COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Dan Wesson

Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
dissasemble the pistol and post up pics of the frame, frame rails, barrel link hinge pin, slide release holes, slide rails and slide release lever. Top bottom and sides of all the things listed.

Is this a full stainless gun?

at 800 rounds i would be surprised if you have a week spring. Many of my DW have over 5k with no problems on the recoil spring.

What specifically are you using for lube?

Where are you using it?

How much are you using?
I'll take pics as soon as I can. but to answer the questions I use CLP for lube, and I carry daily. I havent shot it much lately as I am away for work and it is my carry gun here, but I occasionally have to unload and reload, and that is when I am having these issues. I have already had to throw away 6 rounds that have been ruined here, and i only have 3 left in addition to my filled mags. kind of a weird situation, I know haha.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

IMHO, CLP is a great cleaner, lousy lube. If it slides, grease it, if it rotates, oil it. YMMV
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Couple questions;
1.) When you insert a mag does it have any up and down movement after seating?
2.) Can you take a photo of the Lobe and cutouts of the offending Slide-Stop? Although I doubt the Slide-Stop is the problem, it should be checked for wear.

Usually, nosedives are a result of the the breechblock catching too high on the rim or the round not being at the right angle for feed. Since you state it does this with all mags, I also doubt it's the followers. Further, if it's hitting the rim correctly, a weak spring may stop the feed but the round would be partially chambered. I don't remember seeing it but, does it do this with the original magazines?

I think you need to have the magazine-catch looked at. Sounds like it isn't holding the magazines high enough anymore.

The marks on your ramp are normal, big misconception here is that the rounds slide nose-first up the ramp. They don't. They bounce upward off the ramp and into the hood of the chamber. The ramp actually kicks the nose upwards, the nose hits the Hood, slides along the hood, straightening out and sliding up under the Extractor and forward into the chamber. This is all done very fast and with a lot of violence. This is why rounds repeatedly chambered in Carryguns suffer setback.

Also, it is not a Slide-Release, it's a Slide-Stop. the original prints and Field Manuals bear this out. The part is designed to stop the slide from coming forward after the last round is fired and the follower pushes it up into the slide-notch. The user then removes the magazine,pulls back slightly on the slide and depresses the slide-Stop, and then guides the slide forward. Thus saving from allowing the slide to slam home without a round being stripped off to slow it down damaging the pistol. Using the Slide-Stop to release the slide causes premature wear to the Stop and the slide and further, doesn't strip a round and load as effectively.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanks Dave. Great info.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

That is great info, and I appreciate your post.
That said, I have had correspondence with Keith at DW and at this point, I don't think anything is wrong with my gun. I think that the way in which I reload (I'm on the slide release as I slam the mag home), coupled with oldish mag springs (not worn out by any means, but not brand new either), and a very wide style of hollow points just gave me that string of bad luck.
My option is to be slower on the slide release, or simply sling shot the slide.
However, I have been contemplating selling this beauty for a while now, simply because its worth so much, and I could use cash. I could "replace" it with an M&P Shield and use the extra cash to pay bills. I am not decided on it, but it is an option. We will see.
Thanks for all of the help.