) behind those skills, and practice drills to hone those skills. I only punch paper as a social event or to function check a firearm. When I practice it is always in a self defense thought process. However, I do admit that I am uniquely lucky, having my own land to shoot on affords me the freedom to practice what I learn.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Founding Member

I enjoy IDPA and shoot a lot of matches, But I take my training to IDPA matches.

Never jam myself close to cover, keep my distance as pieing the corner, stand back from windows and doors. A added bonus during a match it saves on taking more steps then needed.

I admit that these matches can bring on bad habits that will get you hurt or killed in the real world.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

I agree that the games are games. The other thing is there are a lot of people who have never drawn from a holster. As you well know there is much more to it then most people think. The games are good practice for the draw, trigger control, time/pressure and gun control. I don't think the games replace good training. IMHO they are much better than standing still blowing holes in paper at 7 yards.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 09-09-2014, 08:52 AM
COTEP Member

Agreed Sheepdog, I was only pointing out the difference....
- Samuel Adams
Old 09-09-2014, 09:20 AM
COTEP Member

I ran in the games for a time back in the late 90's, early 21st century. Plate shoots, a few local/regional IPSC/IDPA types etc.

Great for gun handling skills, bad on the tactics. I continued to attend plate shoots for years but dropped out of the games as I worked the streets and would not allow bad habits to be ingrained due to the games.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"