COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Product Reviews

Old 06-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Frog lube initial review

Well, I had been reading about Frog Lube for a couple of months and just a while back it showed up in threads on the "big forum". It seemed like the Frog Lube threads went down hill quick with bickering, as a lot of threads do, so I thought I would post my progress and future updates here for you guys/gals instead of in the "Lions Den".

I'll start by saying that for the past couple of years I have been using FP-10 on all of my pistols. It did what it was supposed to and I have no complaints.

I did have an incident with my CBOB back in the early spring. I was at the range one day and had my slide sieze up on me. It freaked me out a little because I always have a lot of lube on my rails. I always make sure my pistols aren't dry before I shoot them. I diagnosed (opinion only) that my pistol was fitted so tight that the rails were "plowing" the lube off the pistol. It was during an extended shooting session and I didn't think (yeah, I know, there's my mistake right there!) to stop and re-lube.

I had another forum member guide me through and help me loosen my slide to frame fit with files and stones. I cleaned the pistol very well, re-lubed and shot it. Absolutely no "damage" to accuracy, at least in my hands. Still VERY accurate shooter.

So, that's one of the reasons I went for the Frog Lube. You can read some of it's lubrication claims (some of them seem like an infomercial, a la Billy Mays). I'ts not supposed to "dry up" like oil will. I know, I could use grease.

First pistol I used it on was my Springfield GI.

You're supposed to clean the pistol of Petro based products before applying the Frog Lube and warm the metal. So, I detail stripped it, used non-chlorinated brake cleaner on it and set it out in the sun. It got warm alright!

When I applied the FL (I'm getting tired of typing "frog lube"), the parkerizing soaked it up like a sponge. I did all of the small parts too. Followed the directions to a "T".

I shot 300 rounds through it the next day without any problems and cleaning afterwards consisted of just wiping the gun down with the towel they send with the kit. I was impressed. Sorry didn't get any pictures.

I figured since it worked good on the GI, I would try it on the CBOB.

Again, I detail stripped it, brake cleaner-ed it, and set it in the sun to bake. I'll just say now that the stainless parts got much hotter in the sun
I shot the CBOB two days ago with the new FL on it and it worked great. Clean up was a breeze too.

I decided to use it on my Delta Elite too so today I did the strip and clean but it was cloudy here so I put all of the parts on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven. 170 degrees is as low as my electric oven will go and yeah, they come out hotter than you want to touch

Like I said I'm pretty happy with the new "wonder lube" so far. I'm hoping it does as well as advertised on rust prevention because I have a bunch of places on the GI where the parkerizing is worn off and my frame tangs are bare metal after I filed them down for the new beavertail. I'll let y'all know how things go and I'll try to remember to take "dirty" pictures and update with good, bad, or ugly developments.

Take care,

Terry

Government name- Terry
Old 06-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanks Terry. Great write up.
NRA Member
:stand:
Old 06-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Look forward to hearing more... man, thats a lot of parts!

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar
Old 06-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I tell you what , after you strip three pistols in less than two weeks, they go back together faster. I did fumble with the sear and disconnector a little. The lube made them so slick that I had a hard time keeping them lined up together to re-install. I figured out a trick though.

I'll let y'all know how it goes, good or bad. I hope not bad.

Government name- Terry
Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

How's it compare with Ol' Panther Piss Lube?

I might have to try it out sometime.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Man, I could never get the taste of PPL out of my mouth after I put a chew in!

Government name- Terry
Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I might have to check out the Frog lube. I just recently bought me some Wilson Combat Ultima lube II (Universal) and it seams to work pretty nice it's not real thick like grease but a lot better than regular oils that run and dry up.

Have you ever tried any of the Wilson Combat Lubes and if you have how does it seem to compare to the Frog lube? It kind of sounds similar.

Thanks again for the post.

-Ryan S
2010 DW SS RZ-45 Heritage, 2011 DW SS Valor Bobtail (V-BOB), 2010 DW CCO, 2012 DW ECO, Sig Sauer P238 SAS edition, Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion (5in barrel), Kahr P380, ,Kahr PM9->Black Diamond coat-Night sights, Daniel Defense DDM4 V4, LMT308MWS, and a FN SCAR 17 "Heavy".
COTEP # CCO0488
God Bless Our Troops
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

No Ryan, I've never tried the Wilson Combat lube. I'm getting ready to head to the range in a little while. I'll take pictures of dirty guns and wiped clean guns and post them.

Government name- Terry
Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanks for the write-up Terry.
COTEP #0443 USMC #0311
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." ~Robert E Lee
“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.” ~Dante Alighieri
Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Sweet can't wait for the pics.

Thanks,

-Ryan S
2010 DW SS RZ-45 Heritage, 2011 DW SS Valor Bobtail (V-BOB), 2010 DW CCO, 2012 DW ECO, Sig Sauer P238 SAS edition, Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion (5in barrel), Kahr P380, ,Kahr PM9->Black Diamond coat-Night sights, Daniel Defense DDM4 V4, LMT308MWS, and a FN SCAR 17 "Heavy".
COTEP # CCO0488
God Bless Our Troops