COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 AM
COTEP Member

Default Getting CCW and need advide on Holster Pistol Setup

As the title says.. I need some help with my options for CCW. I had titanium hardware put in my back last December so I'm pretty limited considering I still can't wear belts yet. I am 5'10" 155 lbs, so I am pretty thin, so concealing is going to be a challenge. I don't tuck in my shirts, and wear my tshirts fittied. I'm am palnning to have to wear button ups.

1. The pistol options I have RIA Compact Tac, DW V-Bob, and a M&P 40c. I really don't care to carry my expensive Vbob and have if confiscated if something happens. The Vbob is my range and nightstand gun. That's why I bought the RIA. My friend has a Galco Miami classic I am going to try, however I think due to my size the Classic Lite is more lowprofile. I don't know if a belly band will work.

pros-
no new ammo/firearm needed
easier to conceal in cold months

cons-
heavy/may not conceal well
most like cannot conceal in warm months
may not conceal under my button up/may not be able to take off jacket

2. I was looking at a Sig P938 or a Kahr PM9. This gives me the option to pocket conceal, High Noon IWB clip holster, or a belly band.

pros-
Many cheap conceal options iwb clip holster, belly band, coat pocket
Reason to get a new pistola!

cons-
Will have to invest in 9mm ammo (which was a goal eventually!)
Haveto shell out $$ for new pistola

I don't chamber rounds so I am not worried about a discharge.
I feel safer with the Israeli method, by racking the slide when I plan on shooting. I appreciate any suggestions!

Last edited by aqualungs; 10-16-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:31 AM
COTEP Member

Polymer gun(for weight) with an M Tac holster or Panther holster(great weight distribution on each)

I use strictly Panther for OWB polymer carry. They work, and they work perfectly.

I use M Tac for IWB as I prefer horse hide next to my skin if I do not wear a T shirt.

If I am awake I am carrying, both holsters kill the stress of the weight. Be sure to have a very solid belt. A saggy belt will cause more mid section stress than anyone needs.

Ahhh..my mistake, forgot about the belts.......How about getting one of those "back savers" with suspenders that guys wear, like at Home Depot, and have it converted. Maybe mount a holster to it?

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Last edited by milkmanjoe; 10-16-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:45 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
Polymer gun(for weight) with an M Tac holster or Panther holster(great weight distribution on each)

I use strictly Panther for OWB polymer carry. They work, and they work perfectly.

I use M Tac for IWB as I prefer horse hide next to my skin if I do not wear a T shirt.

If I am awake I am carrying, both holsters kill the stress of the weight. Be sure to have a very solid belt. A saggy belt will cause more mid section stress than anyone needs.
That's my issue right now, I can't wear belts, especially leather. I am seriously considering a Galco shoulder holster that my buddy is going to let me try. Otherwise I am thinking of saving myself the trouble and just getting the P938 or Pm9.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:55 AM
COTEP Member

Call Panther. Jim will get you straight. My M&P 40C is on me IWB almost every waking minute and no issues. It is a tuckahoe holster so your shirt options are open.

pantherconcealment.com
Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 AM
COTEP Member

If you are seriously considering the PM9, I would recommend you take a look at the CM9. It is the same pistol, but with a budget price. There are a couple of mostly cosmetic changes which allow Kahr to sell it for hundreds less. Functionality is the same.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGator View Post
If you are seriously considering the PM9, I would recommend you take a look at the CM9. It is the same pistol, but with a budget price. There are a couple of mostly cosmetic changes which allow Kahr to sell it for hundreds less. Functionality is the same.

Good luck to you.
Nice, thanks. I am leaning more towards the P938. I like the night sights, sa trigger, and 1911 style. I read the PM9 was a little better quality than the CM9, but I will look more into comparisons.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

How about Remora Holsters? They work very well.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:31 PM
COTEP Member

Those look good. I think with the pocket pistol it would work. I forgot to mention I wear athletic pants, so I think any type of pant holster is going to de-pants me if I carry my 1911. No one needs to see that!
Old 10-16-2014, 12:41 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
That's my issue right now, I can't wear belts, especially leather. I am seriously considering a Galco shoulder holster that my buddy is going to let me try. Otherwise I am thinking of saving myself the trouble and just getting the P938 or Pm9.
IMO, anything on the sides could give stress due to weight distribution. Some people get relief in Appendix carry.

If you cannot wear belts, suspenders are a great solution. it would move the tension and weight management to your shoulders and distribute it better. I know several guys who wear them and cannot go back to belts. If that works, you don't have to worry about pistol weight or size. In fact, one of the guys I know who wears suspenders does it because he's too skinny and carry a heavy pistol
"The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."
COTEP#CBOB0760
Old 10-16-2014, 12:44 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbonz View Post
How about Remora Holsters? They work very well.
+1

I have a Remora for my S&W Airweight and it works as advertised!

Also, do you have a gun small enough for pocket carry? If you do, I highly recommend a pocket holster from Bob Mika.