COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger > Competition Shooting

Old 05-29-2016, 07:40 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAm View Post
I really think you should. Its been a fantastic pistol for me. To give it a quick range report...

I have had a few jams here and there, but normally from me trying to use the slide stop as a slide release. I dont run a heavy enough spring in the gun to do that, and it always do it reliably. You can actually see that happen on one of the stages.

The slide to frame fit is actually not very good...BUT that being said the barrel to bushing and hood fit is fantastic! The gun cycles very smoothly, and I have a feeling that the slightly sloppy fit on the lower half actually helps the gun a lot.

For the money its super hard to beat! If they had made stainless versions when I purchased mine I would have got it, and get a FO front sight as soon as you get it. You wont regret it!

As for the rest of you...that escalated quickly.

My two cents? IDPA isnt training. ing is training, but IDPA is a quick way to learn your platform, and all the ins and out of it with a hint of stress which makes some people just fall apart. I do other real training, but I dont find the two mutually exclusive. From pushing my times to be faster I have learned to trust myself much more. I know I can do a double almost as fast as I can pull the trigger now, and be on target. Competing with people that are better than me helps me gain skill, and make myself a better shooter all the way around. Were as If I got to a class I might get some one on one with an amazing instructor I get to shoot with Master and Distinguished Master class shooters and pick there brain as well. Its a game...no doubt. But at least its a game with practical skills being used.

Not that my opinion matters, but I can live with that assessment.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Well, I certainly agree with that Joe. But serious competitors spend many times more hours at the range practicing than actually competing. Buying ammo for practice was bankrupting me after Obummer got elected. I switched to using a 22 conversion slide for a while, until 22 ammo disappeared. For a while I was practicing with an Airsoft 1911 because it was the only way I could afford to shoot and wore the gun slam out. Then I started casting my own bullets, which was economical, but slowed me down considerably. At that point I went into "Ammo Conservation Mode" and decided to take a break from competing. Now that 22 ammo is loosening up, I'm back to mostly practicing with a 22 conversion slide, and getting serious about it again.

The matches to me aren't really a competition with other shooters. They are a "final exam" if you will, of how well I have been practicing. My first few matches were focused on accuracy and mechanics instead of speed. It took over a year before I could run a clean match. I would THINK I had it all down in practice, but under the pressure of the matches, flaws became evident. As I got to where I could run clean matches, then I started working on speed.

At the beginning I worked with an instructor. That only got me so far. The IDPA matches (and preparation for them) got me much farther down the road than just the training alone.

^^^ is the gun I compete with...and carry.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

Last edited by DrHenley; 05-29-2016 at 10:49 AM.