COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Mimber

Old 10-05-2014, 04:32 PM
COTEP Member

Kimber lost me way back with their at the time external extractors screwing up...

That and I dated a girl named Kim in high school, still haunts me.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 10-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

I have never bee a big fan of their marketing " Kimber Custom" when nothing could be further from the truth. If you start out with a lie it's difficult to trust them.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 10-06-2014, 11:32 PM
COTEP Member

Default I have several

RCP, compact, pro HDII and a USA Olympic match with the Swartz and external extractor. I have put over 3000 thru the match with no problems. And it can shoot very straight, better than me. None of these 4 have had any problems. I shoot them allot, carry the RCP allot. I own over 40 firearms and have never owned a turd. Must be one lucky person. I will keep my kimbers till I die, would like 2 more 1911's. An ECO and a 6''. My all time favorite pistol is a S&W model 41. I have shot thousands of rounds thru it over 30 years.

Wish my shooting skills were as good as my BBQ skills.
I would have more to BBQ!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big gary View Post
RCP, compact, pro HDII and a USA Olympic match with the Swartz and external extractor. I have put over 3000 thru the match with no problems. And it can shoot very straight, better than me. None of these 4 have had any problems. I shoot them allot, carry the RCP allot. I own over 40 firearms and have never owned a turd. Must be one lucky person. I will keep my kimbers till I die, would like 2 more 1911's. An ECO and a 6''. My all time favorite pistol is a S&W model 41. I have shot thousands of rounds thru it over 30 years.
Me too. Love them.

In hoc signo vinces

COTEP 414
Old 01-04-2015, 11:55 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
I have never bee a big fan of their marketing " Kimber Custom" when nothing could be further from the truth. If you start out with a lie it's difficult to trust them.
That's what was an eye opener for me.

Then I noticed that the other brand 1911's I was buying at that same time were all running great immediately. No "500 round break in " BS required; waiting for MIM parts to smash themselves together, rather than being properly fitted BEFORE the gun was shipped out.

That was when I got over the Kimber Kool aid.

For the last few years; Colt has been the only production 1911 I'll still buy.

Rick

IDPA/NRA Certified Safety Officer/Range S.O.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:36 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
Kimber lost me way back with their at the time external extractors screwing up...

That and I dated a girl named Kim in high school, still haunts me.
Thank goodness I'm not the only. Gaud she was a ..........

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
That's what was an eye opener for me.

Then I noticed that the other brand 1911's I was buying at that same time were all running great immediately. No "500 round break in " BS required; waiting for MIM parts to smash themselves together, rather than being properly fitted BEFORE the gun was shipped out.

That was when I got over the Kimber Kool aid.

For the last few years; Colt has been the only production 1911 I'll still buy.
Kimber makes 60,000 guns a year Dan Wesson makes around 1000. That being said, they are going to have more problems. I know a lot of people that have Kimbers and have been happy with them after a trip or two back to the mothership and some that have sold them instantly after return. I don't have anything against them, there are other guns I would buy before a Kimber.

Now I did it! I used the word that shall not be mentioned.

In hoc signo vinces

COTEP 414
Old 01-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I've had a TLE II for several years. It's had several thousand rounds thru it even +P. It's never been to the gunsmith.

It just works.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 01-06-2015, 11:29 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
Glider,

Don't take all the Kimber bashing you see around here to heart. The guys just like to razz people about owning Kimbers. It's mostly just jokes.

There are some gun snobs here that really do believe their guns are the best on the planet and that all others suck. So be it, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Remember this is the internet and this forum is just like all the others, it's filled with opinions and you know what they say, opinions are like azz*****, everyone's got one!

I love my Kimber. I'll sell my Dan Wesson before I sell my Kimber.
I don't believe you, lol!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:17 PM
COTEP Member

It seems everyone has a Kimber story. I bought my first one, a CPD 15 or 20 years ago. It was a fine little 1911, well built, accurate and dependable enough that I carried it for over 10 years. Sure I couldn't find much Custom Shop about it but it fit my needs perfectly. I sold it for what I had paid for it and thought that was a fine thing. So I bought another Kimber, this one with doodads like a round butt frame and it too was pretty, accurate and dependable. This is turning into a long story on the end of a very old thread so to save ink lets just say the first part of the story has repeated 3 times to my present Kimber Eclipse II Pro. You know that one. Out of the box, first evening, initial take down, unfired. Genius! My very first idiot scratch after more than 55 years of dicking around with 1911s. It is still handsome, still new in the box and unfired and still has the grand canyon looking faint scratch on the frame. I do not know why I am punishing the pistol except bad juju. That is the only Kimber "story" I have. Nice pistols that worked, returned my cash for other "investments." This Eclipse II needs a trip to Kimber for a scratch fix and a home where it can play. I have read the Kimber bashing pieces, have no doubt that those folks were indeed disappointed but my experience has been completely positive and I have no doubt that the Eclipse in my safe is as dependable as the others have been. My carry piece will continue to be my DW ECO until something shoots better and pushed it out of my holster.
NRA Life Member

I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.