COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Dan Wesson

Old 01-19-2015, 01:25 PM
COTEP Member

Thanks for the pictures. I found this thread also where Keith from DW chimes in and says it's normal. The DW slide stop is carbon steel and harder than the SS slide.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=371997

I may be hard chroming this sooner or getting a WC slide stop that has a detent and can prevent further peening. although Glen from DW says there will be no further damage. I know titanse05 said a WC slide stope won't prevent peening, but I read different, that the detent in it prevents it. Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by aqualungs; 01-19-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:46 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
Uh; I don't think so.

Three of my 1911's have stainless slides, and none have any peening of the SS notches. The other four 1911's don't either.

The stainless slide ones are two Colts and one Kimber (I know).

I don't own any DW's though. Is there something different about the design of their slide stops that causes the peening?
This ^, I'd be concerned about it [ not function wise but that's NOT normal on s/s 1911 slides ]. I've never had a s/s slide do that in several makers model 1911's. I'd not accept it as "normal" no matter what DW said.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Nope, not right. Call Keith at Dan Wesson. Send him photos. Something is not working right. Take a look at the other side of the slide stop than what is showing in the photo. The place where it is causing the peening, it should have a slight angle to it.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414

Last edited by Sheepdog; 01-19-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:32 AM
COTEP Member

My only concern is Keith posted this on the thread I mentioned earlier on 1911forum on a valor with very similar Peening.

"This happens after the last round is fed into the chamber. The follower of the magazine forces the slide stop up to the bottom of the slide. When the gun is fired and the slide travels to the back the slide stop has no where to go but up. This in turn forces the slide stop to be pushed out of the notch's with the reward travel and then into the locked back position when the slide returns forward. The stainless slide is about 20 RC softer than the slide stop if memory serves me. Something has to give. In this case it is the slide. Almost all of the Stainless slides will do this. You will see it less on a Carbon 1911 because the slide is much harder. Basically the same as the slide stop.
The "damage" is purely aesthetics."

This is What Glen said when he saw the Pics. So I am torn on what to do. I don't want to keep shooting it and then they end up replacing the slide and I'm breaking in the pistol all over again.. $$$

Glen:

“Unfortunately you are going to have some peening going on in this area due to the slide stop. It is normal to see. Good thing is that it will not continue to get worst. You can use a fine stone or file to remove any high spots if you would like.”
I inquired on the WC slide stop which is supposed to impact the inside portion of the notch and/or Hard Chroming to fix or prevent any further peening (which I will point out he said should no longer peen in the comment above).
“It is OK to hard chrome your gun. It would void warranty of any finish issues on the gun though.
As for a different slide stop, unless there is a difference in design, there wouldn't be a difference.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by aqualungs; 01-20-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added
Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 AM
COTEP Member

I also don't want to start another year long war like I had with my Smith E-series after they damaged it doing repairs, and claimed they "are not resposible for any damage to firearms in their possesion." They didn't even fix the initial issue and the 4x it went back, it came back more damaged. After that they told me "they were only obligated to look at it, not fix it." I don't think DW operates like this, but I would think Keith knows his guns, unless there is an issue and they are only fixing what goes out of spec.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
I also don't want to start another year long war like I had with my Smith E-series after they damaged it doing repairs, and claimed they "are not resposible for any damage to firearms in their possesion." They didn't even fix the initial issue and the 4x it went back, it came back more damaged. After that they told me "they were only obligated to look at it, not fix it." I don't think DW operates like this, but I would think Keith knows his guns, unless there is an issue and they are only fixing what goes out of spec.
I wouldn't own it if they didn't fix it, PERIOD. I've had enough 1911's in s/s config to understand none of the former guns I owned ever exhibited that peening problem. If the slide stop is moving s/s on the slide, the slide isn't heat treated properly [ or should I say adequately ] or the slide stop is hardened more than the s/s slide.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 AM
COTEP Member

Default New DW Valor has significant peening on slide -- How normal is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
I wouldn't own it if they didn't fix it, PERIOD. I've had enough 1911's in s/s config to understand none of the former guns I owned ever exhibited that peening problem. If the slide stop is moving s/s on the slide, the slide isn't heat treated properly [ or should I say adequately ] or the slide stop is hardened more than the s/s slide.

Keth from DW did say the slide was softer than the slide stop and something has to give. I guess the slide stop is made of carbon steel and the slide is stainless. I agree with you, it seems to be hit or miss with them and am wondering why this setup was made and why it's still acceptable. I'm surprised with all the Valor owners there haven't been more photos. I would like to see a stainless slide without peening..

Anyone have Keith's email? I wouldn't mind a second opinion from him..

Last edited by aqualungs; 01-20-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:59 AM
COTEP Member

Sent Keith a message. He's at Shotshow until 1/26, and I will update everyone on what he says.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:03 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Keth from DW did say the slide was softer than the slide stop and something has to give. I guess the slide stop is made of carbon steel and the slide is stainless. I agree with you, it seems to be hit or miss with them and am wondering why this setup was made and why it's still acceptable. I'm surprised with all the Valor owners there haven't been more photos. I would like to see a stainless slide without peening..

Anyone have Keith's email? I wouldn't mind a second opinion from him..
Stainless can be hardened appropriately to prevent this. If their slides are soft enough to allow peening, IMO, there's a problem with the steel maker or DW specs are too soft. I wouldn't accept anything but a new slide that was properly heat treated if mine looked like that for the money spent.

My colt s/s 1911's never had this problem. Obviously it's solveable.

Last edited by brownie; 01-20-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:14 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
Stainless can be hardened appropriately to prevent this. If their slides are soft enough to allow peening, IMO, there's a problem with the steel maker or DW specs are too soft. I wouldn't accept anything but a new slide that was properly heat treated if mine looked like that for the money spent.

My colt s/s 1911's never had this problem. Obviously it's solveable.

Hell, I don't have this problem with over forty Springfields. Even though, I am looking at the Dan Wesson Valkyrie.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!