COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 07-13-2014, 10:16 AM
COTEP Member

Now I know where the ammo is at .

Arley
RIA 1911 .45 - 2 FM 9s M90 & M95- DPMS AR 15 Lower with PSA Upper SS 16 " - Rossi " Gallery " Remi 34 - Cimarron " El Malo 357 SA & assorted others - Leather worker - "Sorcerer Leather Works - Knife maker "B.A.D. BLADES

Desperta Ferro
Old 04-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

My New "Office".... When Grace and I decided to relocate to Tennessee, we got a 3 bedroom home, mostly because we knew we would not have a basement. "The Deal".... she gets to make all the decisions on "most" of the house, and I got the bonus room upstairs for a mancave, and one bedroom on the first floor as my "shop." I also got the garage, but that's not even close to being usable yet. So... without further commentary... Here's some pics of the new shop.

The first has become my mantra... There are no accidents with firearms. Only negligence. And so... the Three Stooges... The bench is my cleaning bench, Grace bought it for me for Christmas. All stainless, 48" long. Purchased at Lowes.

Second shot is the reloading section of the room. I'm still using my Lee Classic Turret in "batch" mode. By mounting it higher on the shelving I have an almost straight view to the round being created, and the length of pull on the handle is just about perfect for me. The lower cabinet was an unfinished 5' sink cabinet that I got on sale at Lowes. A couple coats of golden oak and some poly... I'm good. The counter is 8 feet of Wilsonart laminate. I only wanted 6', but Lowes only had the 8 footers.... so they offered to bring a 6' in for me. I countered with "why don't you just sell me the 8 footer for the 6' price? The manager said "mmmm sure. ok. we can do that."

Third shot is the storage part of the room. Hey, gotta put the stuff I create SOMEWHERE!

And of course... anyone coming to the house can't see the closet. All they can see if they glance into the room is my Bear head (1978, Plattsburgh NY. 265# sow), some nice looking shelves and my NRA instructor certificate.

Well... that's it for this post. How are your reloading areas coming along? Post a recent picture!

Dafadda
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.

Last edited by DaFadda; 04-04-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

looking good. The a/c in my metal reloading shed went t*ts up. No loading for now
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 04-04-2015, 07:45 PM
COTEP Member

I am moving this week but the general area is set up. Craftsman bench and a couple upright cabinets on either side not home right now so no pics and it is filled with junk getting sorted from the move. I will get pics when I can to show progress.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 PM
COTEP Member

Still getting sorted out. The buckets have a different caliber brass in each. Sad part is I have buckets of brass that I don't have dies for! Also going to be where I am pouring cast bullets as well. I didn't want to drill into the bench top so I mounted the press to a 2X4 and I clamp that to the bench as needed.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Default What to do with an old drill press stand...

Found this buried in the garage when I made the move to Tennessee. It used to be for a 16" drill press that I've since "gotten gone". Now that we're in our new home, our mantra is "Use it... or Lose it!" Fact is... we have no room for things we don't use. And so....

A New Loading bench!

The top of the stand is 12 x24, the legs flare out for stability. I think most o us have seen this before. On top of the stand, I used two 18 x 36 pieces of glued up pine (Lowes 7.50 each)... glued and screwed them together to create a 1.5" thick top.

On top of the pine workspace, I placed a Berry's Manufacturing reloading riser. Lists for $140 or so on Berry's site, but I picked this up at the NRA convention on the last day of the show. Berry's didn't want to haul this puppy home. So I did for half price. The riser is built extremely well, with all holes drilled properly EXCEPT the holes for your press. Because there are so many differences in hole placement based on your press, they have you drill it out for yourself. The stand is heavy aluminum, and drilled out easily.

What's installed? The Lee Classic 4 hole turret press (which I use in batch mode), a RCBS powder thrower with a micrometer adjuster and my first RCBS Rock Chucker.

Stand: Free (but originally about $30 at Sears, Lowes or Home Depot). To purchase today from Sears: $41

Riser: Retail at 140, bought at the convention for $70

Bench top: $15

More shelf space and comfortable reloading: Priceless.

Da
SA Micro Compact

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Looking great guys!!

I just sold the majority of my reloading equipment with the exception of my RCBS RockChucker. I still use that to reload for my AutoMag.

I could not see the point for me at least to reload any longer when I can get factory ammo for way less than I can reload for. I had a great time when I did reload but someone else wanted my Dillon RL550B more that I did so off it went!! I really cannot say that I even miss reloading at all. More time now to shoot!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Nice set up sir! I wouldn't reload either John if I could get it cheaper anytime I needed it. Lucky bugger!!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
Nice set up sir! I wouldn't reload either John if I could get it cheaper anytime I needed it. Lucky bugger!!
, lately I have not been able to get enough!! The customers come before us lowly employees!!!!

Mike, where did you get the DeSantis counter mat??

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 04-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

wow John, you noticed!!! The DeSantis counter mat was given to me by a LGS that went out of business. I have two. I met MR. DeSantis at the NRA convention, and offered him one of them if he wanted it, since the mold has been destroyed. He has one in his possession and is looking for a vendor to reproduce them. I suggested he talk to the guys at Hogue, since I got 10 of their hogue mats while walking around the convention!
SA Micro Compact