COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > News and Politics

Old 04-04-2017, 02:45 PM
COTEP Member

Default HD shooting for "taking as shower?" Shooter Arested

Fox News: Washington St. Resident Arrested after shooting an intruder that was "taking a shower" in shooter's home...

It would seem that the crux will be surrounding the Washington state "Castle Doctrine" laws, assuming there are any. Some are arguing on other FL 2A forums that if this had happened in FL, the "presumption" of "fear of life/great bodily harm" exists, per FL's Castle doctrine statute, and would justify the use of deadly force in this case, even though the shooter left the house, came back with a gun and then shot the intruder without contacting the police. Others argue that the FL castle doctrine does not extend that far, and that the defendant would be very hard pressed to justify said actions to a FL jury, as it seems this gentleman will have with a Washington Jury.

<popcorn>
Old 04-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Well I am all about protecting your home and family BUT as soon as he fled and returned without calling any LEO then shot and killed the guy, sorry that is no longer protection. I would say this guy is hosed I hope he enjoys jail, he certainly deserves it. What an idiot! Gives gun owners and proper gun users a black eye here.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:22 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
Well I am all about protecting your home and family BUT as soon as he fled and returned without calling any LEO then shot and killed the guy, sorry that is no longer protection. I would say this guy is hosed I hope he enjoys jail, he certainly deserves it. What an idiot! Gives gun owners and proper gun users a black eye here.
Agreed. And I don't think even FL castle doctrine would protect him here, either, for the same reasons. Once he left and then returned armed, he became the aggressor.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Dumbass shoulda used a grenade
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 04-04-2017, 03:58 PM
COTEP Member

Well first I wouldn't have gone to check on the other house without my gun in the first place. If I had seen that someone was in one of my properties and I was going to confront them I would want to get my gun if I had left it at my home. On the way to getting it I would have called the cops, then, depending on how long I perceived the response time would be and if too long I may try to confront. I think that is justified up to that point. Now putting 4 shots through the shower curtain without verifying the person on the other side is a threat is where this guy went wrong. All that being said there is some definite spin going on in that article. Sounds like the "compassionate educator" employed by the local elementary school has some screws loose, possibly a perv who gets off breaking into people homes and using their showers and who knows what else. Maybe he didn't deserve to die but at least he isn't around kids anymore.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
On the way to getting it I would have called the cops, then, depending on how long I perceived the response time would be and if too long I may try to confront. I think that is justified up to that point.
Now don't take this as starting anything because I RESPECT everyone's opinion here but I think you are still in the wrong here. After you call the cops and there is no initial threat I don't think you have any basis to to go back and confront the guy. I think you stand back and watch. Now all this assuming no family is in the house and you have no current actual threat to your own life. I think going back to confront is a really bad idea that just opens yourself up to issues legally and to your health.

In this case he was in the shower and maybe drunk so unless he starts after you I am not sure how dangerous he is AND neither do you going back in. I would have called on duty LEO and watched and observed from a safe but reasonable distance to protect my home. Going back in is the issue here, you are out, your family is out and the guy is in your bathroom. Nothing good can come from re-entering the house without the police.

Lawyers will eat this up I am sure.

I am going to ask one of our prosecuting attorneys and see what he says. We have the same type law here to protect your "castle".
Old 04-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Yeah, the "compassionate educator" baloney raised red flags for me too.

And you know that with self defense cases, the media never gets the story right initially.

We had one here in which the lawyer for the shooter worked in the same office building as I did. He told me that what happened wasn't at all what was being reported. The media had the guy painted as a heartless monster that chased down an unarmed boy and gunned him down in cold blood while the boy was begging for his life.

When the facts came out...CASE DISMISSED

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 04-04-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:18 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Now don't take this as starting anything because I RESPECT everyone's opinion here but I think you are still in the wrong here. After you call the cops and there is no initial threat I don't think you have any basis to to go back and confront the guy. I think you stand back and watch. Now all this assuming no family is in the house and you have no current actual threat to your own life. I think going back to confront is a really bad idea that just opens yourself up to issues legally and to your health.

In this case he was in the shower and maybe drunk so unless he starts after you I am not sure how dangerous he is AND neither do you going back in. I would have called on duty LEO and watched and observed from a safe but reasonable distance to protect my home. Going back in is the issue here, you are out, your family is out and the guy is in your bathroom. Nothing good can come from re-entering the house without the police.

I am going to ask one of our prosecuting attorneys and see what he says. We have the same type law here to protect your "castle".
This dumb bastage has earned through stupidity a long unhappy time. He might have been better off if he had shot himself instead. The drunk a hole behind the shower curtain may have even thought he was in his own home? As I recall from my shower education featuring Janet Leigh in the movie Psycho, never take a shower. Perhaps this nit whit shooter might be related to Perkins? Oooppppsss Ton y Perkins. Sorry .
NRA Life Member

I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Agree....media gets it all messed up, we don't even know all the details yet but here we are playing judge.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:14 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:

Based on details provided I am in agreement with you.. Left the house so no threat exists.. Call popo and wait..
Now we wait until further details emerge