COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 12-17-2021, 11:07 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
Quick Question: What are you all recommending for "Frangible 5.56?" If I'm going to put either this build or "Build #2 (comming in 2022) into the HD plan, I'm not going to be able to use "Green Tip" for that So, I'm looking for some good Frangible 5.56 that will get the job done without overdoing it.

Any recommendations?
What do you mean by "HD plan?" Home Defense? If so, you don't need frangible. Get good hollow point ammo and stay with 55 grain.
We did some extensive testing on .223/5.56 ammo when we switched from the MP5's to M4's. Everyone was afraid of over penetration.
What we learned, and it's going to sound counter intuitive, is the 9mm was over penetrating, more than the 5.56.
The heavier 9mm was plowing through 2 X 4's, sheet rock and many obstacles, while the lighter .223 was more susceptible to deflection as well as slowing down and being stopped by solid obstacles.
If you were to fire a 9 vs 5.56 outside then yes, the 5.56 would go farther. What we discovered, and this was supported by the sate AG's office as well, within most interiors the 9mm was penetrating more than the .223/5.56.

Now me personally, I have handguns for home defense, but my go to is a pistol caliber carbine, a HK USC. It's loaded with Federal 230 grain Hydroshoks.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:46 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
What do you mean by "HD plan?" Home Defense? If so, you don't need frangible. Get good hollow point ammo and stay with 55 grain.
We did some extensive testing on .223/5.56 ammo when we switched from the MP5's to M4's. Everyone was afraid of over penetration.
What we learned, and it's going to sound counter intuitive, is the 9mm was over penetrating, more than the 5.56.
The heavier 9mm was plowing through 2 X 4's, sheet rock and many obstacles, while the lighter .223 was more susceptible to deflection as well as slowing down and being stopped by solid obstacles.

Now me personally, I have handguns for home defense, but my go to is a pistol caliber carbine, a HK USC. It's loaded with Federal 230 grain Hydroshoks.
My 5.56 load is 55 grain soft points made for varmint hunting. No worries about overpenetration with those.
But that's for exterior home defense, not for indoor home defense. For indoors I have a 45 ACP Hi-Point carbine loaded with 230 grain XTPs.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 12-17-2021, 02:38 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

Jake and I shot one round of 5.56 at our backyard backstop. It went through a 4x4 post, a pine tree, and took off through the scrub to parts unknown. And it was a hollowpoint. Just sayin...
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 12-17-2021, 02:45 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Jake and I shot one round of 5.56 at our backyard backstop. It went through a 4x4 post, a pine tree, and took off through the scrub to parts unknown. And it was a hollowpoint. Just sayin...
Never said they wouldn't penetrate. Just the odds were better than a 9 coming out of carbine.
Also, I forgot to add, I don't believe frangible was designed for self defense. More for using in indoor ranges and/or on steel. Also, lead free.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:00 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Hollowpoints need soft tissue to expand. I had a Sierra 165 gr hollow point boat tail go through a tree and kill a deer on the other side of the tree. The deer was moving and stepped behind the tree trunk just as I pulled the trigger. I centered the tree trunk and the bullet went straight through and then flew true another 20 yards before hitting the deer. I found the bullet hole. A soft point would have expanded inside the tree and disintegrated.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 12-17-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:15 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Never said they wouldn't penetrate. Just the odds were better than a 9 coming out of carbine.
Also, I forgot to add, I don't believe frangible was designed for self defense. More for using in indoor ranges and/or on steel. Also, lead free.

I do currently use 9mm Hydrashok JHPs for my EDC pistol (P365). And they will still stay in the HD plan. I'm just wanting to add one of my AR's to that plan. I live in a small 1130 Sq ft. 3bd/2br with block & stucco outer walls. And my neighbors' houses are less than 20ft. away from mine. I'm a lot worried about penetration and would prefer frangible for 5.56.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Hollowpoints need soft tissue to expand. I had a Sierra 165 gr hollow point boat tail go through a tree and kill a deer on the other side of the tree. The deer was moving and stepped behind the tree trunk just as I pulled the trigger. I centered the tree trunk and the bullet went straight through and then flew true another 20 yards before hitting the deer. I found the bullet hole. A soft point would have expanded inside the tree and disintegrated.

I'll check them out but I think, in the end, I'll go with some kind of frangible 5.56.

Thanks all!
Old 12-17-2021, 08:22 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Hey bud, sorry for being out of touch lately.

I’m glad you were able to get the AR to 100%. Now that you have experience building and troubleshooting this platform, your second one will be as easy as on his first date.
Bad Omen....

Quote:
I can’t imagine learning to shoot precision shots with my off hand, but you have to do what you have to do. Work on your fundamentals before every shot at first and you will eventually just do it properly unconsciously. Remember, don’t death grip the grip. A light touch with focus on the trigger finger is all that’s needed. Your shoulder and either bag or bipod will hold the gun steady.

It's more my left eye than the hand. I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. I'm actually zeroed-in at 100 yards, even using the left eye. But I have much more practice to do. I think more so with controlling the rear bag sufficiently so that the scope lands where it needs to. Once I get that down, I'll pop for the 2nd Long Range course at JTAC.

Quote:
I don’t know anything about frangible ammo, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sweat. But thanks anyway. I'm just going to have to remember everything I've learned. I'll probably start the 2nd build in early February.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:40 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Btw..I caught a 7 day Facebook ban over your FedEx porch post you are a BAD influence on me, Island Minion
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 12-17-2021, 09:24 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Btw..I caught a 7 day Facebook ban over your FedEx porch post you are a BAD influence on me, Island Minion
Sorry.

Last edited by BlackKnight; 12-17-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
You haven't been banned permanently yet???

- George Orwell