COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 11-02-2017, 08:20 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
Now, now. That’s a firearm manufacturer not a specific firearm. Hubris much?
Well, all of their firearms are BA!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:24 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Well, all of their firearms are BadAzz !
Yes they are !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:55 AM
COTEP Member

Today’s Firearm of the Day is.

The Les Baer Monolith:

Baer Custom's MONOLITH is a real monument in steel. It's one bad boy that's as tough and rugged as it looks. The MONOLITH's steel frame has an extra long dust-cover (the only 1911 in the business) that matches the length of the slide. That gives the five-inch slide and the frame a blocky, one-piece appearance...really an awesome look. It also gives the MONOLITH some extra heft on the front end which helps reduce muzzle flip. If you compete in USPSA Limited Class or in Centerfire Bullseye matches, you know the kind of edge that can give you. A guarantee of 3" groups at 50 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

I know a gay primate who has one of those...
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 11-02-2017, 03:51 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post

I wonder how 'Grouchy Les' is doing these days.
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:35 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Why yes I do!!!

Old 11-03-2017, 12:00 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
Why yes I do!!!

Sexy. The gun , not Ell.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:08 PM
COTEP Member

Happy Friday!!!!

Today’s Firearm of the Day is.

The Winchester 1897 “Trench Gun”:

The Winchester Model 1897, also known as the Model 97, M97, or Trench Gun, was a pump-action shotgun with an external hammer and tube magazine manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company. The Model 1897 was an evolution of the Winchester Model 1893 designed by John Browning. From 1897 until 1957, over one million of these shotguns were produced. The Model 1897 was offered in numerous barrel lengths and grades, chambered in 12 and 16 gauge, and as a solid frame or takedown. The 16-gauge guns had a standard barrel length of 28 inches, while 12-gauge guns were furnished with 30-inch length barrels. Special length barrels could be ordered in lengths as short as 20 inches, and as long as 36 inches. Since the time the Model 1897 was first manufactured it has been used by American soldiers,[1] police departments,[2] and hunters.

HistoryEdit

The Winchester Model 1897 was designed by American firearms inventor John Moses Browning. The Model 1897 was first listed for sale in the November 1897 Winchester catalog as a 12 gauge solid frame. However, the 12 gauge takedown was added in October 1898, and the 16 gauge takedown in February 1900.[3] Originally produced as a tougher, stronger and more improved version of the Winchester 1893, itself an improvement on the early Spencer pump gun, the 1897 was identical to its forerunner, except that the receiver was thicker and allowed for use of smokeless powder shells, which were not common at the time. The 1897 introduced a "take down" design, where the barrel could be taken off – a standard in pump shotguns made today, like the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 series. Over time, "the model 97 became the most popular shotgun on the American market and established a standard of performance by which other kinds and makes of shotguns were judged, including the most expensive imported articles".[2] The Winchester Model 1897 was in production from 1897 until 1957. It was in this time frame that the "modern" hammerless designs became common, like the Winchester Model 1912 and the Remington 870. The Model 1897 was superseded by the Winchester Model 1912.[4] However, the gun can still be found today in regular use.

Improvements from the 1893Edit
While designing the new Model 1897, many of the weaknesses present in the earlier Model 1893 were taken into account and remedied.[3] These improvements included:

The frame was strengthened and made longer to handle a 12 gauge  2 3⁄4-inch shell, as well as the  2 5⁄8-inch shell.[3]
The top of the frame was covered so that the ejection of the fired shell was entirely from the side.[3] This added a great amount of strength to the frame of the gun and it allowed the use of a  2 3⁄4 inch shell without the danger of the gun constantly jamming.[5]
The action could not be opened until a slight forward movement of the slide handle released the action slide lock. In firing, the recoil of the shotgun gave a slight forward motion to the slide handle and released the action slide lock which enabled immediate opening of the action. In the absence of any recoil, the slide handle had to be pushed forward manually in order to release the action slide lock.[3]
A movable cartridge guide was placed on the right side of the carrier block to prevent the escape of the shell when the shotgun was turned sideways in the act of loading.[3]
The stock was made longer and with less drop.[3]
Of these improvements, the slide lock is the one that made the Model 1897 into a safe firearm. This improved slide lock kept the shotgun locked until actual firing occurred which prevented it from jamming in the case of a misfire. The slide lock "stands in such a relation to the body of the firing pin as will prevent the firing pin reaching the primer until the pin has moved forward a sufficient distance to insure locking of the breech bolt".[6] This prevents the action sleeve "from being retracted by the hand of the gunner until after firing, and hence rendering the firearm more safe.

Military useEdit

Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun
The Model 1897 was popular before World War I, but it was after the war broke out that sales of the Model 1897 picked up. This was because many were produced to meet the demands of the military. When the United States entered World War I, there was a need for more service weapons to be issued to the troops. It became clear to the United States just how brutal trench warfare was, and how great the need was for a large amount of close-range firepower while fighting in a trench, after they had observed the war for the first three years.[1] The Model 1897 Trench grade was an evolution of this idea. The pre-existing Winchester Model 1897 was modified by adding a perforated steel heat shield over the barrel which protected the hand of the user from the barrel when it became over-heated,[15] and an adapter with bayonet lug for affixing an M1917 bayonet.[1]

Model 1897 adapter that allowed the attachment of the M1917 bayonet
This model was ideal for close combat and was efficient in trench warfare due to its 20-inch cylinder bore barrel. Buckshot ammunition was issued with the trench grade during the war. Each round of this ammunition contained nine 00 (.33-caliber) buckshot pellets. This gave considerable firepower to the individual soldier by each round that was fired.[2] This shorter barrel and large amount of firepower is what made this grade ideal for trench warfare.

The Model 1897 was used by American troops for purposes in World War I other than a force multiplier. American soldiers who were skilled at trap shooting were armed with these guns and stationed where they could fire at enemy hand grenades in midair.[2] This would deflect the grenades from falling into the American trenches and therefore protect American soldiers.[2]

Unlike most modern pump-action shotguns, the Winchester Model 1897 (versions of which were type classified as the Model 97 or M97 for short) fired each time the action closed with the trigger depressed (that is, it lacks a trigger disconnector). Coupled with its six-shot capacity, this made it effective for close combat, such that troops referred to it as a "trench sweeper". This characteristic allowed troops to fire the whole magazine with great speed. The Model 1897 was so effective, and feared, that the German government protested (in vain) to have it outlawed in combat.[16] The Model 1897 was used again in World War II by the United States Army and Marine Corps, where it was used alongside the similarly militarized version of the hammerless Model 1912.

Other military uses of the shotgun included "the execution of security/interior guard operations, rear area security operations, guarding prisoners of war, raids, ambushes, military operations in urban terrain, and selected special operations".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2017, 03:46 PM
COTEP Member

Want one of those......

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
Want one of those......
I agree